Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

On 9/13/2020 at 1:40 PM, LegoLegend420 said:

seriously.  ive never heard more complaining about boxes than on this site.

I have to agree with buyers that getting a damaged box really sucks. I will pay more to go a different buyer than to pay a little less and receive a damaged box. Some things I display the box only. I just don't have the space to build things, so I just leave them in the box and admire them that way. When you go to look at a set and it is damaged, you focus immediately on the box damage and not the item itself. Instead of warm, fuzzy feelings, you get feelings of disappointment that your box is damaged. That is not what I am paying good money for, the feelings of disappointment. This happened to me with my recent $500 Hot Toys purchase. Guy did a very crappy packaging job and it came damaged. So now, every time I look at it, all I am going to think about immediately is how this guy sucks at shipping and even had the audacity to list shipping charges at $50 for a $20 max shipping cost. It makes me want to buy a new one altogether. I didn't ask for a refund and still left positive feedback before telling him how to not suck at packaging (I wasn't mean about it, trust me lol), but it would make me feel a whole lot better about the situation if he had given me a small refund for it. I don't open the Hot Toys boxes, I like it better just sitting in the original sealed box since the box itself displays nicely. You might need to invest in stronger boxes or better bubble wrap if your packages are arriving damaged to buyers.

Edited by capsa77
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DarknessSpreads said:

If you have a set in mint condition the safest thing to do is to double box it.  If double boxed and packaged properly then it will arrive in top shape. 

Put the LEGO set a slightly larger box and reinforce around the sides of the set with firm packaging material like cardboard.  This is very important so the LEGO box itself cannot expand sideways.  If there is empty space on the face of the LEGO set then add some very loose packing paper or bubble wrap.  The box needs room to collapse if it is squeezed.  Then put that box in a bigger box with air bags or packing paper around the sides to absorb energy if it is dropped on its side or on a corner.  On the face of the box, again, add in some packing paper or bubble wrap very loosely so the box has room to collapse.

People make the mistake of wrapping the LEGO sets in several layers of bubble wrap thinking it is helping but it actually makes things worse.  If a heavy box is placed on top of a single boxed LEGO set and there is no free space in the box because it is full of bubble wrap then of course the LEGO set is going to get crushed.  The entire weight of that heavy box is being supported by the LEGO set.  If you leave empty space on the face of the LEGO set to account for the box collapsing then the chance of crushing the set is much lower.  If you double box, leaving room for both boxes to collapse, then almost guaranteed for it to arrive in mint shape.

I am one of the those "minty" box guys.  If I pay top dollar on eBay for a retired set then I expect to receive a mint set.  If I wanted creases then I would bid and buy accordingly.  And if the second box is just a bit bigger than the interior box, the cost of shipping may not be more expensive or just slightly higher.

Just my two bits gained from plenty of experience receiving damaged sets...

What's your eBay user name...I want to make sure that I double box your order if I ever see it come through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Never advertise it as mint. Double box. Take photos.

But they will still complain.

I had an SDCC set I mailed out last year that I did that with, and the buyer still complained and requested a refund from eBay, which eBay forced me to accept.

I got someone on the phone, explained the situation, asked them to look over the messages, and they ruled in my favor within 30 minutes. Gave me back my funds.

Buyer attempted a SNAD case, and course, that wasn’t the case at all.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Never advertise it as mint. Double box. Take photos.

But they will still complain.

I had an SDCC set I mailed out last year that I did that with, and the buyer still complained and requested a refund from eBay, which eBay forced me to accept.

I got someone on the phone, explained the situation, asked them to look over the messages, and they ruled in my favor within 30 minutes. Gave me back my funds.

Buyer attempted a SNAD case, and course, that wasn’t the case at all.

So you got the money and the item returned as well???

1 hour ago, DarknessSpreads said:

If you have a set in mint condition the safest thing to do is to double box it.  If double boxed and packaged properly then it will arrive in top shape. 

