What Lego set did you buy today?

2 hours ago, tasiatunes said:

Bought a bulk lot last week 3 tubs $275.The tubs contained some of the following with manuals and all pieces 7693 mars mission attack,10190 market street,10185 green grocer,10182 cafe corner,10197 fire brigade,4504,4502,7128,10174 UCS ALL terrain scout transport,7018 Viking ship most with all of the minifigures included.Good haul at first glance.DSCN3419.thumb.JPG.7d0bcd945a50545d84f6e399f9e4bd96.JPG

DSCN3417.thumb.JPG.c24e6550c92e8796b1dd92f2ae58788e.JPG

DSCN3418.thumb.JPG.c18b8bfda882ab49b94ae5c26a0e5217.JPG

DSCN3415.thumb.JPG.bd53dc4fac99638450917c18a6a3b8eb.JPG

"Good haul at first glance."

understatement of the year

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lodibricks said:

When I read that, I thought maybe a 2nd glance would show no "LEGO" stamped on the studs. That would've deemed "first glance" a worthy statement.

So jealous of these finds. Nice one @tasiatunes!

When I saw the original post I thought L e p i n

then zoomed in and wow nice score, any good backstory?

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

got the green lambo on the ebay deal posted earlier (at least it "probably" was a Target fiasco and not stolen or CC fraud related)

I expect the box to be well-beaten on it's way over here; so for a personal build...by the time my backlog gets to the point of me actually considering to build...that takes me to about 5 years post-retirement so I can decide if the resale of a beaten box is not worth it enough for me to break the seals or if I need to hunt for a used set...per the Orange Porsche.

• Like 1

Cleaned out my 4 locals of the HP $60 deal. 53% off after red card. Target exclusive. Part out value is large as well if you’re into that.

I didn’t want to risk a ban by buying these all online. Each store still had them tagged at $120 on the shelf. I have two more coming from online orders. 9dd89bf7271621d96cacff373b74ee86.jpg

At this price I don’t mind a long hold. These will go into my cryogenic chamber until ‘24-‘25. Thank you OP in the DD thread.

Picked up the new FarCry6 game as well. Time to blow stuff up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

3 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

Cleaned out my 4 locals of the HP $60 deal. 53% off after red card. Target exclusive. Part out value is large as well if you’re into that.

I didn’t want to risk a ban by buying these all online. Each store still had them tagged at $120 on the shelf. I have two more coming from online orders. 9dd89bf7271621d96cacff373b74ee86.jpg

At this price I don’t mind a long hold. These will go into my cryogenic chamber until ‘24-‘25. Thank you OP in the DD thread.

Nice score and well done!  Target runs in the morning and home in time for Packers game in the afternoon.  :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

Long time to hold, why not just sell locally for close to RRP this xmas? These won't retire for at least 2 / 3 years, pretty sure local flip will outweigh any long term CAGR and won't tie up funds / space.

Nice score and well done!  Target runs in the morning and home in time for Packers game in the afternoon.   

That pretty much sums up a perfect Sunday, especially after that crazy finish in the GB/Cincinnati game. I’ve never seen anything like that 35 years of watching the NFL.

Long time to hold, why not just sell locally for close to RRP this xmas? These won't retire for at least 2 / 3 years, pretty sure local flip will outweigh any long term CAGR and won't tie up funds / space.

I’ll keep an eye on stock levels this holiday season and if I can flip locally for RRP I’ll probably do it. If I can’t then I’ll put them away and forget about them. Funds and space aren’t an issue, so if I have them for a few years it’s fine with me.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KShine said:

I think you guys are nuts for not thinking/knowing that the Harry/Hermione set is going to do great long term.

But my future self thanks you.

Still available for those that want more. For NOW I see it as a gift Grandmom buys not realizing it is actually not the set the grandkids want. Who is the audience for this set? Perhaps if this is the first in a series of these Maxi figs and we get a Hagrid next year, but doubtful since this one seems like a failure. However, Lego loves throwing money at failures, Vidiyo. 

Edited by Pseudoty

2 hours ago, KShine said:

I think you guys are nuts for not thinking/knowing that the Harry/Hermione set is going to do great long term.

But my future self thanks you.

name another successful big IP set that was slashed to 50% this early in its run?

my gut said this was a dud from the getgo, these maxifigs look creepy to me.

This sale validates that.

24 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

name another successful big IP set that was slashed to 50% this early in its run?

I'm guessing these are the HP version of the SW/Marvel helmets. Priced like a helmet, similar piece count. But they don't work as well as display pieces compared to helmets. Plus you need to buy 2 at once. 

I'm thinking at $60 they are a safe investment but property not great, especially considering hold time. I think best case would be Lego killing the set early and not really producing more. I'm sure Target won't order more than they have to per their deal to have it as an exclusive set 

2 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

I'm guessing these are the HP version of the SW/Marvel helmets. Priced like a helmet, similar piece count. But they don't work as well as display pieces compared to helmets. Plus you need to buy 2 at once. 

I'm thinking at $60 they are a safe investment but property not great, especially considering hold time. I think best case would be Lego killing the set early and not really producing more. I'm sure Target won't order more than they have to per their deal to have it as an exclusive set 

agreed. its hard to lose money on this buyin, thats for sure so from that perspective its not a risky buy. 

1 hour ago, Bricklectic said:

i have noticed these kind of blow out sales frequently in october which is the month target's financial reporting quarter ends (and also first month of holiday shopping hmmm maybe that's it...) . 

sometimes i think they look at sets that are turds and make the decision to go ahead and sell blow out type of sales knowing they will sell through nearly all the stock in store and much but clearly not all that they have in stock for shipping just to top off earnings, clear out inventory space,  get a little extra juice for the shareholders.  not that target has needed any extra juice but until yesterday, these were total dust collectors in every store.  they did move though - only a handful of stores with any stock.  now that the listing says item may show up in original packaging i have this image in my mind of a glove with a target logo on it slapping a shipping label on the lego box and into the garbage chute, flyboy.

not finding an amazon listing on 76393 either searching through amazon or google.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KShine said:

honestly speaking...I have been looking to pick up this set ever since seeing it on the background of a developer's video...going on about a month now.  I thought they would get scarce by Christmas time and be a QFLL candidate.

Maybe i'm out of touch...didn't realize this set was so criticized.

I think their size is what makes the set.  They are similar to the Mickey and Minnie Mouse statues (was also on my want list).  I think the target market are HP collectors as it's, to me, a must have....even for non-LEGO fans.  Yes, RRP is overpriced by at least 20% but I see these being popular as they display really well.

• Like 2

If I had a nickel for every expensive turd set that ultimately made me some decent profits, I'd have ten cents.  I'll have fifteen cents once I sell my last Betrayal at Cloud City.

And If I had a nickel for every "sure thing" set that turned out to be a dud after retirement, I could buy a couple hamburgers for lunch today.

LEGO investing is like a box of chocolates.