What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

39 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

Well, this was the Cardiff store so they don't get that kind of clientele. The only thing I've ever bought from there was an emergency purchase PlayMobil police car as OOS everywhere at the time.

That's normal price for hamleys, they sell pretty much all lego either 10-20% above RRP.

Guest TabbyBoy
18 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

That's normal price for hamleys, they sell pretty much all lego either 10-20% above RRP.

Same as Harrods and WH Smith. Even higher at airport "Duty Added" shops! This is legal in the UK as it's a recommended not mandatory price. There are companies who do enforce their prices and eBay are not allowed to sell their products for above that price.

What made me laugh at LHR was a 10188 Death Star for £499.99 in battered box taped together and stupid people were picking it up to take a look and one numpty bought it! I pulled him to one side and said it's £150 less online and he told me to F-off, serves him right!

11 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Same as Harrods and WH Smith. Even higher at airport "Duty Added" shops! This is legal in the UK as it's a recommended not mandatory price. There are companies who do enforce their prices and eBay are not allowed to sell their products for above that price.

What made me laugh at LHR was a 10188 Death Star for £499.99 in battered box taped together and stupid people were picking it up to take a look and one numpty bought it! I pulled him to one side and said it's £150 less online and he told me to F-off, serves him right!

All I care about is that when I send my personal shopper to Harrods to get me a last minute LEGO set for my kids' Christmas present, he delivers. Money worries are for common people ....

• Like 1

With impeccable timing, my sister sent round her Christmas demands with the Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion at the top of the list just as it retires!

I have therefore spent the last few days not buying this after it trebled in price from the Tesco free for all. The hunter has become the prey. Woe is me - who'd have thought there could possibly be a downside to this Lego investment lark! ?

Anyone got a battered set they want rid of?

In the meantime I'm going off to kick myself for not stocking up, and then maybe my sister.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobbynobricks said:

With impeccable timing, my sister sent round her Christmas demands with the Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion at the top of the list just as it retires!

I have therefore spent the last few days not buying this after it trebled in price from the Tesco free for all. The hunter has become the prey. Woe is me - who'd have thought there could possibly be a downside to this Lego investment lark! 1f622.png

In the meantime I'm going off to kick myself for not stocking up, and then maybe my sister.

Depends on where you are buy some of the Smyths stores have them.

8 minutes ago, Bobbynobricks said:

I have therefore spent the last few days not buying this after it trebled in price from the Tesco free for all. The hunter has become the prey. Woe is me - who'd have thought there could possibly be a downside to this Lego investment lark! 1f622.png

http://www.very.co.uk/lego-scooby-doo-the-mystery-mansion-amp-free-lego-city-brickmaster/1460796168.prd?utm_campaign=other&awc=3090_1481044354_b4f47e9236ff54a286a78e85e20efad6&aff=awin&affsrc=137991&cm_mmc=awin-_-137991-_-Comparison+Engine-_-0_0&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_term=PriceSpy_137991&utm_content=na

Not in stock at moment says " Awaiting stock Expected back in stock on Thursday 15th December "

Worth a try to order and see if it arrives.

Hope it works out for you.

17 minutes ago, Bobbynobricks said:

some lego stores might have one, brighton had a full shelf friday so others might also. Or maybe john lewis stores.

I did not buy two 60118 Garbage Trucks that were shown on the Brick Picker Target inventory tracker at two of my local Targets because they were not on the shelf.  I even had one of the employees in the toy section verify they were in the store inventory.  OK, which one of you hid them someplace else in the stores?  If this what we have come too? :)  LOL!  I did find the 610117 set that was hidden in one store.  Strangely the other Target had 14 of them.  Curious… 

4 minutes ago, LegoWalker4 said:

I did not buy two 60118 Garbage Trucks that were shown on the Brick Picker Target inventory tracker at two of my local Targets because they were not on the shelf.  I even had one of the employees in the toy section verify they were in the store inventory.  OK, which one of you hid them someplace else in the stores?  If this what we have come too? :)  LOL!  I did find the 610117 set that was hidden in one store.  Strangely the other Target had 14 of them.  Curious… 

That may have been me on the garbage truck.  I've been amassing an army of these fellas when they were on sale for 13 at Target. 

