Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

From what I am seeing the fees went from 10 % eBay fees plus 3% PayPal fees to 12.5 % eBay fees. Both have .30 transaction fee and both will be charging the fee on the total amount including the sales tax portion. 

You are saying that you are already signed up through Ebay Managed Payments and they are charging you 12.5% plus the $0.30 or are you saying that you are reading this somewhere? Basically asking if you have firsthand knowledge haha. 

Nevermind, just found the fee schedule... looks like fees go up from 10% to 12.35% plus the $0.30... So, I guess it is $6.50 cheaper / $1000 in sales compared to the old Ebay/PayPal way. Also, I see that they charge 1.65% for international buyers currency conversion, which would put it at 14%... exactly the same as the old payment method.

Paypal keeps the fee even on a return.. will ebay do that?  sucks paypal does that.

Ebay says "If you need to refund the buyer or cancel the sale, you MAY be eligible for a credit of the variable percentage portion of the final value fee provided that you refund the buyer in full in resolution of a return or cancellation request. The $0.30 per order fee will not be credited."

So maybe yes, maybe no?

17 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

I'm assuming everyone else got the email from Ebay about their new payment system changes? No more going through PayPal. Should save the 3% PayPal fees now and Ebay says it will just charge a flat $0.30 transaction fee. Seems like a good deal on paper... We shall see how it turns out.

I have not received any email about payment changes.  So buyers can't use paypal and sellers can't accept paypal now?

I have not received any email about payment changes.  So buyers can't use paypal and sellers can't accept paypal now?
They said that PayPal is still accepted along with credit, debit, Google pay and apple pay... I guess they won't be charging the full 3% from PayPal though

2 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:
6 minutes ago, stackables said:

They said that PayPal is still accepted along with credit, debit, Google pay and apple pay... I guess they won't be charging the full 3% from PayPal though

What do you mean "they won't be charging the full 3% from paypal".  They don't charge it, paypal does.

What do you mean "they won't be charging the full 3% from paypal".  They don't charge it, paypal does.
I don't know what to tell you. Ebay will be charging 12.35% + $0.30/transaction. That is all sellers will be charged regardless of buyers form of payment.

Money from sales will be deposited directly into the sellers bank account 2 days after the sale. No longer being deposited into PayPal.

Sorry if this has already been addressed earlier...hoping someone can refresh my memory. Didn't eBay purchase PayPal in the early 2000s? Then they divorced at some point, but now they're back together. Is this new managed payment system a final parting of the ways, or is PayPal just being absorbed into eBay?  

1 hour ago, Lego Lass said:

Sorry if this has already been addressed earlier...hoping someone can refresh my memory. Didn't eBay purchase PayPal in the early 2000s? Then they divorced at some point, but now they're back together. Is this new managed payment system a final parting of the ways, or is PayPal just being absorbed into eBay?  

Nope. eBay spun off Paypal 5-6 years ago.  The Managed Payment is eBay working with other payment company, completely separate from Paypal

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Nope. eBay spun off Paypal 5-6 years ago.  The Managed Payment is eBay working with other payment company, completely separate from Paypal

Thanks for the clarification. And by the way, I received a message on eBay this week strongly encouraging me to register for the new system... "To ensure you are ready in advance of the change and that there are no interruptions to your business, you will need to register by July 15th, 2020."  

Thanks for the clarification. And by the way, I received a message on eBay this week strongly encouraging me to register for the new system... "To ensure you are ready in advance of the change and that there are no interruptions to your business, you will need to register by July 15th, 2020."  
That's the same email I got. I went ahead and did the registration. From what I read they expect most sellers to be on the new system by the end of the year. Only those who sell in certain categories won't for some reason, but I remember currency being one of them. Eventually the new system will be mandatory.
  • Like 2

Well, a bit of a shift from the topic. I dropped off eight packages at the PO on Wednesday and only five of them were scanned. It took until today for two of them to hit the regional hub in Memphis, but the last one is still MIA. Contacted the PO and they were helpful and responsive, but it isn’t like there’s much they can do until it hits a scan somewhere along the way. This last one is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and the buyer hasn’t sent a message but we’ll see.

