Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

23 hours ago, chicharito_98 said:

Hi all,

There's a new website out called Vince's Box. It's essentially eBay but without listing fees and only a one-time payment fee to list there for life. I personally know the guy and am wondering if anyone would be interested in selling there. If you have any questions the site has a contact us link where you can ask whatever questions you might have and again I am personally interested in selling there. I already have a few items up just to make sure it's legit but it seems like a good idea even though it is unprofessional. The link to the site is https://vincesbox.com/ let me know what you all think. 

Thanks

How about you just give me your PayPal and I'll just Friends and Family some money to you. We will skip a few steps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You have 4 sets up for sell, and there are 0 other sellers on your site. Also, there is no search bar, so as people list stuff you just have to scroll through 1 page dedicated to EVERYTHING listed on your site. This is extremely poor UI. Your "Why we started" page has grammar errors, and can you at least LINK me to your eBay store so I can have some reference.
I can see that Carlos has sold something, but I can't seem to find what he sold or how much he sold it for. So this appears VERY fishy.
This is so OBVIOUSLY a scam. All your tabs at the top of the site just lead to each other, and NOWHERE on your site do you even EXPLAIN how it works. On your 4 items for sell, I don't know who the seller is(I am guessing you) and if I list something will it just be thrown into your list of items for sale. With no search bar and NO FILTERS, I am to assume that everything that is listed is thrown into ONE HUGE LIST, with NO WAY of organizing it. If there are 10,000 items in your store nobody and I mean NOBODY will scroll through them all, however is numbered 10, 000 will never sell their items. Sales with fees are better than no sales with no fees.
I have seen tons of scam sites x10 better than this, but if it is your first scam site then I can tell you are still working out the kinks!

giphy.gif
You have 4 sets up for sell, and there are 0 other sellers on your site. Also, there is no search bar, so as people list stuff you just have to scroll through 1 page dedicated to EVERYTHING listed on your site. This is extremely poor UI. Your "Why we started" page has grammar errors, and can you at least LINK me to your eBay store so I can have some reference.
I can see that Carlos has sold something, but I can't seem to find what he sold or how much he sold it for. So this appears VERY fishy.
This is so OBVIOUSLY a scam. All your tabs at the top of the site just lead to each other, and NOWHERE on your site do you even EXPLAIN how it works. On your 4 items for sell, I don't know who the seller is(I am guessing you) and if I list something will it just be thrown into your list of items for sale. With no search bar and NO FILTERS, I am to assume that everything that is listed is thrown into ONE HUGE LIST, with NO WAY of organizing it. If there are 10,000 items in your store nobody and I mean NOBODY will scroll through them all, however is numbered 10, 000 will never sell their items. Sales with fees are better than no sales with no fees.
I have seen tons of scam sites x10 better than this, but if it is your first scam site then I can tell you are still working out the kinks!

giphy.gif

I really hope someone may be able to give me some ideas on what to do. I sold a Disney castle used for $400. I shipped it last week and put signature on it. The person never signed for it my tracking alert shows and now it’s showing it is going to the mail recovery center? I don’t know why. My return address is printed on the box. Post office hold is over 1 hour and I filed a claim online. Any other tips on what to do? I tried calling the person and she said the post never even tried to deliver even though it shows they did on their app (does not mean much likely) 

26EB8C36-BC9A-4104-BBE7-05A14CFBC9E7.png

Is anybody shipping product on Facebook Marketplace?  They're currently offering free shipping labels to get people to start shipping.  It still seems way too risky for anything other than a hand-to-hand transaction, but more and more people are accepting Venmo payments for those.

At some point I imaginge FB will give ebay a run for their money, but it seems early yet.  There's no way to avoid a malicious chargback - no seller protection that I'm aware of.  At least Ebay has the appearance of seller protection. 

Edited by enotoga

17 minutes ago, enotoga said:

Is anybody shipping product on Facebook Marketplace?  They're currently offering free shipping labels to get people to start shipping.  It still seems way too risky for anything other than a hand-to-hand transaction, but more and more people are accepting Venmo payments for those.

At some point I imaginge FB will give ebay a run for their money, but it seems early yet.  There's no way to avoid a malicious chargback - no seller protection that I'm aware of.  At least Ebay has the appearance of seller protection. 

Product, yes.  LEGO, no. :wink:

42 minutes ago, Vodium said:

When you get your first ever neutral feedback and it's "Didn't putting tracking on the order, not impressed" on a $7 minifigure shipped internationally when you offer both tracked and untracked shipping methods. :fool:

My reply to neutral feedbacks...😏

tenor.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

you don't use any payment choice.  They pay through facebook,  then 2 weeks later you get paid

oof. how do you all feel about this? seems to benefit the buyer. isn't it, money first, product second? you don't wait for Target to send you something and pay them two weeks later. 

1 hour ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

oof. how do you all feel about this? seems to benefit the buyer. isn't it, money first, product second? you don't wait for Target to send you something and pay them two weeks later. 

I'm guessing Facebook has their own escrow service.  So they hold the money, you send the product, and they release the money after product has been delivered and buyer is satisfied.

48 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm guessing Facebook has their own escrow service.  So they hold the money, you send the product, and they release the money after product has been delivered and buyer is satisfied.

