Retiring Soon - open speculation

I see 3 scenarios:
  • massive un-announced retirements due to CV uncertainty
  • minimal retirements (even those on the list) but prolonged and extensive amounts of scarcity (ie OOS/OS dance)
  • The list was mostly right and it's like most years w/ some un-announced sets "disappearing" 
Treehouse has been scarce since early Nov (I think); but I wouldn't personally tie up capital on any $100+ IDEAS sets

Another scenario - sets due to retire - stock could be available well into Q2 due to Covid - delayed shipping / production / as these sets finally move to distributors and retailers (hello Mr Triceratops Rampage at Wally World).

Some sets may not make another appearance, if production was halted. Should be interesting for sure.

Type in Retiring Soon on SAH, there are quite a few (not marked) we “know” are retiring - and there are some that would be nice surprises.

8 hours ago, gmpirate said:

I don’t think anyone ever noticed except for all the clearance sets at Walmart last year.

Not that this is indicative of future results, but the 3 retiring Trolls Sets on clearance at the local LEGO store, there are 6 total sets, and they have not moved in the last week and a half. I have actually been meaning to grab them with promo, but better options have shown up.

Also, not that anyone was expecting it to retire, but Wal-Mart stores have gotten restocks of Great Hall.

So what are our Bankers for 2021 Retirements?

- Architecture  San Francisco Possible - Statue of Liberty (should be London & / or NYC, but cannot for the life of me see them retiring)

- Roller Coaster, Lunar Lander (hopefully), London Bus, Assembly SQ, Gingerbread House

- Ideas Dino Fossils, Friends CP, Treehouse

- Stranger Things

2 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

So what are our Bankers for 2021 Retirements?

- Architecture  San Francisco Possible - Statue of Liberty (should be London & / or NYC, but cannot for the life of me see them retiring)

- Roller Coaster, Lunar Lander (hopefully), London Bus, Assembly SQ, Gingerbread House

- Ideas Dino Fossils, Friends CP, Treehouse

- Stranger Things

I wouldn't be surprised if Assembly Square outlives the Corner Garage.

Most / all of the HP sets should go (apart from D2Cs and the new releases). I wouldn't be surprised if Ship in a Bottle goes again. I expect the Chiron to go as well as a bunch of other Technic sets (e.g. Mixer Truck, 911, Corvette, Mobile Crane, maybe Ducati.)

2 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

Most / all of the HP sets should go (apart from D2Cs and the new releases). I wouldn't be surprised if Ship in a Bottle goes again. I expect the Chiron to go as well as a bunch of other Technic sets (e.g. Mixer Truck, 911, Corvette, Mobile Crane, maybe Ducati.)

I could see AS becoming this lines Death Star or Camper Van. 

35 minutes ago, Aup27 said:

I could see AS becoming this lines Death Star or Camper Van. 

until the next anniversary set (20th year) release: which should be in 2026...presume AS will "retire" about a year or so prior and get scarce a little before then...so buy-time should be fall of 2024 (to be safe)

3 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

some of your examples like Technic Mixer truck and Ducati hasn't even been out a full year yet?   What's your rationale?

1 hour ago, Jessekidd13 said:

This is 47 levels of speculation, but I think the Harley goes this year.  Between the sale on the HD site (and then they followed it with another promo that involved the set), and it being released in 2019/standard licensing agreements, I think it's dunzo in 2021.

Jesse

Hope so.  That would be a nice score.

Bold prediction, but I think it's is a pipe dream...It's only been out 17 months and being the only motorcycle in the Expert theme, I say they ride this as long as the VW. lol

Plus, it isn't on any retiring list which is why I didn't buy any this year. Good luck to you if it does go...

18 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

pretty sure it was $35 + tax.  But if he believes its going to be around that long it wasn't a good buy anyway.

#1. if you see a popular set at 65% off...it's a good buy no matter the circumstances

#2 my version shows it at $64.99 + tax

RRP for Harley is $100 and not significantly discounted elsewhere AFAIK since it's debut. Also typically one of the sets that sells out whenever popular sets get scarce.