• Like 2

Went to Meier this morning to take advantage of Santa Bucks and BOGO 40%. In the end I couldn't pull the trigger an anything.  All the stuff on sale was still relatively new and not retiring soon.  In the end it was only an average of 29% off.  I know I can do better and still have to sell off a bunch of stuff I bought at this past summer's wonderful clearance sale.  However, I did notice that they put IST on clearance but for $79 and Resistance troop transporter for I don't remember how much.  Couple other Force awakens sets were on clearance as well.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I didn't buy £100 worth of LEGO from TRU as they did email me a voucher today as "compensation". I refused it and asked them to make a donation to UNICEF for the same amount. What they did to me was unforgiveable and I'll never deal with them again - period! The problem with big companies is that they just don't listen!

Thanks for all the suggestions - sadly I struck out on the Mystery Mansion. I tried my local TRU (Croydon) and there was no sign of them.

Oh well - you win some and lose some.

While there, I also didn't buy the Fairground Mixer with a damaged box, but could be good for anyone nearby that still fancies one for their own collection at a possible discount...

Also a good few IR 75919s in store at RRP.

Thanks for all the suggestions - sadly I struck out on the Mystery Mansion. I tried my local TRU (Croydon) and there was no sign of them.
Oh well - you win some and lose some.
While there, I also didn't buy the Fairground Mixer with a damaged box, but could be good for anyone nearby that still fancies one for their own collection at a possible discount...
Also a good few IR 75919s in store at RRP.

FYI - I was in John Lewis Oxford Street on Sunday and they had about a dozen Mystery Mansions on the shelf. Maybe give them a call, JL customer service is usually excellent, they maybe able to help you out.

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, Manse1001 said:

FYI - I was in John Lewis Oxford Street on Sunday and they had about a dozen Mystery Mansions on the shelf. Maybe give them a call, JL customer service is usually excellent, they maybe able to help you out.

JL are fantastic and the pride of the UK high street. A couple of years back, the Reading branch even called Kingston for me to get a couple of 10197 Fire Brigades when EOL was announced and stock was getting low. All people have to do in order to get ahead in this game is to pick the phone up, press some numbers and speak normally. I do the same with Asda and Tesco when I want to place, for example, an order of 99x rather than 33 orders of 3x.

Can you just imagine a job working in the LEGO department of John Lewis?

That's the problem with the Internet Generation, most of us are scared to talk to people!

JL are fantastic and the pride of the UK high street. A couple of years back, the Reading branch even called Kingston for me to get a couple of 10197 Fire Brigades when EOL was announced and stock was getting low. All people have to do in order to get ahead in this game is to pick the phone up, press some numbers and speak normally. I do the same with Asda and Tesco when I want to place, for example, an order of 99x rather than 33 orders of 3x.
Can you just imagine a job working in the LEGO department of John Lewis?
That's the problem with the Internet Generation, most of us are scared to talk to people!

They are definitely one of the elite in my opinion, that's generally why I'm prepared to pay slightly more and order from JL when purchasing any type of item. Did you know, after 25 years of service at JL they reward you with 6 months paid leave!!! How many companies do you know offer that!?

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Manse1001 said:

They are definitely one of the elite in my opinion, that's generally why I'm prepared to pay slightly more and order from JL when purchasing any type of item. Did you know, after 25 years of service at JL they reward you with 6 months paid leave!!! How many companies do you know offer that!?

I know, a friend's aunt is also a retiree and keeps her discounts for life. They're simply the best as I can't think of another retailer that consistenty delivers large sets still in their factory boxes. Even if there is a problem, it's always rectified quickly. Oh... and you get free hot drink & cake vouchers every month! I'll be popping into Reading tomorrow for my pot of tea and chocolate fudge cake before looking at the toys.

Other retailers... Why do you waste time, create more work for your staff and risk returns by taking sets out of their factory boxes? Argos & TRU need not reply ;-)

Well the fire in me is not as big as it used to. Only managed to get a few series 1 speed champions and spidey/Venom polys. Spent an hour just looking and wondering through the lego aisle. Picked up and held a few sets but just couldn't get myself to buy anything else even with discount and gift cards in hand ready to go. Just thought of better things to get with them.

• Like 2

Well the fire in me is not as big as it used to. Only managed to get a few series 1 speed champions and spidey/Venom polys. Spent an hour just looking and wondering through the lego aisle. Picked up and held a few sets but just couldn't get myself to buy anything else even with discount and gift cards in hand ready to go. Just thought of better things to get with them.

That's been my experience lately too. I ended up with speed champs and stone armor coles. They were out of spidey bags.