What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

I don't think many people are buying at Lego Shop @ Home for 2xVIP month this year, when compared to last year at this time.  Hardly any sets are heading into backordered status, and I suspect we are going to see a very slow phase out of sets.  This is making things harder to gauge what will actually retire.  Other than Slave 1, most of the other exclusives just hang around.  We have entered a new era - that much is obvious.

The problem in the UK is that some exclusives are not exclusives anymore since other retailers sell those sets and often have discounts. The only sets I bought recently from LEGO Shop at Home are the Slave I and Mini Cooper to take advantage of the £10 off code and the London Bus promo. If there's nothing good like the old days (SSD and R2D2), I'm not too fussed about 2xVIP. Yes, the game has certainly changed and the number of players seems to have stagnated or even fallen. As it stands now, I can bail out at any time and still make a profit as I only buy with big discounts (>40% off) these days.

C'mon LEGO, retire some IDEAS sets and modulars!

Edited by TabbyBoy

I agree with you guys. Why would anyone buy an ewok village of UCS tie at lego shop at home when you can get them for at least 25% off at amazon.  This is probably going to force lego to have more sales on their website.  2xVIP is no longer worth it.  They may have to bump it up to 3xvip to get more bites and it's becoming obvious.  I know I haven't even bothered to buy anything yet.  I might... but i'll wait until the end of the month and see where things are.  

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 1

Unless it's an awesome promo there is no incentive whatsoever. Here in the U.K., many of the exclusives are now finding there way to other stores and it's just about biding your time till they go on sale, although you do run the gauntlet with regards to box condition and scrupulous packaging

I did not buy an Imperial Star Destroyer 75055 through a local deal for $90-$100 that is complete, including all the minfigs (no box or instructions) because I am deciding between that or buying the fairgrounds mixer and getting 2xVIP with the purchase.  Either would be for my personal collection/use and either one would be played with my kids.

Guest TabbyBoy
On 10/10/2016 at 10:14 PM, LahH001 said:

Unless it's an awesome promo there is no incentive whatsoever. Here in the U.K., many of the exclusives are now finding there way to other stores and it's just about biding your time till they go on sale, although you do run the gauntlet with regards to box condition and scrupulous packaging

I agree, there's NOTHING exclusive to LEGO LEGO Shop at Home anymore. Even the Porsche is sold everywhere and at a price that LEGO refuse to match! If LEGO ever decide to ban me again, I won't bother fighting it next time. I've ordered hardly anything from them this year.

LEGO... Isn't it about time that you sold truly exclusive and limited edition sets again? We miss the Mars Rover and 41999 ;-)

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I agree, there's NOTHING exclusive to LEGO LEGO Shop at Home anymore. Even the Porsche is sold everywhere and at a price that LEGO refuse to match! If LEGO ever decide to ban me again, I won't bother fighting it next time. I've ordered hardly anything from them this year.

LEGO... Isn't it about time that you sold truly exclusive and limited edition sets again? We miss the Mars Rover and 41999 ;-)

only thing i bought this year was the detectives office because of double points and London bus

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
35 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Have a guess which sets I did not buy at supposedly half price :D

IMG-20161017-WA0000.jpg

Shame, they'd be worth 2x RRP at EOL if no price stickers on the box! Which shop is this?

I did not buy any Wallies, Ectos, TBBTs, SC`s, PS, SOH or EV´s. Strictly 40% direct discount minimum going forward and I already covered base on all the exclusives moons ago. Time to watch and wait to see how quickly they sell out and what sort of bump they achieve.

• Like 2

On 10-10-2016 at 9:36 PM, Val-E said:

I think Lego fatigue is setting in slowly after the boom of 2014/15. Still less than 300 new members signing up here, stagnation in my brickfolio value since the spring - let´s see how demand is over this Xmas period.

Worse is also I notice more and more people refusing to pay much more than RRP. In the aftermarket I mean.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Worse is also I notice more and more people refusing to pay much more than RRP. In the aftermarket I mean.

Well if sellers are willing to backstab and undercut each other, it is turning into a buyer´s market. Nothing lasts forever in the cold November rain.

What does it remind me of? The property market in 2008.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Well if sellers are willing to backstab and undercut each other, it is turning into a buyer´s market. Nothing lasts forever in the cold November rain.

I am getting more and more convinced not buying anymore was a good thing to do.

I suspect this thread will be getting much more busy the coming months.

• 1 month later...
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Mhd747 said:

Not sure where to put this so thought I post here.

Hamleys in the UK are notorious for selling most of their lego 10-20% above RRP, what makes it worse is that they hardly ever have a sale on.

My local still has lone ranger, ultra agents, Chima. This stuff has literally been sitting on the shelves for 2+ years.

I think these guys have got a better on to see what year these sets will sell.

Oh and they also sell mixels and the latest series 16 minifigs for double RRP.

20160917_174043.jpg

20160917_174059.jpg

Can I get a hallelujah? Hamleys have sold one 79110 Lone Ranger Silver Mine Shootout at £62, only 3 left on the shelves now...

20161126_170048-3024x2268.jpg

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Here's what I did not buy today:

I cancelled all my pending orders from TRU in protest to how I'm being ignored regarding the last trashed delivery. Therefore, I did not buy:

8x Scooby Doo Mystery Machines

5x High Speed Passenger Trains

2x Indominous Rex Breakouts

I made a lot of calls today and still got passed around, put on hold and got nobody with a cerebrum to assist. I'm billing them for my time and call costs once litigation commences as I don't see those cretins ever responding. My last email to them copied LEGO CS who called me a couple of hours later to assist. I was hoping one of you would've PM'd me a direct line to a TRU manager by now but, it's now too late as I'm going to create an almighty stink!

Am I the only one that's been sent a bag of trash from TRU? It's not as if it was that cheap either!

@Mhd747... I've never popped into Hamleys since I saw their "Duty Added" prices at Heathrow Airport. It makes you wonder how they can possibly make any money online. Let's hope they don't use bin liners at those prices! Judging by your alias, are you an airline person? I was.

Guest TabbyBoy
30 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The TRU binbag/jiffy bag packaging is an international issue as they do the same over here, usually when you order large retiring exclusives. Friends or Nexo will always be packed to survive a mid-air explosion.

Here's the mailing bags that they use in the UK:

Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 23.39.08.png