Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Not only have I been on Nextdoor, I am a founding member, the first in my state since 2012. And even I have left it now because I could not keep the beasts at bay. Between masks and Trump, it just got to the point where I had to walk away.  Sad because it really started out with the best of intentions.

For sure. Outs became a shithole during mid-terms because of a school bond issue. Lots of hate from both the yes and no people. Some people were filing false reports to get people banned.

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

For sure. Outs became a shithole during mid-terms because of a school bond issue. Lots of hate from both the yes and no people. Some people were filing false reports to get people banned.

Ours stopped being fun when the death threats started.  I am grateful to ND however for showing me that racism is alive and well in modern day America.  Whodathunkit.

• Like 1

What should I do in this situation?  I have a complete disney series 1 set on ebay 160 obo.  I get an offer today for 160 with the following message "Hello seller, did you still have the item for sale? i have some questions to ask about the item before i proceed with the payment kindly txt(650) xxx-xxxx".  The zip code for the seller is in PA and the number traces back to California.  Buyer has 1 feedback.

What should I do in this situation?  I have a complete disney series 1 set on ebay 160 obo.  I get an offer today for 160 with the following message "Hello seller, did you still have the item for sale? i have some questions to ask about the item before i proceed with the payment kindly txt(650) xxx-xxxx".  The zip code for the seller is in PA and the number traces back to California.  Buyer has 1 feedback.

Do not text them.  Give them one chance to ask the questions via ebay messaging.  If no response, cancel the sale and relist.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rpaulson7 said:

Do not text them.  Give them one chance to ask the questions via ebay messaging.  If no response, cancel the sale and relist.

I have not accepted the offer.  The fact they sent an offer of my asking price and included a text number is really making me suspicious.  I am contemplating declining the offer and immediately block. 

1. Perhaps buyer used to live in CA? I have the same number since college and I have not live there in ages

2. I bet he/she wants a deal outside of eBay

3. Technically eBay frown on the above but it is up to you to text or not

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

1. Perhaps buyer used to live in CA? I have the same number since college and I have not live there in ages :D
2. I bet he/she wants a deal outside of eBay
3. Technically eBay frown on the above but it is up to you to text or not

The 1 feedback doesn't scare you?

I'm surprised that phone number didn't get flagged by ebay automatically.  apparently a simple " throws off their AI.
  • Like 1

I edited the phone number out. Otherwise, carry on.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stackables said:

Ignore. But as for the number, yeah, my number traces back to California and I have not lived there for 15 years.

• Like 1

I almost always use "Buy it Now" on eBay, but recently sold some pre-owned LEGO sets and collectible toys via auction. Sold a total of 7 items, and 3 of them never paid (resulting in ebay stepping in and the buyers getting a negative strike on their accounts). Are others having the same issue with auctions, or is this just a run of bad luck for me? And by the way, the 3 non-paying buyers all had feedbacks ranging from 50-200, and none of them communicated with me prior to or after the sale. What's the deal, people??

whats-the-deal-with-that.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Lego Lass said:

I almost always use "Buy it Now" on eBay, but recently sold some pre-owned LEGO sets and collectible toys via auction. Sold a total of 7 items, and 3 of them never paid (resulting in ebay stepping in and the buyers getting a negative strike on their accounts). Are others having the same issue with auctions, or is this just a run of bad luck for me?

Auctions certainly have more buyers not completing a transaction. Too many variables exist from the time someone places a bid to the close of an auction.

I personally don't expect when I place a bid, to necessarily end up winning the item (of course if I do win, I would still make the purchase). I see it as more of a placeholder , so when the auction nears its end, I will be reminded about it (to check if the price is still worthwhile). I also sometimes bid on an item to kill the "or buyitnow" option for a listing (if it is too low).

People are a mess - Lots of people don't even want what they wanted 5 minutes ago, let alone up to a week or so ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lego Lass said:

I almost always use "Buy it Now" on eBay, but recently sold some pre-owned LEGO sets and collectible toys via auction. Sold a total of 7 items, and 3 of them never paid (resulting in ebay stepping in and the buyers getting a negative strike on their accounts). Are others having the same issue with auctions, or is this just a run of bad luck for me? And by the way, the 3 non-paying buyers all had feedbacks ranging from 50-200, and none of them communicated with me prior to or after the sale. What's the deal, people??

whats-the-deal-with-that.jpeg

I had someone make an offer to me which I accepted...only to find out he/she expected to have another week to "move funds around"...sorry but that wasn't included in your original offer....I give them the extra time ...no $, so I cancelled...surprise surprise they suddenly have the money and can pay...too late I say...now they act like I jolted them.

can't win.

8 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I had someone make an offer to me which I accepted...only to find out he/she expected to have another week to "move funds around"...sorry but that wasn't included in your original offer....I give them the extra time ...no $, so I cancelled...surprise surprise they suddenly have the money and can pay...too late I say...now they act like I jolted them.

can't win.

I love that...I had someone message me awhile back that they would "try to pay for this soon". How about not bidding if you don't have the money readily available? And I learned to be careful with cancellations, since the buyer can still leave feedback in those cases. I just let eBay's resolution center do the dirty work, and once the buyer is hit with a non-payment strike, they are unable to leave feedback for the transaction.

• Like 3

A little update on my situation.  Just noticed the "buyer" received a new positive feedback.  The feedback left was "buyer never paid".  So I am declining the offer and blocking :)

And apparently the buyer tried to steal another sellers paypal info. 

Edited by stackables

1 hour ago, stackables said:

A little update on my situation.  Just noticed the "buyer" received a new positive feedback.  The feedback left was "buyer never paid".  So I am declining the offer and blocking :)

And apparently the buyer tried to steal another sellers paypal info. 

tenor.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Lego Lass said:

I had at least three (of about 40) auctions like that.  At least one sniped the auction at the last second and still didn't pay.  Feedback was around 150-200.  I let ebay do the dirty work and ding all of them for non-payment.

Edited by exracer327
  • Like 1

What is driving me away from auctions are the newbies who place huge bids early on, thus killing any additional bids, and then they never pay.  Completely demolishes the whole point to auctions on ebay - both from a buyer and seller stand point.  On at least two instances, the second place bidder did accept the second chance offer.