Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

12 hours ago, Jackson said:

A lot of sellers package like ass. That includes retailers and individuals. Can’t stand when I buy an item and it gets damaged because it is shipped in an envelope or just wrapped in paper. Or the seller actually does use a shipping box but overstuffs it with air pillows. Or, the worst, just slapping a shipping label directly onto the product. 

Or Amazon just throws a shipping label on the back of a UCS Set during prime days and sends it out the door that way.  Talk about disappointed as the driver handed me my long awaited set.  

9 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

Not sure. The Ebay order details are there but the checkmark for order complete is gray and when I go to print shipping label it tells me the buyer has yet to pay. I'm baffled.

Depending on where you see info (paypal or ebay) I guess I would be following up with paypal, ebay, and the buyer - in that order depending on what I find out from each.  If insufficient, move on to the next.  That's just me though.

32 minutes ago, MarleyMoose said:

Not sure. The Ebay order details are there but the checkmark for order complete is gray and when I go to print shipping label it tells me the buyer has yet to pay. I'm baffled.

Just wait till it is sorted out by eBay.  You are not required to send anything until eBay says the item is paid.

Out of curiosity, does it say payment completed when you look at the transaction on Paypal website?

I've had tons of ebay/paypal fraud in the past 2 months. Nearly every week I have one. A set gets bought then the buyer says they didn't buy the item. I've gotten to where I message the buyer to confirm their intend to buy. I've had about a dozen fraud cases in the past couple months. I finally reached out to eBay to see exactly how I should handle it. They said to keep reaching out to people because that helps if the thief has not taken over the buyer's email as well. Usually the do take over the email account so usually this doesn't fix the problem. Ebay acknowledged that they have had a uptick in fraud. They are blaming Covid. Saying more people are at home. They are bored and many are jobless, hence leading to more theft/fraud. Just wanted to share what I learned. Good news is that as long as you have tracking and you do things correct the buyer would be protected with seller protection. But be sure you have tracking on the item. Also, always make the buyer file a case with eBay fraud. Never refund them the money directly. This is what they told me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarleyMoose said:

PayPal says payment received. All the fees are taken out. Shipping paid with the shipping address. 

So the buyer sent me a screenshot of transaction. On his end and my Paypal it said paid and ready to ship. I'm still not sure what happened. We decided to cancel the order and he'll buy it again. Hopefully it'll work out this time.

Has any other UK users opted out of click and collect addresses?

Had a few orders recently where people have ordered to argos / spar for collections, and either not picked up parcel, or parcel was refused at pick up point, meaning that parcel gets returned to sender and seller loses out on postage cost.

Tempted to opt out but it seems like ebay listings might not get same visibility on default searches if you do.

12 hours ago, MarleyMoose said:

So the buyer sent me a screenshot of transaction. On his end and my Paypal it said paid and ready to ship. I'm still not sure what happened. We decided to cancel the order and he'll buy it again. Hopefully it'll work out this time.

Weird.  Are you close to switching to Managed Payments (eBay should send you an email with exact date) ? Perhaps your account was in between payment systems and caused a hiccup ?

I dont know if we have a list of ebay buyers you should ignore but you can add this one

Account name: pennyagogo

Email: [email protected]

I sent him/her Rebel Combat Frigate late March and it arrived just 2 weeks ago due to covid issues. PayPal refunded the buyer in August. Now there is no power which would force the buyer to pay for the order and he/she has openly stated he/she wasnt going to pay...

5 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

I've gotten my first now... I've paid shipping but luckily not dropped it off.  Email from buyer saying they were hacked and didn't buy.  Can someone please summarize the quick path I need to take?  Have them open a fraud case?

Void shipping label.  Refund on paypal.  Contact ebay to get FVF back.

It's actually easier if u shipped it.  If you shipped it..all you have to do is upload tracking info on paypal and seller protection kicks in and your done.

Both have happened to me enough times.  that's the gist of it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, thelovemachine said:

Void shipping label.  Refund on paypal.  Contact ebay to get FVF back.

