Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

3 minutes ago, Mgip21 said:

Looking for a little help 😬. Sold a $380 set to an Oregon address. When I go to print shipping In red eBay say “failed to obtain service from Usps. Ship to province is invalid or unsupported” & “there is a problem with the ship to address. Please amend here”. So the address is correct on the left little window but then when you click on the problem address it says instead of Oregon it has Alabama and allows me to change it but then once I do it says seller protection  might not be available if I shipped a different address.  I will be shipping to the correct address on the label and the one customer provided.  I’m not sure where the Alabama came from.   Any suggestions. Of course I can’t put a call into eBay and online not available. 
thank you 

This is what I would do:
1. Take a screenshot of the error for your documentation.  DO NOT change the address at any circumstances, not for $380 order
2.  Cancel the order and select "problem with address".  You will lose Paypal fee on this
3. Here is the tricky part. If you think this was an honest mistake, you can message buyer and ask them to reorder with correct address.  Or, you can block them and move on

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Ask the buyer? Tell them what you’re seeing and let’s see what their response is. Let them know that you won’t send it unless the address is verified.

He did verify that the Oregon address is correct but eBay will not let me use FedEx shipping there. Smh 

12 minutes ago, Phil B said:

have you tried going via Paypal to ship (assuming this was paid through Paypal)? Or just doing www.paypal.com/shipnow and manually enter the address?

I did try PayPal and cannot use FedEx only UPS or Usps. Of course it’s $14 more to use priority over Fed ex Ground but I guess better off doing that then doing it at the FedEx store. Thank you 

11 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

This is what I would do:
1. Take a screenshot of the error for your documentation.  DO NOT change the address at any circumstances, not for $380 order
2.  Cancel the order and select "problem with address".  You will lose Paypal fee on this
3. Here is the tricky part. If you think this was an honest mistake, you can message buyer and ask them to reorder with correct address.  Or, you can block them and move on

Even though he verified the address and it matches what he has on there only eBay?  Not sure why ebay has it different in somewhere you can’t see? If I just shipped going to the Postal Service or FedEx everything would be normal and I’d know no difference.   I’ve shipped of these type addresses before and everything’s been fine so I think I’m just going to either use PayPal or take it to the FedEx office. And PayPal has it correct just eBay does not

3 minutes ago, Mgip21 said:

Even though he verified the address and it matches what he has on there only eBay?  Not sure why ebay has it different in somewhere you can’t see? If I just shipped going to the Postal Service or FedEx everything would be normal and I’d know no difference.   I’ve shipped of these type addresses before and everything’s been fine so I think I’m just going to either use PayPal or take it to the FedEx office. And PayPal has it correct just eBay does not

Ok. When you said address changed to Alabama, I thought this was potential scam, thus my answer.

I assume the address is a PO Box then? Fedex does not ship to PO Box

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Ok. When you said address changed to Alabama, I thought this was potential scam, thus my answer.

I assume the address is a PO Box then? Fedex does not ship to PO Box

The address the customer provided is the same address he verified in message. I’m not sure where eBay got Alabama. Because it shows actually on the label page Oregon but then when I click the fix problem they have Alabama listed and won’t allow me to purchase postage.  I’ve never seen anything like it, but no it is not a post office address it’s a street address so fed ex will ship their. Thank you 

Edited by Mgip21

3 hours ago, firstofminifigs said:

I have received payment for this item however have not yet shipped it. How to proceed? Odd thing is that it was a buy it now/best offer listing. 

Just do what it says, do not ship the item, etc etc.  At some point, Paypal may need to remove the payment from your account.  They will email you and you should not need to do anything either 

• Like 1

Good ol' Toycentric has purchased quite a few things from me over the years and never put the pieces together until a few months back realizing that they are selling on Amazon for items they don't necessarily have and then buying elsewhere, like on Ebay, and shipping that way, just like a dropshipper.  

So...they just purchased a Tower of Orthanc from me and paid.  I have no issue with shipping this but is it proper considering what is going on with the method of what they are doing?

25 minutes ago, supergman said:

Good ol' Toycentric has purchased quite a few things from me over the years and never put the pieces together until a few months back realizing that they are selling on Amazon for items they don't necessarily have and then buying elsewhere, like on Ebay, and shipping that way, just like a dropshipper.  

So...they just purchased a Tower of Orthanc from me and paid.  I have no issue with shipping this but is it proper considering what is going on with the method of what they are doing?

