Retiring Soon - open speculation

17 hours ago, Tedron said:

Lego 75254 only available on Lego .com with availability of 2 in uk. Prices in eBay at £60. Early retirement ? No longer available at John Lewis and in no smyths stores. 

Being OOS at JL & Smyths at present is just normal with most Lego sets. Lego production drop and import issues are causing havoc in the U.K.

1 hour ago, gmpirate said:

Just a disruption.  It's not practical to cycle sets in and out.

IDK...at some point LEGO is competing with itself...which is emphasized by your other post of re the two Yodas

but it cost a lot of R&D for LEGO to issue sets (especially non-rehashes).  The extended OOS model enables or prolongs a sets life without actually competing w/ like products.  The yodas is a perfect example; Old Yoda was (IMO) a poor seller but they can't keep Grogu on shelves. 

At the very least extended TOOS cycling allows LEGO to defer decisions on retirement and possibly absorb/manage market changes due to changing demand and popularity of certain sets. 

Seems Yoda may be going.  Not that Walmart is an absolute indicator since they can clear sets out early, but a Lego manager told me recently that they were not going to stock them in store any more either.  Not that that is an absolute indicator either 

On clearance around here too. Normally an early sign of near future retirement. Picking up 2 tomorrow for $60 each. Not the best price but around here things don’t last.

3 minutes ago, Emvisawthatswho said:

On clearance around here too. Normally an early sign of near future retirement. Picking up 2 tomorrow for $60 each. Not the best price but around here things don’t last.

lol, 40% is probably not the "best" price I've seen posted online, but it's not too shabby.  If last year was a good indication any clearance found is a good buy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

COvid Delays taught LEGO that there's no need to retire anything...just put products on constant cycles that puts some sets in long-term OOS and some short -term

OMG.  LEGO has adopted the Disney Vault model.

Well, two can play that game.

"Hey, did anyone else think the Sea Cow had racist undertones?!?"

Hehehe.  That set will never see the production light of day again.

3 new star wars helmets coming out this year.  these are strong sellers hardly ever lasting in stock at retailers.  hard to imagine they would retire boba given popularity.  also can't imagine they take away target's exclusive tie fighter pilot though would be nice.  so maybe stormtrooper helmet goes?  or none go and we have a period of 6 helmets for sale.   anyone with inside information or pertinent observations?

1 hour ago, cladner said:

3 new star wars helmets coming out this year.  these are strong sellers hardly ever lasting in stock at retailers.  hard to imagine they would retire boba given popularity.  also can't imagine they take away target's exclusive tie fighter pilot though would be nice.  so maybe stormtrooper helmet goes?  or none go and we have a period of 6 helmets for sale.   anyone with inside information or pertinent observations?

No insight, but do need to grab a few. Have we seen any good deals yet? 

yes during target gift card deal and early fall walmart clearance.  walmart no longer stocking these in stores.  target still has them.  if none are retiring, i wouldn't want to buy any without a 30-40% discount.

with easter falling early april, there may be a protracted lull in retail sales come mid april-june and then we might get some decent deals, especially if virus is getting under control and people are spending less time indoors building lego.  still it sucks buying without retirement info.

some insider has to know.

Edited by cladner

19 hours ago, TheBrickClique said:

OMG.  LEGO has adopted the Disney Vault model.

Well, two can play that game.

"Hey, did anyone else think the Sea Cow had racist undertones?!?"

Hehehe.  That set will never see the production light of day again.

you'll have better luck w/ the Sierra club and Vegan activist group re shooting a cow through a canon

How so? I have Sea Cow. What are people saying about it being racist? Seriously wondering. 
He is saying that is why Disney doesn't re-release movies from their vault... because they have racial undertones. So, now that Lego "has adopted the Disney model of the vault" if we say previous sets have racial undertones they won't re-release... it was a joke
  • Like 1

No inside information or anything, but my Target did just put up a new plexiglass display case featuring all three of the current helmets this week. I doubt Lego would have sent displays to the stores if they were planning on retiring these anytime soon.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:
15 minutes ago, Gonkalin said:
How so? I have Sea Cow. What are people saying about it being racist? Seriously wondering. 

He is saying that is why Disney doesn't re-release movies from their vault... because they have racial undertones. So, now that Lego "has adopted the Disney model of the vault" if we say previous sets have racial undertones they won't re-release... it was a joke

A concise explanation devoid of satire. Civil society has returned. Bravo, sir.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:
15 hours ago, Gonkalin said:

Thank you for clarifying. And yes, I agree with @beatpoppa. 

20 minutes ago, shirki said:

LEGO Dots 41919 on clearance for $3.70 at my 2nd-closest-local Walmart. Not an indication of retirement exactly, but. 

Needless to say I bought the whole rack of them.

probably not going yet - available worldwide at LEGO Shop at Home.  power bracelet $2.70 at most stores around here - waiting for more price drops.  you can track them here: https://********.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=753395102

cosmic wonder which is sold out in north america shop at home and retired in europe  is being widely discounted at walmart for 50 cents at most stores with any left in stock.  i picked up a couple hundred at that buyin. 

https://********.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=855276385

Edited by cladner