What do your displays/collections look like?

hreed1985

Haha, my initial plan was to have the PC + PR in that corner without the road in the front so I could fit the Ferris Wheel behind it as a big theme park section.  The FW towering behind the 2 buildings would look cool.  But I decided for now having the road there and push the 2 builds back looks better instead of an empty lot.  My son did a horse ranch thingy and that's now behind the GE. 

For folks that have the DO...it looks great on the left of the GE (imho).  But for my display I tried a few options but couldn't get the 'perfect fit' so settled with is version for now.  I wanted to showcase the front of the DO since I like it so much. 

I have a new appreciation for brick fans that create 'cities'.  It's never 100% done :)   

​Don't look now, but the turtle is pooping in the pond. :)

​lol.  You always have an eye for detail.  I tried to add 3 small clear studs to simulate moving water in the pond as the Friends turtle is swimming about haha.  But yeah, couple people have mentioned it was 'pooping' haha.  Anyone that knows what set I can get a little classic yellow mini ducky lmk.  :)     

​lol.  You always have an eye for detail.  I tried to add 3 small clear studs to simulate moving water in the pond as the Friends turtle is swimming about haha.  But yeah, couple people have mentioned it was 'pooping' haha.  Anyone that knows what set I can get a little classic yellow mini ducky lmk.  :)     

​I would use some transclear cheese slopes to simulate it then... those wouldn't look like little turds. It was set 31031 (the parrot) that eats the pellets and poops them out that made me think of it really... :)

​I would use some transclear cheese slopes to simulate it then... those wouldn't look like little turds. It was set 31031 (the parrot) that eats the pellets and poops them out that made me think of it really... :)

​My son bought himself that set and, of course, that was his favorite part about it.  He made sure to give me a demonstration.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Like most people I'm sure, our space to display sets is limited... I really wanted the Slave I to be in one of our IKEA Detolf cabinets but it's just a touch too tall for a single space within it. So this was my solution ..  I used some plates, tiles and support pieces in dark bluish gray to "drop" the glass shelf about 4" which is more than enough room to fit the Slave 1. I may have to replace the plates with bricks if they sag too much but all the weight is on the supports anyways. The plates and tiles just keep the supports from being knocked out of place.

Sorry about the glare.. stupid phone. The pictures were dark and out of focus without the flash forced on.

image3.thumb.JPG.45ad60d1387d4617119378e

The Mini and T1 fit with just two supports, but it looked cramped. Three struck a good balance.

image4.thumb.JPG.c53b27feda1a7f64e840f52

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Not sure I like the new cabinet from Ikea, not very big and cheaply made. I see it being replaced as soon as I find something better.

It looks like it's a little bit wider than the full glass Detolf that most of us have for display cases.... is it? I'd really like to put my Simpsons House into the display case, but with the Detolf the width is about 2 or 3 inches too short to fit the house and garage attached together.... would you be able to measure or just link me to the product on Ikea's site? Also, does it look like if you bought 2 it would be easy to mod them to stack 2 tall (remove the feet from the upper layer obviously)?

It looks like it's a little bit wider than the full glass Detolf that most of us have for display cases.... is it? I'd really like to put my Simpsons House into the display case, but with the Detolf the width is about 2 or 3 inches too short to fit the house and garage attached together.... would you be able to measure or just link me to the product on Ikea's site? Also, does it look like if you bought 2 it would be easy to mod them to stack 2 tall (remove the feet from the upper layer obviously)?

Definitely is wider...

NORNAS http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30280947/
Width: 25 5/8 "
Depth: 15 3/4 "
Height: 65 3/8 "
Max load/shelf: 22 lb

DETOLF
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10011055/
Width: 16 3/4 "
Depth: 14 3/8 "
Height: 64 1/8 "
Max load/shelf: 13 lb

And for those who can't type "IKEA display cabinet" into google, here's the link to all their glass door display cabinets:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/dining/10410/

• Like 4

Like most people I'm sure, our space to display sets is limited... I really wanted the Slave I to be in one of our IKEA Detolf cabinets but it's just a touch too tall for a single space within it. So this was my solution ..  I used some plates, tiles and support pieces in dark bluish gray to "drop" the glass shelf about 4" which is more than enough room to fit the Slave 1. I may have to replace the plates with bricks if they sag too much but all the weight is on the supports anyways. The plates and tiles just keep the supports from being knocked out of place.

Sorry about the glare.. stupid phone. The pictures were dark and out of focus without the flash forced on.

The Mini and T1 fit with just two supports, but it looked cramped. Three struck a good balance.

Greg, love the display.   You need a VW T1 Camper poly to match the Mini...

I just finished my weekend project of doing wire suspended shelving in my office.  It helped me rearrange and make a little more space for the collection.  Sorry for pic quality.

Awesome!  I love displays with mixes of themes, especially Architecture, Star Wars and Super Heroes.  That Batmobile really displays nicely...

• Like 1

it was wider than a detlof, but was so poorly made that I returned it. I cannot in good conscience recommend this cabinet to anyone.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...