What do your displays/collections look like?

hreed1985

10 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

So my son (age 11) is moving on from playing with Lego to building a displaying Lego.  So my question is what are you using for build area and a display space.

Is he doing stand alone sets, connected modulars, star wars ships? Ikea has some great display cases & shelving units. 

31 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Is he doing stand alone sets, connected modulars, star wars ships? Ikea has some great display cases & shelving units. 

Larger stand alones (Treehouse, DB, 1000+ pieces) and he's starting to do MOCs.  I've thought of building something like this and putting an edge around it just for building and storage.

craft-tabletext.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
56 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

I decided to take a photo of my backlog of unbuilt sets, partly for insurance purposes and partly just because I wanted to. It's fairly alarming... 

IMG_20220415_134136.jpg

if its potentially for insurance reason don't you also want something to indicate the date?

other than green grocer and cloud city our backlogs are very similar (I have some old ships and speed champions also); but for me I have used versions of all these sets (The sealed ones are too precious)

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

if its potentially for insurance reason don't you also want something to indicate the date?

0a9b3b4d-f6e4-476e-b715-6271f83e9852_tex

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

other than green grocer and cloud city our backlogs are very similar (I have some old ships and speed champions also); but for me I have used versions of all these sets (The sealed ones are too precious)

My Green Grocer is a problem - it's hard to pluck up the courage to open the bags and build it. Even though I didn't pay new prices for it, it's still hard to take the plunge (whereas I'd build a used one immediately). I'm mostly choosing to think about what I paid for the retired ones, rather than what they're worth. 

3 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

and hopefully have a rider clause.

So long as I ensure the cover limit is high enough (it is), they're covered. I'd only need separate / additional cover for anything individually worth over £2000. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

My Green Grocer is a problem - it's hard to pluck up the courage to open the bags and build it. Even though I didn't pay new prices for it, it's still hard to take the plunge (whereas I'd build a used one immediately). I'm mostly choosing to think about what I paid for the retired ones, rather than what they're worth. 

So long as I ensure the cover limit is high enough (it is), they're covered. I'd only need separate / additional cover for anything individually worth over £2000. 

What insurance provider did you go for? Seems like John Lewis / Marks and Spencer have one of the best coverage compared to Which Magazine (due to their unlimited coverage and individual item amount etc).

4 hours ago, Voltron said:

What insurance provider did you go for? Seems like John Lewis / Marks and Spencer have one of the best coverage compared to Which Magazine (due to their unlimited coverage and individual item amount etc).

I went with LV. I don't really have anything else that could be described as valuable, so the £2k item limit seems fine. 

10 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

Nice pile of sets. If I had to sell 3 where the cash back would be better than the build I would go with in order: 

1. Green Grocer wins by a lot. I would not say the same if it was Cafe Corner. 
2. UCS Cloud City, unless you have a kid you are going to let play with it  

3. Simpsons House that roof is horrid and the Kwik E Mart is a much better build 

For me that OFS would be hardest to part with. 

21 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

I decided to take a photo of my backlog of unbuilt sets, partly for insurance purposes and partly just because I wanted to. It's fairly alarming...

Excellent taste all-around. Collectively there appears to a lotta Potter sets followed by Star Wars then Creator & Ideas. Also, I spot a Chinese New Year set up in the left corner. Nice flex.

10 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

I went with LV. I don't really have anything else that could be described as valuable, so the £2k item limit seems fine. 

Kinda curious if any had direct experience making insurance claim on LEGO?

what kind of documentation was needed and how much was the pau out?  100$ current market price of amount paid?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Kinda curious if any had direct experience making insurance claim on LEGO?

what kind of documentation was needed and how much was the pau out?  100$ current market price of amount paid?

I'd be curious as well (though maybe nobody here has been unfortunate enough to find out). Do insurance companies promising 'new-for-old' have a breaking point? 

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

i know theres a better thread but cant find it. here is Jims warehouse. not too shabby

image.thumb.png.a0d8f8c56e9a021a837e763335361c4e.png

Lots of clearance sludge on those shelves. I hope he got 60% off or more.

I watched the video. It appears people sent them those sets to fulfill for them in Q4, ugh. Looking at abysmal margins there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redcell said:

That is a much smaller operation than I envisioned based on the way he talks.  They've got great height in the space, but it looks like it couldn't be more than a few thousand square feet. 

My operation is roughly the same, maybe a little bigger: I can only try to imagine what your warehouse looks like. Can you provide some storage pron?