It's actually easier if u shipped it.  If you shipped it..all you have to do is upload tracking info on paypal and seller protection kicks in and your done.

Both have happened to me enough times.  that's the gist of it.

Couldn't I still ship and pretend I didn't ask the question?  Of course if it is fraud, they might my box and claim it was broken or whatever else and further the fraud.

I complained to them that doing the right thing is more cumbersome.. all they said is they understand...

hopefully with ebay managed payment its the same system.

I think they can always go beyond paypal and go through financial institution.  but if you follow my steps.... it'll be easier than figuring out the hard way.  it's a time suck to figure out the steps.

a lot of times it may be a kid who bought it and parent wants to cancel but they don't take the time to communicate.  also... you would chat with paypal to get your fee back.  they generally say "since you are longtime loyal customer we will waive the paypal fee"

FWIW.... I've seen more fruitcakes on Lego forums than on eBay. As long as you cover yourselves by shipping to approved addresses and providing tracking, I don't see it as that much of an issue. Then again, apart from Saturn V, all my other sets are smaller and seldom a target for scammers. I also only use GSP for international shipping, NEVER use freight forwarders and I'm wary of Chinese buyers (always "based" in UK) asking for discounts and free postage. Even though I'm new here and relatively new to Lego, I've been on eBay for nearly 20 years.

One thing I've not asked before.... Is there a way for a non-shop seller on eBay to limit buyers to 1 item only? I just don't want to sell to competitors or box tarts.

19 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

I've gotten my first now... I've paid shipping but luckily not dropped it off.  Email from buyer saying they were hacked and didn't buy.  Can someone please summarize the quick path I need to take?  Have them open a fraud case?

As a follow-up...  The eBayer contacted eBay to say their account was hacked and eBay actually canceled the transaction from their end.  I still ended up with the money in my PayPal account which I transferred to my bank account already.  I guess I am to attempt to push that same amount back into my PayPal account and await further instructions on processing a refund.  At least I was able to get in touch with an actual person at eBay, which was nice.  Gave me some confidence as they said they're aware of the situation and everything is getting taken care of.

What's interesting is... was the 'hacker' Person A, the eBay account holder Person B, and further yet the PayPal account holder Person C?  The eBay account holder mentioned nothing about getting their money back.  These hackers are clever, stringing their activity across so many accounts.

7 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

As a follow-up...  The eBayer contacted eBay to say their account was hacked and eBay actually canceled the transaction from their end.  I still ended up with the money in my PayPal account which I transferred to my bank account already.  I guess I am to attempt to push that same amount back into my PayPal account and await further instructions on processing a refund.  At least I was able to get in touch with an actual person at eBay, which was nice.  Gave me some confidence as they said they're aware of the situation and everything is getting taken care of.

What's interesting is... was the 'hacker' Person A, the eBay account holder Person B, and further yet the PayPal account holder Person C?  The eBay account holder mentioned nothing about getting their money back.  These hackers are clever, stringing their activity across so many accounts.

Likely they assumed the password was the same on both ebay and PayPal and were correct. It’s also possible they hacked the person’s email and did a request to reset the person’s passwords using email validation without two-factor authentication in place. 
My yahoo email got hacked and in 24 hours of damage, I learned how easy it was for a hacker to gain access to all sorts of accounts via email alone. They have all kinds of emails from those accounts so they know where to try to get a replacement password using your email as the username. And then they can delete the emails so you are not aware they were ever there. Luckily, I noticed and yahoo recovered my deleted emails so I could see where they had been.

But assume it’s the same hacker that got into both accounts. 

You know it's getting bad when your first thought after a notification of a big set being sold is; "damn, another scam I need to deal with"

This one doesn't check all the obvious boxes but I'm have a feeling it's a scam.  It's a set that I originally posted back during Covid scarcity so the price is set to THEN market prices but has since gone back to RRP (I just forgot to revise/cancel the listing). Also shipping is ridiculous...$55 so it's gonna hurt if a return scenario occurs.  There's no practical reason the buyer wants to pay about $100 more than if he was to just order from Ebay.