Put the LEGO set a slightly larger box and reinforce around the sides of the set with firm packaging material like cardboard.  This is very important so the LEGO box itself cannot expand sideways.  If there is empty space on the face of the LEGO set then add some very loose packing paper or bubble wrap.  The box needs room to collapse if it is squeezed.  Then put that box in a bigger box with air bags or packing paper around the sides to absorb energy if it is dropped on its side or on a corner.  On the face of the box, again, add in some packing paper or bubble wrap very loosely so the box has room to collapse.

People make the mistake of wrapping the LEGO sets in several layers of bubble wrap thinking it is helping but it actually makes things worse.  If a heavy box is placed on top of a single boxed LEGO set and there is no free space in the box because it is full of bubble wrap then of course the LEGO set is going to get crushed.  The entire weight of that heavy box is being supported by the LEGO set.  If you leave empty space on the face of the LEGO set to account for the box collapsing then the chance of crushing the set is much lower.  If you double box, leaving room for both boxes to collapse, then almost guaranteed for it to arrive in mint shape.

I am one of the those "minty" box guys.  If I pay top dollar on eBay for a retired set then I expect to receive a mint set.  If I wanted creases then I would bid and buy accordingly.  And if the second box is just a bit bigger than the interior box, the cost of shipping may not be more expensive or just slightly higher.

Just my two bits gained from plenty of experience receiving damaged sets...

what would you say is the spread on costs that justifies the extra care?

1 hour ago, capsa77 said:

You might need to invest in stronger boxes or better bubble wrap if your packages are arriving damaged to buyers.

why would u do that if you can make additional money off shipping and buyers continue to give positive feedback ?

If I paid $500 for something plus $50 shipping; and arrives damaged box, I will request a discount or return option...if I get neither than it's negative feedback...ofcourse I don't know what you mean by "damage" as that's a standard that's hardly standardized.

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

what would you say is the spread on costs that justifies the extra care?

If the set on auction is relatively new and the box is damaged, then I don't even look at it.  Non-starter.  If's it's older and the damage is minor then I think about it.  I don't know the spread on costs but there are tons of ads on eBay for damaged sets that turn over every month and I don't imagine damaged sets sell very hot on Bricklink.

I have started to message the seller before I bid and ask if they will double box.  If they say no, I don't bid.  If they say yes, then I will bid and if I win send a follow up email with the information I provided in the message above.  I keep a stack of boxes hidden in my apartment for my shipments.  Best way to ensure I have a proper fitting box when I need it.  And there are actually stores in cities that sell used shipping boxes...fortunately for me it is 1 mile away.

After I win an auction I will send the seller an email with my address and ask them to confirm their shipping cost.  If they need more money for the larger double box then I will pay, I just ask to see a receipt of the final shipping cost to make sure the seller is not trying to rip me off.

I am not writing these emails to pontificate but there is certainly ways to ship a mint set and have it arrive as such at the buyer.  I agree with capsa77 that it sucks spending good money on a mint set and getting it with creases, it takes all the fun out of buying that set. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total box snob, I have accepted sets with damage...they were single boxed.  Now I insist on double boxing. 

1 hour ago, legoray01 said:

Critical - New In the Box.  It is without taking on someones opinion.  Mint is a very bad word.  Your mint is not mine.  Made this change to my ads years ago.

I almost always list my items as being new in box, but then specify that the item may have a form of box damage or shelf wear. I'm not about the "Mint" life, and I get that some people are, I just don't have any interest in selling to those people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

why would u do that if you can make additional money off shipping and buyers continue to give positive feedback ?

If I paid $500 for something plus $50 shipping; and arrives damaged box, I will request a discount or return option...if I get neither than it's negative feedback...of course I don't know what you mean by "damage" as that's a standard that's hardly standardized.

If you are shipping a Technics Mercedes Benz Arocs (42043) or Technics Liebherr (42100), you would be crazy to ship that single boxed and expect it to arrive without multiple creases and smashed corners.  They are way too big and heavy, and the LEGO boxes are way too weak to support its weight. 

