What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

I didn't buy any PEE.
I really thought about it, but LegoLand doesnt seem to be running low on stock of these. Focused my money on SW minifigs while they're still available and in demand.

Passed on Christmas ornaments too because it's a new market for me. I figure I'll have plenty of time to pick some up.

Not sure where to put this so thought I post here.

Hamleys in the UK are notorious for selling most of their lego 10-20% above RRP, what makes it worse is that they hardly ever have a sale on.

My local still has lone ranger, ultra agents, Chima. This stuff has literally been sitting on the shelves for 2+ years.

I think these guys have got a better on to see what year these sets will sell.

Oh and they also sell mixels and the latest series 16 minifigs for double RRP.

20160917_174043.jpg

20160917_174059.jpg

34 minutes ago, donbee said:

I hear nobody is hoarding Lone Ranger, might be opportunity there. =)

LOL... i thought TLR was a dead theme 3 years ago ;) even then i couldn't leave them at 50% off so lesson learned. 

anything goes to 50% stay the hell away :D .... 

Edited by newbie77

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I've just got home after a weekend away and was shocked to see that my £900+ spend on Advent Calendars from Boots was left out in the rain. The outer boxes were just mush, some sets were missing (presumed stolen as in full view and unprotected) and the remainder were soaked with warped boxes and broken seals. Of course, I've just sent a nasty email off to Boots demanding a collection of the "remains" and issue an immediate refund.

Boots are now added to Argos on my list of retailers to avoid. Leaving boxes outside for all to see in heavy rain is unforgivable and isn't my idea of good customer service!

Hence, these are LEGO sets that I am NOT buying today!

I'm just so glad that I always wrap my sets in a mailing bag and then bubble-wrap BEFORE placing into an outer box when I send them out. Remember that the seller is liable if a buyer receives a soaked set.

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, Ciaraf76 said:

Didn't get a chance to take a pic but my local Forbidden Planet has 5 B-Wing sets for sale at RRP.

Why didn't you pick them up then? Is that because you bought the other 95? ;-)

33 minutes ago, Ciaraf76 said:

Afraid not, at RRP it would be madness!

I recently sold the two B-wings i had on ebay for slightly shy of RRP. After fees I reckon I made about £30 profit on the two (not taking in fuel cost and wrapping materials) Not being a volume buyer or seller, sometimes I think I'm working for Ebay and Paypal. I got these both at 50% off when the Entertainer online store had BOGOF sale. That really was the time to swoop.

Sorry to hear about your Lego loss Tabby. Lost profit in the rain. 

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Ciaraf76 said:

Afraid not, at RRP it would be madness!

Sorry, I was thinking of 10227 as I'd not entertain anything smaller apart from perhaps the current MF ;-)

1 hour ago, Alfiepops said:

I recently sold the two B-wings i had on ebay for slightly shy of RRP. After fees I reckon I made about £30 profit on the two (not taking in fuel cost and wrapping materials) Not being a volume buyer or seller, sometimes I think I'm working for Ebay and Paypal. I got these both at 50% off when the Entertainer online store had BOGOF sale. That really was the time to swoop.

Sorry to hear about your Lego loss Tabby. Lost profit in the rain. 

Thanks... No big deal as there'll be offers again and I will collect next time. TBH... I did have a little buyer's remorse ;-)

I don't think many people are buying at Lego Shop @ Home for 2xVIP month this year, when compared to last year at this time.  Hardly any sets are heading into backordered status, and I suspect we are going to see a very slow phase out of sets.  This is making things harder to gauge what will actually retire.  Other than Slave 1, most of the other exclusives just hang around.  We have entered a new era - that much is obvious.

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 3

I'm sure the apparent easing of the no discount policy on exclusives has had an affect on direct sales.  Double VIP and a promo used to be about the best value for exclusives but I think many are making their purchases elsewhere with a 10-20% discount or better up front. 

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 1