What Lego set did you NOT buy today?

Didn't buy 2x 7931 T-6 Jedi Shuttle because the toy shop had prices over MSRP. 89,99€ instead of 69,99€. Left them on the shelves.
Got a deal on all of the 16x 7953 Lego Kingdoms Court Jester. Got a 13% discount on retired sets. 2,60€ instead of 2,99€. Not a big deal, but better than nothing. ;)

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, KvHulk said:

More frustration free packaged Apollos.

I'm not buying them everyday now!

At least you CAN buy them. They've been out of stock in the UK for many weeks with no sign of a restock. I just can't help thinking that it's done here.

7 hours ago, donbee said:

Passed on another 4x Super High Schools for $30 each. I have a few. Too many around. Maybe a big mistake.

I bit at 25 euros, figure it will make a good xmas flip once it is retired and no shops stock it (most have cleared it already).

• Like 1

You make a good point about times changing. I saw those City Fire Unimogs with the little satellte dish trailer, 60111 IRC at 70% off and kept walking - already having one at 50% off was a big enough mistake. No one wants them and never will plus it was 50% overpriced in the first place.

17 minutes ago, Val-E said:

You make a good point about times changing. I saw those City Fire Unimogs with the little satellte dish trailer, 60111 IRC at 70% off and kept walking - already having one at 50% off was a big enough mistake. No one wants them and never will plus it was 50% overpriced in the first place.

I really question why you buy any Lego at all...every one of your posts is either talking about how a set is a complete turd or makes no sense at any price.   I can be negative at times, but I have never seen anyone who is as relentlessly negative as you are.  Even accounting for the differences between the US and European markets, to say that 60111 would be a waste of time at 70% is so ridiculous that it leads me to believe that you're just messing around and don't actually believe the stuff you write.  I can only think of one set (Construct-A-Zurg) that would have been a true waste of time at 70% and even that set has rebounded to the point where a 70% off purchase would have turned a profit (although it would be a money loser from a time-value perspective).  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, redcell said:

I really question why you buy any Lego at all...every one of your posts is either talking about how a set is a complete turd or makes no sense at any price.   I can be negative at times, but I have never seen anyone who is as relentlessly negative as you are.  Even accounting for the differences between the US and European markets, to say that 60111 would be a waste of time at 70% is so ridiculous that it leads me to believe that you're just messing around and don't actually believe the stuff you write.  I can only think of one set (Construct-A-Zurg) that would have been a true waste of time at 70% and even that set has rebounded to the point where a 70% off purchase would have turned a profit (although it would be a money loser from a time-value perspective).  

He's not really that negative you know, although I do blame him for the overuse of the word turd. The European market is very different to the US market, I wouldn't go near 60111 at 70% off either, you'd end up stuck with it, lucky if you can make a €5 profit for too much associated work. You need the right sets at the right discount over here, scatter gun approach of go deep on every heavy discount just doesn't work.

As Val-e said, RRP's are way over priced here. You need to take off the ridiculous new over pricing tax and then figure out if your discount is worth getting from there. Take 75150 or 75151 as an example, both overpriced by as much as 50%. You need to take that off before you can even work out what a acceptable buy in price is.

1 minute ago, redcell said:

Each person you can turn away from any particular set, is one less competitor you have to battle with in the aftermarket. It's all a mind game to maximize profits.

Everyone, LEGO as a whole has lost all value. The dumps will soon be full of plastic bricks. I am certified to recycle these bricks to save our environment. I'll take these off your hands free of charge to ensure we protect our planet. Just let me know where to pick up, and which size truck I should bring. Mother Earth thanks you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, brickvoyeur said:

Everyone, LEGO as a whole has lost all value. The dumps will soon be full of plastic bricks. I am certified to recycle these bricks to save our environment. I'll take these off your hands free of charge to ensure we protect our planet. Just let me know where to pick up, and which size truck I should bring. Mother Earth thanks you.

Captain Planet, we salute thee

captain-planet.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Dang it, now I want 60111: Fire Utility Truck even more!

1 hour ago, Sprocket77 said:

He's not really that negative you know, although I do blame him for the overuse of the word turd. The European market is very different to the US market, I wouldn't go near 60111 at 70% off either, you'd end up stuck with it, lucky if you can make a €5 profit for too much associated work. You need the right sets at the right discount over here, scatter gun approach of go deep on every heavy discount just doesn't work.

