Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

10 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

I have an issue with a sale where a set did not arrive on time using the “Fast and Free” shipping method USPS Priority Mail. For some reason the set went from San Fran to Los Angeles back to San Fran then to San Jose for delivery. I got dinged on my metrics for item not delivered on time no feedback yet from buyer. I thought that as long as I shipped within 1 Buisness day and used the required shipping service eBay takes the responsibility and issues the buyer a $5 voucher. 

Anyway I called eBay today to clarify and see if I could get the strike removed and they have no phone support for buyers or sellers due to the health situation  hopefully when the reopen they will be understanding. 

What happened was distribution centers were turfing it, due to people callin in sick etc.  In Detroit, they shut down the distribution center and left 96 trailers sit.  Ugh..

WHere do you see the ding to metric? You mean late shipment rate?

Edited by thelovemachine

13 hours ago, thelovemachine said:

What happened was distribution centers were turfing it, due to people callin in sick etc.  In Detroit, they shut down the distribution center and left 96 trailers sit.  Ugh..

WHere do you see the ding to metric? You mean late shipment rate?

It is under selling metrics report. I was looking at my sales increase now up over 900% compared to same 30 day period last year. There are two shipping metrics one for uploading tracking which is always at 100% since I use eBay shipping the other is for delivery (not sure if this was affected by the “Fast and Free” option) but it still shows as arrived late but has been removed (Now coded grey it was orange) and no longer counts towards the 3% allowable late rate. I believe a late shipment counts for 1 year until it goes away. 

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

It is under selling metrics report. I was looking at my sales increase now up over 900% compared to same 30 day period last year. There are two shipping metrics one for uploading tracking which is always at 100% since I use eBay shipping the other is for delivery (not sure if this was affected by the “Fast and Free” option) but it still shows as arrived late but has been removed (Now coded grey it was orange) and no longer counts towards the 3% allowable late rate. I believe a late shipment counts for 1 year until it goes away. 

rolling 90 days unless under certain amount of sales,  then its 1 year.   

• Like 1

To add to the shipping woes ... I've had packages that I dropped off but were never scanned.  A few have been sitting for days with no tracking update.  Hopefully Timmy, the post office worker's son, didn't get a free new LEGO collection.  One buyer complaint so far but I expect more to come in today.

Good times...

Like many of you, I noticed the uptick in eBay sales, so I put up a lot of my sets and items.  No issues so far outside of some fraud that eBay caught quickly.

Well today after a 1267 feedback tally and 19 years casually selling, I got my first negative.  A buyer who has a tally of 2 gave me a negative.  What for you ask -- "The horse was not in package as originally displayed."

Ahem, there is no horse in any of the pictures!!!!!!

I take it I'm SOL, but let me know if I have any recourse with eBay.  There is no horse pictured anywhere, and I state in the listing that you will receive the items exactly as pictured.

I sent the seller a nicely toned note saying that I'm sorry they had a bad experience, but it was unclear from their feedback what the problem was and that I would like to help.

Ugh...thanks in advance for the help.

And because I had not sold much over the last several months, I am now at a 97.6% feedback rating.

Edited by trstnkn

On 4/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, locidm said:

I had the same thing happen to me, also a ninjago city set. Did you have to refund manually? I thought the refund is automatic as suggested by other members here. But the funds are still in my account. Thanks.

I did have to refund the money manually. But not first before calling PayPal to be sure it wasn't a scam. And, No. Fees were returned. It all worked out. Not sure if it was someone trying to trick the system for average selling price. But PayPal told me that the person never filed a formal claim with Ebay. Maybe they just got cold feet. Whatever, it doesn't really matter because the buyer has the right to return the item. So I'd rather cut it off before it got complicated. So I just refunded both parties their money because I did notice the money PayPal money was still in my bank account.

Like many of you, I noticed the uptick in eBay sales, so I put up a lot of my sets and items.  No issues so far outside of some fraud that eBay caught quickly.
Well today after a 1267 feedback tally and 19 years casually selling, I got my first negative.  A buyer who has a tally of 2 gave me a negative.  What for you ask -- "The horse was not in package as originally displayed."
Ahem, there is no horse in any of the pictures!!!!!!
I take it I'm SOL, but let me know if I have any recourse with eBay.  There is no horse pictured anywhere, and I state in the listing that you will receive the items exactly as pictured.
I sent the seller a nicely toned note saying that I'm sorry they had a bad experience, but it was unclear from their feedback what the problem was and that I would like to help.
Ugh...thanks in advance for the help.
And because I had not sold much over the last several months, I am now at a 97.6% feedback rating.

You can send an official feedback revision request, but you can only do so a handful of times. I’d give it a day and send them another note to ask if this was in regard to your order?

If that fails, take a look at the handling times and estimated arrivals. If it showed up a day or two past the expected delivery I’d email CS and tell them you received negative feedback because of late arrival and cite eBay’s updated Covid 19 policy: “eBay will also remove all negative or neutral seller feedback on these transactions, if there's no "Significantly Not As Described" (SNAD) claim.”

Not exactly a 2+2=4 situation but you might be able to argue the content of the feedback doesn’t matter in relation to it being delayed and attempt to invoke the policy.

Need help.  so I recently bought UCS MF on ebay. Paid thru paypal and got instant receipt of sale email. All good right?

Anyway, I message w/ seller (via ebay) and we go back and forth on condition and how awesome the set is..blah..blah. Then he ask if I paid yet...I'm like WTF..paid 2 days ago.

So this is the guy's first ebay sale (he previously was always a buyer); also he's in Canada.  When I check Paypal on my end it says "payment pending seller acceptance"..???

So now we are texting and he's showing me screen captures on his end and also pics of the set. In general I believe him. Seems like he had two emails associated w/ his Paypal acct and for whatever reason it's showing the transaction but he's not seeing the money hit his paypal acct.

So is there something that holds up the seller actually getting the money on large amounts (>$500) that i don;t know about...like some sort of escrow until the package gets shipped...or some other Covid-19 related delay??? 

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

18 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Need help.  so I recently bought UCS MF on ebay. Paid thru paypal and got instant receipt of sale email. All good right?

Anyway, I message w/ seller (via ebay) and we go back and forth on condition and how awesome the set is..blah..blah. Then he ask if I paid yet...I'm like WTF..paid 2 days ago.

So this is the guy's first ebay sale (he previously was always a buyer); also he's in Canada.  When I check Paypal on my end it says "payment pending seller acceptance"..???

So now we are texting and he's showing me screen captures on his end and also pics of the set. In general I believe him. Seems like he had two emails associated w/ his Paypal acct and for whatever reason it's showing the transaction but he's not seeing the money hit his paypal acct.

So is there something that holds up the seller actually getting the money on large amounts (>$500) that i don;t know about...like some sort of escrow until the package gets shipped...or some other Covid-19 related delay??? 

i don't know about your specific case but paypal can require some information from people before they let him accept money so even though he may been selling for years and paid a lot of money from paypal  when it comes to accepting money there is some things ie ss # or bank account information  that the system may require him to put in before he receives the money and it will not show in  his balance before the information is placed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I had a similar experience too and messaged the seller through eBay…

“Hello thank you for the message. I have not received the payment on my Paypal. It says you have paid but the money will not show up. I’m sorry for the inconvenience and I am trying to get it sorted out.”

I contacted PayPal and sent the information to the seller  It was all resolved and shipped shortly thereafter:

“My name is xxxxxx and I will be assisting you further as previous agent is not available.

I can see that the reason why is it that the funds is still unclaimed or unavailable from the seller's end is that their email address is not yet registered to a PayPal account or the email address on their PayPal account is not yet confirmed. You may as well relay this information to the seller. You can also advise them to contact us so we can assist.”