This is the direction ebay is going, isn't it? I haven't read deep into managed payments, but I'm "getting it" in July or something.

Taobao has been this way for years.

Last week I seem to remember there being a discussion regarding the difference between eBay's FedEx shipping estimations and those given on FedEx.com . 

I thought I remembered someone giving a workaround regarding how to get true estimates but I can't find the thread/post? Can someone please direct me to what I am looking for? Thanks.

4 minutes ago, thelovemachine said:

your best bet is go to fedex website.. they have a dimensional weight calculater.

I was just looking at that...If I enter lets say a 20x18x14 box it gives me a dimensional weight of 37lbs. If I then input the box dimensions mentioned and a weight of 37lbs on eBay can I be pretty confident the price I'm quoted is relatively close?

Edited by KvHulk

1 minute ago, KvHulk said:

I was just looking at that...If I enter lets say a 20x18x14 box it gives me a dimensional weight of 37lbs. If I then input the box dimensions mentioned and a weight of 37lbs on eBay can I be pretty confident the price I'm quoted is relatively close?

Yes, but I've been told off by FedEx clerks when I then used this weight in my package label. You're supposed to put in the actual weight, and in your accounting reserve the dimensional weight. *SIGH*

It would be so easy for EBay to just do a max(weight, dim weight) on the price calculation, but nooooo.....

• Like 2

I have a buyer who USPS couldn't access delivery... so they held his lego.  I msged him and he said he'd go pick it up.  He didn't and it's on its way back to me and he is asking me to reship it to him.  I said i'll look into it... but what do you guys recommend?

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Yes, but I've been told off by FedEx clerks when I then used this weight in my package label. You're supposed to put in the actual weight, and in your accounting reserve the dimensional weight. *SIGH*

It would be so easy for EBay to just do a max(weight, dim weight) on the price calculation, but nooooo.....

I asked the Fedex guys and they say... some scanner on the belts do the dim weight calculation.  I think they charge whichever is higher.. the weight or the dim weight.  They never weigh the box when they give me receipt for the dropoff.

6 minutes ago, thelovemachine said:

I have a buyer who USPS couldn't access delivery... so they held his lego.  I msged him and he said he'd go pick it up.  He didn't and it's on its way back to me and he is asking me to reship it to him.  I said i'll look into it... but what do you guys recommend?

I asked the Fedex guys and they say... some scanner on the belts do the dim weight calculation.  I think they charge whichever is higher.. the weight or the dim weight.  They never weigh the box when they give me receipt for the dropoff.

I would tell him he is going to be paying for me to re-ship.  I had this situation with an overseas shipment.  Tracking told me they tried multiple times to deliver and it ended up back at my house.  He paid the $24 for it to go back to him.  

1 minute ago, Huskers1236 said:

I would tell him he is going to be paying for me to re-ship.  I had this situation with an overseas shipment.  Tracking told me they tried multiple times to deliver and it ended up back at my house.  He paid the $24 for it to go back to him.  

May be stupid question, how do you have him pay you for shipping? 

11 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Ok. At least I now have a basis to estimate some invoices. I'll calculate the costs with actual box dimensions and dimensional weight but print the label with actual weight. This way I'm covered. Thanks, Phil.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thelovemachine said:

May be stupid question, how do you have him pay you for shipping? 

I simply told the person that since the address was correct and they didn't receive, that I would need shipping paid for again to re-send or they could get a refund minus shipping.  They were actually super cool about it and paid the shipping.  

I'm more than happy to go the extra mile for a customer if I'm the one that messed up on an order.  However, I do draw the line at the buyer's mistake, especially on International shipping rates.

On 5/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, MusiKyle said:

I have someone who immediately opened a claim on eBay stating item not delivered.  USPS says item delivered on front porch/door.  Insurance was only up to $50 (my bad).  It was Destiny's Bounty $205 + shipping charge.  What are my options?  If someone stole it I can't do anything about that but I know eBay favors the buyer.  The buyer did note a USPS claim number and that they'll search through next Thursday.  Do I have many options beyond claiming $50 and refunding the difference?

Buyer has 100% feedback (9 transactions) and based on the address doesn't live in a crappy part of town.

As a follow up, eBay did finally close the case in my favor.  I'm glad I didn't get the short end of the stick but the best this lady is going to get is $50 insurance from USPS.  She's basically out $175 net.

I know it's not my problem but I feel really bad and helpless toward the issur.  Wish there was more I could do for her.  I don't actually lose sleep over it but it's a somewhat similar feeling.  Like a vet that tries their best but the cat or dog still dies.  It's sometimes part of the gig but sucks.

6 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

As a follow up, eBay did finally close the case in my favor.  I'm glad I didn't get the short end of the stick but the best this lady is going to get is $50 insurance from USPS.  She's basically out $175 net.

I know it's not my problem but I feel really bad and helpless toward the issur.  Wish there was more I could do for her.  I don't actually lose sleep over it but it's a somewhat similar feeling.  Like a vet that tries their best but the cat or dog still dies.  It's sometimes part of the gig but sucks.

Was this shipping included? If so, why would she get any insurance payout? The insurance is to protect you, not the buyer, right?