Decide for yourself:

• Like 1

Doing business with ToyCentric makes sense for most sellers.  But, be sure that ToyCentric will have ZERO respect for your resource or feedback rating - based on their business model.  They'll also use every angle and loophole to transfer their business problems to you - immediately.  That's your exposure - the cost of doing business.

Part of what makes Ebay work is the personal connection and pride of service that many users experience - ToyCentric does a phenomenal job of destroying these.  

The best way to protect yourself is to know exactly who and where ToyCentric is.  As far as I can tell, it's one person - Michael Wimmer of Leander, TX.  It's a huge advantage to open a direct and effective line of communication if problems arise.  It's important to avoid vendor triage - 3rd party run-around when dealing with dropshippers.   Just go straight to the source of the problem.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, supergman said:

I have never had an issue with the guy his money spends just like all the rest.

Just checked his Amazon account looks like he got canned? 

Edited by asharerin

On 3/27/2020 at 7:29 AM, firstofminifigs said:

I have received payment for this item however have not yet shipped it. How to proceed? Odd thing is that it was a buy it now/best offer listing. 63b02b65e68c2acb682506c6426163aa.jpg

In January I actually got this for that $300 modular set,  but it was past 90 days and Payment had cleared months before. Nothing happens but a very strange msg to get. Good luck!

Hey, very late last night I sold a 75212(Kessel run) to a buyer for $178.99. The buyer sent a $150 offer while I had it listed for $180. I told them that last week I had it at $225 and I just slashed it down $45. The lowest I wanted to go was $178.99. This morning, I awake to find that the buyer did in fact purchase it. I logged into PayPal and the payment went through under the name Landon ********, On ebay the name was Owen ********. Last names were the same. I had already paid shipping but decided to look up address. I feel totally fine sharing it because it is a business address for a Small Dog Studios a business development service(

1420 Forster Blvd SW

North Bend, WA 98045

)

I messaged the buyer and said this:

I will ship this item out. However, I want you to note that you are a new buyer and most sellers are wary of that. I will sell this to you and I will ship it. I am just saying that from the moment I ship this the LEGO set is in brand new condition. I have shipped tons of LEGO sets with USPS and all of them have arrived perfectly. If in fact you are a legit buyer, that you can understand my concerns. However, if you are not as you appear you are, just know that I will not be doing any refunds, exchanges, or returns. But you have nothing to worry about if you are genuine so have a nice day! and stay safe!

I am still planning on shipping this out, however waiting until I have a response from the buyer that I feel comfortable with.

Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions? I am having plenty of sales so cancelling this one won't phase me.

Forget to mention the buyer account was created Mar 28 2020 and has 0 feedback. 

Edited by Saruman
I forgot to add something

18 minutes ago, Saruman said:

I messaged the buyer and said this:

I will ship this item out. However, I want you to note that you are a new buyer and most sellers are wary of that. I will sell this to you and I will ship it. I am just saying that from the moment I ship this the LEGO set is in brand new condition. I have shipped tons of LEGO sets with USPS and all of them have arrived perfectly. If in fact you are a legit buyer, that you can understand my concerns. However, if you are not as you appear you are, just know that I will not be doing any refunds, exchanges, or returns. But you have nothing to worry about if you are genuine so have a nice day! and stay safe!

I am still planning on shipping this out, however waiting until I have a response from the buyer that I feel comfortable with.

Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions? I am having plenty of sales so cancelling this one won't phase me.

Forget to mention the buyer account was created Mar 28 2020 and has 0 feedback. 

That's a weird message to send ... what are you trying to accomplish with that message? Either you ship to a 0 feedback new buyer or you don't. I see no reason why you shouldn't ship. Lots of people are looking for LEGO to build right now, and many are exploring EBay as Amazon has ridiculous shipping times right now. Better make their first experience a good one.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

That's a weird message to send ... what are you trying to accomplish with that message? Either you ship to a 0 feedback new buyer or you don't. I see no reason why you shouldn't ship. Lots of people are looking for LEGO to build right now, and many are exploring EBay as Amazon has ridiculous shipping times right now. Better make their first experience a good one.

I feel like I have noticed a few more 0 feedback (new) sellers than normal in the last couple of weeks. We have to remember, with 67 gazillion (more or less) people on this planet, we are going to see new buyers pop up all the time. That is a good thing...our audience is growing.