Well, a bit of a shift from the topic. I dropped off eight packages at the PO on Wednesday and only five of them were scanned. It took until today for two of them to hit the regional hub in Memphis, but the last one is still MIA. Contacted the PO and they were helpful and responsive, but it isn’t like there’s much they can do until it hits a scan somewhere along the way. This last one is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and the buyer hasn’t sent a message but we’ll see.

I’ve had a few of these. Most buyers have been patient and understanding if you over communicate.

13 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

I ran into one of these a while ago.  I put it into the PO drop box and it wasn't scanned into a PO until it was 3/4 of the way to its destination and of course, it was running late.  Since then, I take the extra time to drop stuff off at the counter and get a receipt for them receiving it (the first scan).

In my experience, if the tracking shows it getting stuck, the best thing to do is knock on the PO a bit.  It's amazing to me how all of a sudden the package starts miraculously moving again.

Case in point: I'm in the middle of one of these right now.  3-Day priority shipping for my largest set $750 (insured).  It should have been delivered this past Thursday.  All the tracking said was "in transit".  After it wasn't delivered by 8PM, which is what the tracking said was going to happen, and then it was changed back to "in transit," I filed a missing package report.  Friday late-morning I received a phone call from the destination PO telling me it hadn't left my local PO.  I contacted my local PO and they told me, it had moved onto the next PO but hadn't been scanned.  Coronavirus causing delays... blah, blah, blah (I'm in NJ btw, so yes, it's a real thing here and at least 4 workers are sick in our local PO) but ALL my other packages have already been delivered (past tense,) including those I dropped off on Tuesday, 5/5. (Dropped off 8 on Mon, another 5 on Tues - all except this one have already been delivered and this one is still in NJ... *facepalm*).

This morning (5 days after I dropped it at the PO in person) it showed up at my regional PO in NJ.  *sigh*  It'll be lucky to get to him within a week at this rate.  So much for 3-day shipping but praise God it's back on the radar.  

I ended up writing the guy an email describing everything going on, what I did, how the PO responded, and where we go from here.  You can also turn on updates for tracking a package, so I now receive a text message every time this package gets updated.

17 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so do any you guys use the shipping price to "subsidize" the price of the item?  This kind of thing infuriates me because it messes with filters (I guess that the point) and undermines the ebucks things a bit...but is the main reason to minimize tax?

I do not inflate shipping. I make shipping FREE. The consumer is savvy enough (in my opinion) to factor in the total price including shipping. Especially when selling at Buy It Now format (which is what I do). 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so do any you guys use the shipping price to "subsidize" the price of the item?  This kind of thing infuriates me because it messes with filters (I guess that the point) and undermines the ebucks things a bit...but is the main reason to minimize tax?

I charge actual shipping cost.  I do not charge for shipping supplies or when I add insurance either.  So most of the time I'm "loosing" money on shipping even when they pay for it.

By charging shipping you're basically loosing sales from further away as the shipping cost becomes prohibitive.  So if you want more sales, and you've got a good profit margin, then free shipping is definitely the way to go.  

I charge actual shipping cost.  I do not charge for shipping supplies or when I add insurance either.  So most of the time I'm "loosing" money on shipping even when they pay for it.

By charging shipping you're basically loosing sales from further away as the shipping cost becomes prohibitive.  So if you want more sales, and you've got a good profit margin, then free shipping is definitely the way to go.  

Right now things are selling so fast that it doesn't seem to matter though about losing sales from further away.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gonkalin said:

I do not inflate shipping. I make shipping FREE. The consumer is savvy enough (in my opinion) to factor in the total price including shipping. Especially when selling at Buy It Now format (which is what I do). 

I do free shipping as well.  I'm in the middle of the country so coast to coast will cost me about the same.

I live on the East coast and used to offer free shipping. I grew tired of losing money to shipping on the West coast, so now I charge actual shipping. I factor the cost of shipping to Chicago to price my items up. It has been a better approach for me. The reality is that it is expensive to ship to the West coast and pricing up an item to include the actual cost of shipping to LA or Seattle makes it impossible to sell. Well, this is my experience anyway.

• Like 6

I live in PA and charge actual shipping if the package is going to be over a pound and has to go Priority Mail. For First Class less than a pound, I give free shipping because the difference in actual shipping cost depending on the destination is negligible. I
have had plenty of sales to people on the West Coast, so charging for shipping hasn’t seemed to deter everyone.