• Like 1

this transaction has me all kinds of confused.

Seller thought the Paypal hold was due to him being a 1st time seller and was waiting on shipping confirmation

He prints label, I see the ebay update that package is being shipped...next day Paypal initiates a refund???

Tried IM-ing Paypal rep (can't call due to CV???); IM-tag back and forth paypal rep just keeps stating the a refund was initiated but won;t disclose by whom and why...

frustrating and due to all this i lose out on 5% ebucks

Here's one, I have an item listed for $45 buy it now with offers turned on.  This person comes and offers $35 and I counter at $40.  He counters again at $35 so I just declined. He then did this two more times.  I block him as a bidder and then he proceeds to do it with 2 other eBay users (all have the same zip code and similar name) so I blocked all of them.  Latest is that he has messaged me offering $35 for the item.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

Here's one, I have an item listed for $45 buy it now with offers turned on.  This person comes and offers $35 and I counter at $40.  He counters again at $35 so I just declined. He then did this two more times.  I block him as a bidder and then he proceeds to do it with 2 other eBay users (all have the same zip code and similar name) so I blocked all of them.  Latest is that he has messaged me offering $35 for the item.

I give him points for persistence. Sometimes it pays off.

1 hour ago, zaphoid said:

Fruitcake.

in other news, Ebay is reporting earning tomorrow COB.

Anyone betting on them blowing away predicted earnings?

I'm not sure what to think about this one.  Rcv'd a message today asking, "could I provide a fedex ground label to pay for my own shipping?"  

I guess he's asking me to provide "Fed Ex ground" as one of my shipping options, but why would he need to "provide" a ground label for me?  Am I just reading too much into his question?  Is Fed Ex considered better than USPS?

Also, this also gets into the Fed Ex shipping via ebay.  Every time I've used Fed Ex, which hasn't been many, my end cost doubles after I have shipped it and I have no idea why.  I've called ebay and they claim it costs $30+ to send larger sets when ebay system charges me only $15.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong via ebay website to use fed ex?

52 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Also, this also gets into the Fed Ex shipping via ebay.  Every time I've used Fed Ex, which hasn't been many, my end cost doubles after I have shipped it and I have no idea why.  I've called ebay and they claim it costs $30+ to send larger sets when ebay system charges me only $15.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong via ebay website to use fed ex?

Likely you get hit with dimensional weight. The EBay shipping screen does not take dim weight into account (though it would be trivially easy for them to do so), while FedEx does when it receives your package. As you ship a lot of air when shipping LEGO, dim weight can increase your costs significantly if you do not account for it when purchasing shipping (i.e. enter the dimensional weight instead of the actual weight of the package). Fedex dim weight calculator can be found here: http://www.fedex.com/in/tools/dimweight.html (EDIT: That link is broken ... haven't used it in a while .. here is the new link: https://pages.message.fedex.com/weight_calculator/)

Edited by Phil B
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Likely you get hit with dimensional weight. The EBay shipping screen does not take dim weight into account (though it would be trivially easy for them to do so), while FedEx does when it receives your package. As you ship a lot of air when shipping LEGO, dim weight can increase your costs significantly if you do not account for it when purchasing shipping (i.e. enter the dimensional weight instead of the actual weight of the package). Fedex dim weight calculator can be found here: http://www.fedex.com/in/tools/dimweight.html

That was weird.  It said "page deleted" a moment ago and then it just changed as I was typing my response.  lol

This is the website I just found thanks to your help: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/packaging/what-is-dimensional-weight.html

Edited by exracer327
Addition...

I guess I should look at the ebay invoices on the fedex shipping.  So I guess ebay just deducts actual costs.  There really isn't an overcharge or undercharge since I assume ebay charges you the actual cost.  Some of my labels show higher actual and others show lower.  I'll stick to USPS when it's the same.  Another PIA.  Easy for ebay to just put the fedex calculater.  But it seems they will only charge dimensional weight if it cost more than the actual weight.