If I received that message as a new buyer, I would be quite put off. You have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are a straight forward decent human being...and then go from there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, odysea11 said:

I feel like I have noticed a few more 0 feedback (new) sellers than normal in the last couple of weeks. We have to remember, with 67 gazillion (more or less) people on this planet, we are going to see new buyers pop up all the time. That is a good thing...our audience is growing.

If I received that message as a new buyer, I would be quite put off. You have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are a straight forward decent human being...and then go from there. 

Thanks, I feel a lot more comfortable. I was too rash and quick to judge.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Saruman said:

Thanks, I feel a lot more comfortable. I was too rash and quick to judge.

In the future I would suggest taking pictures of the set again and send to the buyer in a message:

• that shows condition of box and seals,
  • inside the box showing proper cushioning,
  • and then a final picture of sealed box as dropped off at deliver

With a note saying "well packed and ready for delivery; enjoy the set!" and note any conditions of sale such as a no return policy...basically you are providing photo evidence to thwart any shenanigans. Not sure if this will prevent a future conflict; but couldn't hurt.

I typically do this for >$200 sets...puts everyone at ease but also a warning to scammers that i am proactive and not an easy target.

4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

In the future I would suggest taking pictures of the set again and send to the buyer in a message:

• that shows condition of box and seals,
  • inside the box showing proper cushioning,
  • and then a final picture of sealed box as dropped off at deliver

With a note saying "well packed and ready for delivery; enjoy the set!" and note any conditions of sale such as a no return policy...basically you are providing photo evidence to thwart any shenanigans. Not sure if this will prevent a future conflict; but couldn't hurt.

I typically do this for >$200 sets...puts everyone at ease but also a warning to scammers that i am proactive and not an easy target.

The problem with this is: the buyer expects the set to ship. Not a whole story about everything you've done, and stressing things like "I have a no return policy". Anything but a message saying "Item will send on xxxx we appreciate your business" will only serve to set off red flags on the buyer's side. And if they are a scammer, they will scam you anyways, no matter what you send them in terms of pictures. Same for your "no returns" policy - EBay will force you to accept a return if the buyer (for valid or scammy reasons) decides to file a claim against you.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1

Phil is right. Sending messages like those just do not make any sense. If a buyer pays for an item, you ship it. No need to send them crazy messages or assume they are trying to scam you. If it does happen later, then take the appropriate steps to deal with it at that time. Of course there are bad buyers out there, but most are good.

Would you want a seller to treat you like that simply b/c you are a new buyer? Everyone had to start somewhere. You have to give people the benefit of the doubt until they show you otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 1:09 PM, raulaco said:

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with people buying there lego from china on ebay but with a uk address, or other country's addresses it dosn't really matter.

Basically lately I've had quite a few popular items being sold via ebay that's been bought from Chinese sellers with a Uk address, is this normal? I'm guessing there buying to sell in there own country. I've noticed quite alot of 70618 being bought up by people, are these worth more in china and the chinese are stock pilling them in the Uk.

I'm not saying anyone's up to know good as for my items at least they are paying straight away with a registered uk address regardless of there feedback. I am happy to send but a little cautious due to how quickly things are selling and how many some people are buying from multiple sellers.

I'm obviously really happy to sell things quick but it would be good to know if others have had any experience with this.

Any opinions would be great.

I do very well selling to Chinese buyers shipped to a UK address. Southall seems popular. 

It's exactly the same as when I buy from a US seller and have the goods shipped to an address in New Hampshire. 

7 hours ago, Phil B said:

The problem with this is: the buyer expects the set to ship. Not a whole story about everything you've done, and stressing things like "I have a no return policy". Anything but a message saying "Item will send on xxxx we appreciate your business" will only serve to set off red flags on the buyer's side. And if they are a scammer, they will scam you anyways, no matter what you send them in terms of pictures. Same for your "no returns" policy - EBay will force you to accept a return if the buyer (for valid or scammy reasons) decides to file a claim against you.

I agree...Ebay has forced me to refund money on a returned set.  The set was opened and the seals broken.  After shipping costs and loss of opened set...it was a very significant loss.  

Based on the email the buyer sent.  The derived scenario was a husband bought a set, opened it, his wife found out and made him return the set.  Ebay sided with the Buyer. I had pictures of the sealed set before and pictures of the set after.  Ebay did not care.  They returned the set and I had to refund the money.  I got burned.  Cost of doing business.  Luckily...I've had only 3 returns in 8 years.