Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, BrickLover80 said:

123 Sesame Street is sold out. Too bad, was hoping to grab a few today with double VIP.

Dang, me too. Do I raid targets today or skip SS? 

I screwed this whole double points up. Missed SS, ordered Disney Castle last week because it was backordered. Now it's plentiful & I'm at my limit. 

6 hours ago, BrickLover80 said:

123 Sesame Street is sold out. Too bad, was hoping to grab a few today with double VIP.

If you don't care about double VIP, amazon has some in stock. Limit 20. $5 off. Says ships between oct 28-25

Surprising that this is going so early.

13 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

yes. im going to go there. bring on the hate. i deserve it. but TH - is 175 now. 

Not on any EOL lists.....but I see on Brickset it says 2022 as end date. Supposedly theyre authoritative. Might catch a few ppl by surprise. yeah, i know many ppl have hoards from years past. still, its uber popular.

If I were inclined to buy TH before its retirement, I would not be buying it this year.

55 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

yes. im going to go there. bring on the hate. i deserve it. but TH - is 175 now. 

Not on any EOL lists.....but I see on Brickset it says 2022 as end date. Supposedly theyre authoritative. Might catch a few ppl by surprise. yeah, i know many ppl have hoards from years past. still, its uber popular.

It also had a price increase, so some room to discount it.

If I were speculating on a surprise retirement, it would be one of the sets that didn't go up, but isn't on any list. Pooh, for example.

51 minutes ago, 407brianb8872 said:

Worst buy of alltime. I loathe the Treehouse. I will never spend another dollar on that set, I am stacked deep and have held onto this pos for 2 years. Trust me this set is stacked super deep. The Treehouse hysteria was insane. 

Where were you for Exosuit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

strange but @brickfanatics said 60345 farmers Market Van and 60347 Grocery Store will be retired this year 

It's not uncommon for sets to have super short lives like this.  I keep expecting these sets to get extended, but we're getting pretty late in the year for it.

4 hours ago, redcell said:

It's not uncommon for sets to have super short lives like this.  I keep expecting these sets to get extended, but we're getting pretty late in the year for it.

They keep releasing more sets each year, so I suspect there will continue to be an increase in shorter run sets like this going forward - I would assume relatively poor performers or ones in relatively crowded marketplaces.

They can't keep everything in production forever. In 2014 there were 750ish sets released. In 2007 450ish. Last year 850ish. (940 in 2021!!)

Of course, some of these could live on forever on Amazon, ala War Machine Buster, Compound Battle, etc.

Edited by Achilles

14 hours ago, Achilles said:

They keep releasing more sets each year, so I suspect there will continue to be an increase in shorter run sets like this going forward - I would assume relatively poor performers or ones in relatively crowded marketplaces.

They can't keep everything in production forever. In 2014 there were 750ish sets released. In 2007 450ish. Last year 850ish. (940 in 2021!!)

Of course, some of these could live on forever on Amazon, ala War Machine Buster, Compound Battle, etc.

TOOS is the new "retired" and Amazon is where popular sets go to live on forever.

LEGO knows that they are essentially competing with themselves when it comes to high building systems...w/ factories strategically placed all over the world LEGO has a lot of manueverability to meet market forces.

That said the true cost of a Lego set is in the design and implementation (expensive skilled labor); so it hurts them financially to retire sets too soon.