What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

I was in a small town in the Fenlands this morning and saw this 'interesting' shop window display.

I thought there may be a collection of retired Lego sets inside, but no such joy. The window collection was all they had. I did consider the Ninjago 70734, but the box had sun discolouration. And the Toy Story 3 box was damaged with a thumb size hole in it (top right of Disney logo).

I half expected to see a tumbleweed blow across the road as I turned away!

shop.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ichiroll said:

It's nuts, all my local targets look like this...

797729743b3f500890173df13011f7a1.jpg

Area slowly converting to 70% off tho. I'm not gonna bite till then. I feel Lego has been inflating their retail prices so they can discount more. $89.99 retail for this set? I don't think so...

But then you get somebody like me who would arm sweep them at half off with red card etc. sleep next to them. Crazy, none by me at that price.

Edited by Lordoflego
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

But then you get somebody like me who would arm sweep them at half off with red card etc. sleep next to them. Crazy, none by me at that price.

lol yea I hear ya.  i guess i just like 70% off MUCH better than 50% off of an inflated msrp.

I also just can't shake the feeling that something is "not right" with this set.

the set is being discounted in the open in plain view, but people still don't want it.

just saying that the general appeal for this set is this low at 50% off, are we sure there will be appeal for it after end of life when we expect/hope that it's 2x msrp?

Edited by ichiroll

lol yea I hear ya.  i guess i just like 70% off MUCH better than 50% off of an inflated msrp.
I also just can't shake the feeling that something is "not right" with this set.
the set is being discounted in the open in plain view, but people still don't want it.
just saying that the general appeal for this set is this low at 50% off, are we sure there will be appeal for it after end of life when we expect/hope that it's 2x msrp?

Undercutters will keep it under $60 for a long time. SW Mechdragon
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 1:56 PM, exciter1 said:

Undercutters will keep it under $60 for a long time. SW Mechdragon

After this Target situation I have a feeling that the ones I purchased on clearance from Shopko last summer are going to end up in a bundle. Might be the only way for me to move them now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

After this Target situation I have a feeling that the ones I purchased on clearance from Shopko last summer are going to end up in a bundle. Might be the only way for me to move them now. 

Captain Phasma is going to turn out to be a one-of-a-kind minifig, and you'll be counting your dollars next year when TLJ comes out ............. or not.

11 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Captain Phasma is going to turn out to be a one-of-a-kind minifig, and you'll be counting your dollars next year when TLJ comes out ............. or not.

Yeah...had I known that Target would be giving this set away by the pallet load I would have let them sit. My average buy in is $58 (36% off). I'm in for the long haul, unless I start bundling with other TFA sets when they all become a little more scarce. Phasma was the main reason I liked this set, but a re-release in an upcoming set is probable. Live and learn.

Maybe I can pair these with my Joker Steam Rollers...just a thought.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

Yeah...had I known that Target would be giving this set away by the pallet load I would have let them sit. My average buy in is $58 (36% off). I'm in for the long haul, unless I start bundling with other TFA sets when they all become a little more scarce. Phasma was the main reason I liked this set, but a re-release in an upcoming set is probable. Live and learn.

Maybe I can pair these with my Joker Steam Rollers...just a thought.

Maybe you can mod them to have the Steam Roller come out of the Transport? First Order Steam Roller Transport

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Phil B said:

She'll probably be in the "Women of "The Last Jedi" battle pack" slated for a January release.

• Like 4

Well TFA is a thing of the past and sets associated with it have taken a back seat. No one but collectors or investors would think of buying that set nowadays. The average Joe will pass that up for newer Lego. That's why they sit, for now.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jaylay said:

Well TFA is a thing of the past and sets associated with it have taken a back seat. No one but collectors or investors would think of buying that set nowadays. The average Joe will pass that up for newer Lego. That's why they sit, for now.

I hear ya.  The sheer quantities that are left of this thing are just mind boggling tho.  Never seen anything like it.

Even once it hit 70% off, it still took maybe a week and a half for them to sell out.

• 3 weeks later...

Just went to a "bankruptcy sale" of a local toy store, they marked down Lego with 30% but not before raising the price :D I wanted to buy the T1 and the Mini for my collection until I realized they raised the price, the T1 for example suddenly costs 120€ instead of 100€. I guess thats the usual procedure, I think I'll come back at the end of the month when everything is down 50-75%. 

I contemplated the 60150 Pizza Van for its ubiquity and appeal for some time now. 

Yet I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger.   

How I curse the struggle and spit on the desire.  For is there not slight temptation to buy one and get one 40% off?

My empty wallet laughs mockingly as my credit cards struggle to free themselves.

Not today, Amazon.  Find another prey for your lures!  Today belongs to ME!

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, TANV said:

I contemplated the 60150 Pizza Van for its ubiquity and appeal for some time now. 

Yet I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger.   

How I curse the struggle and spit on the desire.  For is there not slight temptation to buy one and get one 40% off?

My empty wallet laughs mockingly as my credit cards struggle to free themselves.

Not today, Amazon.  Find another prey for your lures!  Today belongs to ME!

60150 was an easy 3x QFLL when Tesco had them in last year on 3-for-2 and before general release. I bought 9 for £90 and got back £240 after fees within a few days. The dragster did even better! Too late now as widely available, but has a chance after EOL since it sold for  >RRP when not very available.

I passed on a few 75112 General Grievous at £6 this afternoon - I already have too many! ;-)