What Lego set did you buy today?

3 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

I'm going for several more upon the several I have of the BBC set already in the near future. No worries at all.

Still widely available at discount, still not sold out at SAH despite 2xvip and London Bus. I think TLG are playing us.

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Still widely available at discount, still not sold out at SAH despite 2xvip and London Bus. I think TLG are playing us.

I wouldn't put it past them. I will also let it be known that I appreciate your views as when I was more of a newbie many, many, months back and we were discussing the Tumbler you suggested that the Tumbler wouldn't have a great jump in price after Smyths had finished selling their lot after xmas. Turns out that you were pretty much right up until this time. I'll be getting the Dr Who sets for £27 each next week though so I don't see many negatives with that one.

1 minute ago, BarryZola said:

I wouldn't put it past them. I will also let it be known that I appreciate your views as when I was more of a newbie many, many, months back and we were discussing the Tumbler you suggested that the Tumbler wouldn't have a great jump in price after Smyths had finished selling their lot after xmas. Turns out that you were pretty much right up until this time. I'll be getting the Dr Who sets for £27 each next week though so I don't see many negatives with that one.

People are assuming doctor who will sell for retail once retired, I sure hope so aswell. If it doesn't then everyone will be undercutting each other to break even on the £27-30 supposedly bargain.

2 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day. Tumbler looks like it is coming out of the woods slowly but the Chinese copies are another hurdle to overcome, especially when they are being passed of as the real deal. 27 GBP is lower than Tabby´s prices you can still undercut the main man if need be and you´ll get ebay fees promos that he won´t!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

No one said you have to sell them in the first year or so that they retire. Patience is required with any set.

You never know, though. Sets like TH and Red 5 were absolute first year sellers, same as DS and 7965 for other reasons. I am most interested to see what sort of immediate gain the class of ´16 will or wont have now that reseller scum like myself are pulling  back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day. Tumbler looks like it is coming out of the woods slowly but the Chinese copies are another hurdle to overcome, especially when they are being passed of as the real deal. 27 GBP is lower than Tabby´s prices you can still undercut the main man if need be and you´ll get ebay fees promos that he won´t!

I know yeah. I still have my Tumblers (12 if anyone wants to add that to their thoughts, and I'm a relatively small UK player). Tabby doesn't need to worry about me. On the other hand, I'm happy that he's buying up UK stock of Dr Who as opposed to hundreds of different people who will dump for bottom price soon after retirement killing the market. That's the last thing we need. Worse case scenario is Dr Who flops and Tabby folods the market but I've only eventually bought a modest amount and get my money back. Nothing to lose. I don't see a reason why UK buyers wouldn't buy DR Who at the moment if at the right price. Not my problem though :)

It´s all about numbers. For that buy-in you have a good safety margin even if it tanks and 100 50 quid sets are easier to flog than 1 5000 quid set when in a rush. I can only get the good doctor at 33 from Amazon plus transport so I am already at a competitive disadvantage as UK will be the main focus of demand so then I have to factor in the intnl shipment back to the customer!

I´ve got other fish to fry right now and the last thing I want is more inventory that will stick around too long. I only see potential in one Ideas set right now and even then the price has to be right.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

How much is Milano going for these days? Last time I looked it was well below RRP still.

Another great TLG marketing exercise - available for a limited period in the catalogue  then 30% sale to get rid of them.

its still 40/50 bucks that i didn't have before, but also new movie trailer should boost attention. Like i said, its not amazing but at least its money.

Guest TabbyBoy

I've been banned again for "trolling" on HUKD so I'm going to ask my ex-colleague (TabbyBoy also but not on BP) to see if she will upload today's Asda receipt to piss them all off! ;-)

I was just saying it as it is and some thin skinned know-it-all HUKD members started moaning and complaining. Let's see what uploading that receipt does since a few have been disappointed.

You snooze you lose, right?

Edited by TabbyBoy

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Looks like the going rate on BL is 70 euros. Only 19 sellers left though. I expect many slit their wrists a while back. AT AT should do well, though.

Scanning ebay UK it looks like anywhere between 80 and 95 BIN. I'd be happy enough with 15% after fees if they went quick enough. AT AT will do well. I just need to check every rural shop in the country now...

23 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've been banned again for "trolling" on HUKD so I'm going to ask my ex-colleague (TabbyBoy also but not on BP) to see if she will upload today's Asda receipt to piss them all off! ;-)

I was just saying it as it is and some thin skinned know-it-all HUKD members started moaning and complaining. Let's see what uploading that receipt does since a few have been disappointed.

You snooze you lose, right?

There's not cure for being a C**T. People need to chill a little and swear more...

5 hours ago, tractorboy said:

I had some hope for Dr Who, but UK power sellers will have killed it dead. It's just been available for too long and too widely at discount, and Tabby won't be the only one who has been loading up in big numbers. It could take a year or two before it even hits RRP at this rate.

A year or two?  You need to be thinking longer term.  Harry Potter EOL for instance was end 2012ish. There are some short term/QF items.  Doctor Who isn’t one of them.    

Guest TabbyBoy
11 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

That there wasn't a mad bastard clearing out Poe's X-Wings  :D

They don't float my boat funnily enough so I only have half a dozen to cover myself ;-)

23 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I think it's only hanging around at LEGO Shop at Home because it's still at RRP with 2xVIP and London Bus which some can't be bothered to resell. Accounting for this "offer" it still works out at £35 which isn't exactly the cheapest around.

Its on back order on UK SAH, will be interesting to see if it goes OOS quickly when what I assume must be the last batch hits on 24th Oct

Worst comes to the worst Tabby get revenge on China by selling genuine but illegal sets to the chinese. You can disguise them in exosuit boxes and sell on black market :lol:

Keeping things on topic I picked up Disney Castle it will be c left sealed to see if there's a pre xmas shortage, otherwise it's mine.  Prob going to order DO today too.

Edited by Fenix_2k1

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Its on back order on UK SAH, will be interesting to see if it goes OOS quickly when what I assume must be the last batch hits on 24th Oct

Worst comes to the worst Tabby get revenge on China by selling genuine but illegal sets to the chinese. You can disguise them in exosuit boxes and sell on black market :lol:

I know, I'll print out a sticker with the logo of the "crap brand beginning with L" and stick it over the LEGO one - sorted!

Of course, I'll rename it to Doctor How with a BCC licence ;-)

The TARDIS will become TURDIS (what I call portable toilets)

You're a genius ;-)

2 hours ago, feed said:

A year or two?  You need to be thinking longer term.  Harry Potter EOL for instance was end 2012ish. There are some short term/QF items.  Doctor Who isn’t one of them.    

As a general rule I normally only invest in sets that I think I can double my money after fees/shipping within 2-3 years and I usually hit that target or better, with the odd exception. I don't really do QFs.

I'd say Dr Who is looking like a 3-4 year hold if I want to double my money with my €40 buy in. I had hoped it might do it within 2 years. That's ok as I only have 8 and it's a small enough set.

I said it could take a year or two to hit RRP.

Edited by tractorboy

16 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

As a general rule I normally only invest in sets that I think I can double my money after fees/shipping within 2-3 years and I usually hit that target or better, with the odd exception. I don't really do QFs.

I'd say Dr Who is looking like a 3-4 year hold if I want to double my money with my €40 buy in. I had hoped it might do it within 2 years. That's ok as I only have 8 and it's a small enough set.

I said it could take a year or two to hit RRP.

Sure, we all have our own strategies.  And I have plenty of sets bought at 50% with the intention of moving at retail or a touch above.  I just don’t think Doctor Who is a set that should be played this way; it’s a real long term-er.