What Lego set did you buy today?

Guest TabbyBoy
10 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

2 x Elves Fire Dragon's Lava Cave and Speed Champions Ford GT, £18 ea (Tesco 3 for 2).

Same here and placed 10 orders back-to-back. Let's see if they call me ;-)

22 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Same here and placed 10 orders back-to-back. Let's see if they call me ;-)

So, a year from now  will we all be complaining about the lack of appreciation of these two over hoarded sets, except for Tabby who will sold them for 2 quid profit per item within a week to the local school?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

So, a year from now  will we all be complaining about the lack of appreciation of these two over hoarded sets, except for Tabby who will sold them for 2 quid profit per item within a week to the local school?

No.... he will say he bought them to use as gifts.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

3 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

No.... he will say he bought them to use as gifts.

Those Elves Dragons are a no-brainer at around 55% off. It's a no lose gamble and if I can shift them all at £5 profit each, it beats any bank. I did the same with the Yellow Submarines ;-)

1 hour ago, Scatterbug said:

Just get back to RRP, that's all I ever hope for.

What the heck are you buying that doesn't get back to RRP?  If that's something that you really worry about, that's really more of a problem with your judgment in picking sets than a problem with the market.

30 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

I'm sorry the halycon days are over.

Hardly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, redcell said:

What the heck are you buying that doesn't get back to RRP?  If that's something that you really worry about, that's really more of a problem with your judgment in picking sets than a problem with the market.

So if one buys a set with a £100 RRP for £10 (pathological I know), then it goes back to £90 and stagnates, do they have poor judgement?

4 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

So if one buys a set with a £100 RRP for £10 (pathological I know), then it goes back to £90 and stagnates, do they have poor judgement?

That's a stupid hypothetical because how often does one get the chance to buy a $100 set for $10?  Also, if you're getting a 90% discount, you sure as sh** ain't praying for the set to get back to RRP.

Just now, redcell said:

That's a stupid hypothetical because how often does one get the chance to buy a $100 set for $10?  Also, if you're getting a 90% discount, you sure as sh** ain't praying for the set to get back to RRP.

It happens often enough. And your conclusion proves C_c's point.

2 minutes ago, mizeur said:

It happens often enough. And your conclusion proves C_c's point.

How many sets have you bought for 90% off?  It doesn't happen often enough for that hypothetical to have any relevance.  And if you're just wanting me to admit that I wouldn't call someone an idiot for buying a set at 90% off if that set didn't get back above RRP, I'll admit that.  However, if someone is trying to make money selling Lego in the real world and is routinely praying for their sets to get back to RRP, I would question the judgment that they are applying in choosing sets.  

2 minutes ago, river41 said:

i think bennys has been a flop no question about it. You obviously were fortunate to get it at 50 percen toff

Absolutely agree...I never thought it was a sure thing, which is why I didn't buy in at over 50% off, but had hoped that it might be a surprise hit. 

3 hours ago, Val-E said:

don't forget about throwing there FREE Parrot Polybag.

43 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

It all depends on quantity right? If we are dealing with 1-2 then possible to get for 90%off but again how many different set ever get there?

getting for 90%off or 100%off is sure win strategy if one can scale. Having said that until recently all purchases of mine are at RRP. And I guess that's my problem that I have more DUDs than successes.

23 minutes ago, redcell said:

How many sets have you bought for 90% off?  It doesn't happen often enough for that hypothetical to have any relevance.  And if you're just wanting me to admit that I wouldn't call someone an idiot for buying a set at 90% off if that set didn't get back above RRP, I'll admit that.  However, if someone is trying to make money selling Lego in the real world and is routinely praying for their sets to get back to RRP, I would question the judgment that they are applying in choosing sets.  

Absolutely agree...I never thought it was a sure thing, which is why I didn't buy in at over 50% off, but had hoped that it might be a surprise hit. 

Quite a few with SYW points + coupons + discount/clearance + discount gift cards. Or Meijer points + coupons + clearance. Or B&N clearance + membership discount + discount gift cards. Or Target and Walmart clearance + discount gift cards. There were 30+ Minecraft Fortresses that hit 75% at Target in my neck of the woods before factoring in other discounts.

Those aren't the only ways I get sets but this isn't 2015 anymore, sometimes profiting on LEGO requires more time and effort than waiting for the deal of the week, price match races to the bottom, or price mistakes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mizeur said:

Quite a few with SYW points + coupons + discount/clearance + discount gift cards. Or Meijer points + coupons + clearance. Or B&N clearance + membership discount + discount gift cards. Or Target and Walmart clearance + discount gift cards. There were 30+ Minecraft Fortresses that hit 75% at Target in my neck of the woods before factoring in other discounts.

Those aren't the only ways I get sets but this isn't 2015 anymore, sometimes profiting on LEGO requires more time and effort than waiting for the deal of the week, price match races to the bottom, or price mistakes.

Let's not forget the Target the First Order Transporter that hit 75% + discounts months ago too :)