What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

5 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

I made it.  A whole month without a LEGO investment purchase.  So unless 50% off SSDs show up tonight, this will be my first month of no LEGO investing since September 2013. The addiction is real.

Don't be so sure......$250? Lol just kidding, just kidding.....

image.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dazfoot said:

Local Toys r Us had Simpsons series 2 out of the blind bags today. Could have picked up a full set RRP but decided to pass as I already have a full set. Still not sure I did the right thing!!

These will be on shelves for eternity. Nobody wants them! I picked up a couple of boxes for £1 per minifig in sainsburys. so far they've ended up as gifts for nephews.... 

• 2 weeks later...

a3aa73167b36611be3d3262a3b22f6b2.jpg

Got excited. Then I scanned it. $380. Even with my 20% cards I'm only saving $10 or so from LEGOLAND.

I had Rewards but I'd rather be at the zero stage first than deal with the TRU mark up.

0eb4013b82b21db100a58e0f98695346.jpg

Found this for $50 at B&N. Previously opened and taped back shut. For $25 yes. But not $50.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I finally saw sense and reversed my drunken purchase last week of discounted 6x Cargo Trains, 6x Deep Sea Ships and 6x Deep Sea helicopters from Asda/George. I'm in the middle of a massive offload and I didn't really want to fill the void up with too much stuff that I'll have to sit on for a while. I've just looked through several sold listings and Trains/Ships from the CITY theme aren't doing too good in the UK (I don't ship large sets overseas - too much hassle). CITY vehicles seem to do OK if buy-in is <50%.

I did see a 4432 Garbage Truck in my local B&M for £12 but, the box was trashed so I passed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

75140: Resistance Troop Transporter at £32.50, 46% off

75100: First Order Snowspeeder at £19.99, 50% off 

I just don't see these two sets as being good investments even at almost 50% off. Troop Transporter got hardly any film time, and don't think most people will remember it or want it.

Snowspeeder not even in TFA and hardly the best design 

Passed on a bunch of random city sets at 50%.  60073 Service Truck, 60118 garbage truck, 60081 Pickup Tow Truck.  I like Garbage Truck, but I just don’t know how much of a market for it there will be.  Also passed on 50% on small volcano sets, 60121 Volcano Exploration Truck and 60122: Volcano Crawler.  Surprised to see these at 50% so soon. 

On 17 August 2016 at 3:59 AM, Mhd747 said:

75140: Resistance Troop Transporter at £32.50, 46% off

75100: First Order Snowspeeder at £19.99, 50% off 

I just don't see these two sets as being good investments even at almost 50% off. Troop Transporter got hardly any film time, and don't think most people will remember it or want it.

Snowspeeder not even in TFA and hardly the best design 

1/2price Starwars? I'd grab them all. 

Guest TabbyBoy
On 18 August 2016 at 0:35 PM, feed said:

Passed on a bunch of random city sets at 50%.  60073 Service Truck, 60118 garbage truck, 60081 Pickup Tow Truck.  I like Garbage Truck, but I just don’t know how much of a market for it there will be.  Also passed on 50% on small volcano sets, 60121 Volcano Exploration Truck and 60122: Volcano Crawler.  Surprised to see these at 50% so soon. 

I think 60073 will do very well as no other set has a "Turdis" (portable toilet). I bought a lot of these back-to-back when they were £8 on Amazon. Some buyers have already paid stupid money for it.

Other discounted CITY vehicles actually do very well within a year of EOL. I did very well on the following when clearing up local supermarket shelves a couple of years ago:

60056 Tow Truck - Bought for £9 each sold for >£25

60057 Camper Van - Bought for £8 each sold for >£22

60059 Logging Truck - Bought for £11 each sold for >£40 !!! (This was a very rare set in the wild)

4432 Garbage Truck (old version) - Bought for £7 each and sold for >£24

Where are the Volcano sets? I'll clear them out right now at -50% ;-)

To save extra work, I often sell list 4x CITY vehicles at £99.99 + £3.95 P&P (2nd class signed for) and they nearly always sell. £65 pre-tax profit within a couple of months is a great turnover. Packing is simple as 4 fit perfectly in new laptop boxes that I get from work!

Remember you can always return sets a few weeks after if you have buyer's remorse.

Local Walmart had a random-ass Friends Amusement Park Roller Coaster (41130) alone on a clearance shelf. Never seen that set at a Walmart before... and despite being "clearance" it rang up as the full retail price of $99. Also, the seals were cut and replaced with packing tape along the entire flap... online purchase and in-store return after pilfering some parts? What's even in there worth the fraud? Nutty.

I might have taken a chance at $40 or so, but even after talking to some employees, they couldn't go lower than $70. Oh Walmart.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2016 at 4:46 PM, TabbyBoy said:

I think 60073 will do very well as no other set has a "Turdis" (portable toilet). I bought a lot of these back-to-back when they were £8 on Amazon. Some buyers have already paid stupid money for it.

Other discounted CITY vehicles actually do very well within a year of EOL. I did very well on the following when clearing up local supermarket shelves a couple of years ago:

60056 Tow Truck - Bought for £9 each sold for >£25

60057 Camper Van - Bought for £8 each sold for >£22

60059 Logging Truck - Bought for £11 each sold for >£40 !!! (This was a very rare set in the wild)

4432 Garbage Truck (old version) - Bought for £7 each and sold for >£24

Where are the Volcano sets? I'll clear them out right now at -50% ;-)

To save extra work, I often sell list 4x CITY vehicles at £99.99 + £3.95 P&P (2nd class signed for) and they nearly always sell. £65 pre-tax profit within a couple of months is a great turnover. Packing is simple as 4 fit perfectly in new laptop boxes that I get from work!

Remember you can always return sets a few weeks after if you have buyer's remorse.

So i should definitely buy bulldozers at £12.50?

I'm guessing  50% offs have been at Tesco and sainsburys who seem to be clearing shelves at the minute. 

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

So i should definitely buy bulldozers at £12.50?

I'm guessing  50% offs have been at Tesco and sainsburys who seem to be clearing shelves at the minute. 

Yes, I'd buy the bulldozers at-50% as construction vehicles are popular. I bought 4 from Sainsburys last week along with another 4 Service Trucks for £8 each. I always pop into large supermarkets when I pass them as this is where the best discounts are these  days ;-)

• 2 weeks later...