As Val-e said, RRP's are way over priced here. You need to take off the ridiculous new over pricing tax and then figure out if your discount is worth getting from there. Take 75150 or 75151 as an example, both overpriced by as much as 50%. You need to take that off before you can even work out what a acceptable buy in price is.

RRP of 60111: 40 euros (vs 35 in cheaper EU countries and 30 quid in UK) and it made the 50% off SAH sale and even then took a while to sell out.

On Ebay  europe they are selling for between 16 and 20 euros before fees (13% ), 26 euros on Bricklink but 2 sales a month vs over 400 listed so at my original 19 euro buy-in I am still losing money 8 months down the line. At 70% percent off, I´d break even after fees and taxes. I´d be all over them if there was any possibility this set was going to appreciate in the long term but there are still too many about and the are constant rehashes of fire engines. If it had been a special one like the airport truck or the  long ladder 60112, I´d have taken it, mind you.

1 hour ago, redcell said:

I did the numbers on the set (please see above reply) and I didn´t like the result. There were plenty of other sets at 60-70% off that I did buy that should give better returns (SW X-Wings, Krennics and Ties) and I took a calculated risk on the City Garbage truck and Medivac Plane because they seem to be more unique sets that people will want down the line.  Seeing as this is the "What I did not buy thread", I didn´t think to mention it.  I may have done in the "What set I bought thread" but, as you seem to enjoy reading every one of my posts, you will probably be able to confirm if I did!

33 minutes ago, Val-E said:

RRP of 60111: 40 euros (vs 35 in cheaper EU countries and 30 quid in UK) and it made the 50% off SAH sale and even then took a while to sell out.

On Ebay  europe they are selling for between 16 and 20 euros before fees (13% ), 26 euros on Bricklink but 2 sales a month vs over 400 listed so at my original 19 euro buy-in I am still losing money 8 months down the line. At 70% percent off, I´d break even after fees and taxes. I´d be all over them if there was any possibility this set was going to appreciate in the long term but there are still too many about and the are constant rehashes of fire engines. If it had been a special one like the airport truck or the  long ladder 60112, I´d have taken it, mind you.

At 70% off, you've got a 12 euro buy-in.  Current Amazon price in Spain is 35 euros.  I'll take that kind of turd any day of the week. 

2 minutes ago, redcell said:

At 70% off, you've got a 12 euro buy-in.  Current Amazon price in Spain is 35 euros.  I'll take that kind of turd any day of the week. 

You´d be making around 5 euros net on each sale then. Fine if you are a huge volume seller but this set is ranked around 37.000 in sales and there were only a handful on the shelf.

I get your point but the money was better spent on other stuff that is a whole lot easier to shift through other channels.

I saw some 60085 (City Powerboat) and 60092 (City Deep Sea Submarine) in the wild today but didn't bite, even with a reduction. 

However I did open my wallet on Saturday for 2 x Future Flyers at WHSmith £17.50 (buy one get one half price). I had to blow off the cobwebs as no-one tends to look for Lego at WHSmiths anymore. 

4 hours ago, redcell said:

The block function is amazing. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
47 minutes ago, Villager Chris said:

I saw some 60085 (City Powerboat) and 60092 (City Deep Sea Submarine) in the wild today but didn't bite, even with a reduction. 

However I did open my wallet on Saturday for 2 x Future Flyers at WHSmith £17.50 (buy one get one half price). I had to blow off the cobwebs as no-one tends to look for Lego at WHSmiths anymore. 

That's because WHS really hike the RRP so that their "sale" price is close to RRP. I remember them selling £17.99 Garbage Trucks for £24.99 - criminal!

Edited by TabbyBoy

3 hours ago, Val-E said:

You´d be making around 5 euros net on each sale then. Fine if you are a huge volume seller but this set is ranked around 37.000 in sales and there were only a handful on the shelf.

I get your point but the money was better spent on other stuff that is a whole lot easier to shift through other channels.

Geez...3x buy-in nets less than 50% after-tax profit?  Your euro taxes must be way worse than I thought.