If someone paid $500 plus $50 shipping, and you could not double box the set for $50, at worst you are being greedy and at best tempting fate.  Just my opinion. :)

9 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

As I get older, I find that I have very little time and patience to accommodate every single requirement/need/demand from "Minty" potential buyers, especially the ones asking for discounts at the end of long email chain.

On the bright side, you young whippersappers have 1 fewer competitor for for this niche market.. :drag:

tumblr_mdmnd6e4KK1qhdwy7o1_500.gif

Edited by spener90
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

As I get older, I find that I have very little time and patience to accommodate every single requirement/need/demand from "Minty" potential buyers, especially the ones asking for discounts at the end of long email chain.
On the bright side, you young whippersappers have 1 fewer competitor for for this niche market.. :drag:

Same.

Is this where we tell to get off our lawn?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of sellers package like ass. That includes retailers and individuals. Can’t stand when I buy an item and it gets damaged because it is shipped in an envelope or just wrapped in paper. Or the seller actually does use a shipping box but overstuffs it with air pillows. Or, the worst, just slapping a shipping label directly onto the product. 

I always just hope for the bare minimum, that the item is shipped in a box with the appropriate amount of void filler. 

5 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I wish! Nope. They kept the item. They legit paid for it, it was as described, there was no reason to return (based in what they submitted).

Knowing how eBay is siding with customers, I wouldn’t be surprised if the buyer the buyer got a full refund from them.

ok, so they likely took the hit to keep up good relations. Happy to hear it though - at least that is better than not.

2 hours ago, Jackson said:

A lot of sellers package like ass. That includes retailers and individuals. Can’t stand when I buy an item and it gets damaged because it is shipped in an envelope or just wrapped in paper. Or the seller actually does use a shipping box but overstuffs it with air pillows. Or, the worst, just slapping a shipping label directly onto the product. 

I always just hope for the bare minimum, that the item is shipped in a box with the appropriate amount of void filler. 

it's worth a message to the seller so expectations are clear.

All my listings, everywhere, say something along the lines of "Brand new in box, factory sealed: May have shelf wear or minor damage. Any major damage will be noted and photos added to auction. Do not purchase from us if you are expecting a mint condition collectable. Sold as a toy to be opened and enjoyed".

Something like that... I have no patience for... anything or anyone, anymore.

(And yes, I package like a pro. How I'd like to receive my items. But I'll be damned if I am going to put myself out there as a mint condition lego guy to buy from.)

• Like 6

Along with the statements about the set having creases, shelfwear, etc. and only stating new in box, I do add a line to my listings about how it will be shipped in an outer box. I've received enough items in bags or (luckily, only a couple) items where the label is pasted to the LEGO box that I figured this sentence could help a potential buyer possibly choose my listing rather than deal with that nonsense from someone else. 

1 minute ago, BillyBricks said:

Along with the statements about the set having creases, shelfwear, etc. and only stating new in box, I do add a line to my listings about how it will be shipped in an outer box. I've received enough items in bags or (luckily, only a couple) items where the label is pasted to the LEGO box that I figured this sentence could help a potential buyer possibly choose my listing rather than deal with that nonsense from someone else. 

I started adding a note about what the items will be packaged in after getting about 3 or 4 unique messages in quick succession to the theme of "please do NOT ship in a bag," "if you're going to ship this in a bag, please cancel the order," "please ship in a box, thanks!"

All my listings, everywhere, say something along the lines of "Brand new in box, factory sealed: May have shelf wear or minor damage. Any major damage will be noted and photos added to auction. Do not purchase from us if you are expecting a mint condition collectable. Sold as a toy to be opened and enjoyed".

(And yes, I package like a pro. How I'd like to receive my items. But I'll be damned if I am going to put myself out there as a mint condition lego guy to buy from.)

Any time I get an inquiry about the “perfect” condition of a box, I always encourage them to buy from someone else.

I really like your line, and may have to borrow it for my listings.

2 hours ago, KvHulk said:

32 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

both good points here.  I'm going to update my listings to include some of this.