Retiring Soon - open speculation

24 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Wow is this that slow to sell? So much for nostalgia. 

Honestly, when people posted this set I was really confused why you'd buy this 😕

I grew up with space sets and the weird animatronics sets. Having pulled those out of my parents place a few years ago I realized they sucked in comparison to the new Lego themed sets and designs.

I'd rather build a star wars ship and I don't even like star wars.  I think the space ship gets retired next year.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, marcandre said:

Wow is this that slow to sell? So much for nostalgia. 

I belong to a Space Lego group, and most of them love this set and are buying at least 3 in order to build the 2 additional alternate models posted by LEGO.    I'm guessing Walmart over-ordered.

45 minutes ago, Zepp said:

I belong to a Space Lego group, and most of them love this set and are buying at least 3 in order to build the 2 additional alternate models posted by LEGO.    I'm guessing Walmart over-ordered.

I mean you are pulling your anecdote from the exact demo that would be most interested in it. I have zero doubt that fans of Classic Space love the set, it's extremely well done, but the question is how big that demographic is and can the set get interest from people not familiar with it. Though I will say there was also a lot of skepticism on this board about Barracuda Bay around the time it was retiring for the same sort of reasons (how big is the nostalgia market?) and I don't know if that was genuine or people downplaying sets, they thought might be winners, but Barracude Bay is on a good trajectory if you bought into it.

Edited by Unionize Pokemart
grammar

11 minutes ago, Unionize Pokemart said:

I mean you are pulling your anecdote from the exact demo that would be most interested in it. I have zero doubt that fans of Classic Space love the set, it's extremely well done, but the question is how big that demographic is and can the set get interest from people not familiar with it. Though I will say there was also a lot of skepticism on this board about Barracuda Bay around the time it was retiring for the same sort of reasons (how big is the nostalgia market?) and I don't know if that was genuine or people downplaying sets, they thought might be winners, but Barracude Bay is on a good trajectory if you bought into it.

Dragging this into another thread to not clog up the email of folks like me who are getting dinged with every bit of conversation in the daily deals thread.

I think a generic pirate ship has a bigger attraction to non nostalgia people than a retro looking spaceship. It's why POBB will continue on a growth trajectory while Classic Space folks will get their fill of the galaxy explorer and prices will stagnate.

Castles and ships transcend nostalgia 

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Dragging this into another thread to not clog up the email of folks like me who are getting dinged with every bit of conversation in the daily deals thread.

I think a generic pirate ship has a bigger attraction to non nostalgia people than a retro looking spaceship. It's why POBB will continue on a growth trajectory while Classic Space folks will get their fill of the galaxy explorer and prices will stagnate. 

I always thought POBB was a winner, but not a huge winner.  But my disdain for Treehouse is real. That set is going to take a long time to appreciate much.

11 minutes ago, weemsc54 said:

Gotta build or at least see it in person to appreciate how good the value really is in 2022 LEGO dollars...even at the full $100 price, imo. 

For $50 it's an amazing toy. 

Agree. I'm not even a huge classic space fan, but I can't imagine any kid building it and not having fun swooshing it and playing with it. It's MASSIVE!

1 hour ago, 407brianb8872 said:

I always thought POBB was a winner, but not a huge winner.  But my disdain for Treehouse is real. That set is going to take a long time to appreciate much.

I disagree. I think once the treehouse is truly gone it will do great. It has way broader appeal than the pirates set. I'm not really a fan strictly due to price and box size, but I think it will be solid once it's gone.

3 hours ago, Zepp said:

We all have our opinions but I look at it and think "oh yeah, I remember those sets", reflect, and move on.  I'll admit I was more into the city sets as a kid but I wouldn't have any interest Lego revising one of those either.  I'd much rather build a modular.

47 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

We all have our opinions but I look at it and think "oh yeah, I remember those sets", reflect, and move on.  I'll admit I was more into the city sets as a kid but I wouldn't have any interest Lego revising one of those either.  I'd much rather build a modular.

The main problem with Space is it is harder to choose 1 or 2 sets to represent the Space series.  There were so many variations of spaceships, rovers, and bases in the original series.  While the Galaxy Explorer looks cool, some Space fans might think a huge moon base with a bunch of smaller starships would be a better representation for the series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

Castles and ships transcend nostalgia 

I agree about the pirate ships and castles, but the fan in me loves that LEGO made the Galaxy Explorer. Much better than the BS Wizards of the Coast are pulling for Magic: the Gathering's 30th anniversary, but I digress. 

The Galaxy Explorer will likely flounder after retirement, but I have mine and am happy with that. 

• Like 1

I don't know about Central Perk, but I've found Brickset to be far less reliable on retirement dates than the other sites that report on such things.
Stonewars and Brick Fanatics both have it going this year too. I kinda think this set may be over hoarded though anyway since a lot expected it to retire last year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk