Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, redcell said:

Well, yeah, I never said they didn't care about shelf space...I said that shelf space is not particularly relevant when it comes to retirement decisions.  

You make a good point about LEGO (semi)exclusive sets that are mostly sold online or in few select stores.

For all other sets LEGO has to keep shelf space in mind when it comes to retirements: Sets sitting like lame ducks in shelves will keep customers and therefore dealers from purchasing more sets from LEGO, which hurts their bottom line. 

What keeps customers coming back to those LEGO shelves is variety, so exchanging that portfolio every once in a while is a smart strategy.

Edited by Kekskrabbe

1 minute ago, LegoTriathlete said:

I just saw this in my email.  Wondering if Docks and/or Ninjago city may be making a comeback?  Or no chance in hell?  I personally loved those two sets and this one looks pretty freaking sweet as well! 

image.png.dc0b88fc801f56a98d51521a5eb68f7b.png

Yeah, you would think they would, but there is no indication of that here. It would have been listed on the store calendar I think. Does anyone know if the VIP exclusivity is available in-store or is it online only?

10 minutes ago, tyskr28 said:

Yeah, you would think they would, but there is no indication of that here. It would have been listed on the store calendar I think. Does anyone know if the VIP exclusivity is available in-store or is it online only?

gardens will be on sale in store 1/14 as well

18 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

I just saw this in my email.  Wondering if Docks and/or Ninjago city may be making a comeback?  Or no chance in hell?  I personally loved those two sets and this one looks pretty freaking sweet as well! 

image.png.dc0b88fc801f56a98d51521a5eb68f7b.png

Ninjago cities have become a staple for collectors, it has reached adult fandom status akin to modulars.

So unless they’re also remaking modulars, they won’t remake Ninjago cities.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 2:02 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so 40% off at Harley store wasn't good enough?

I don't want inventory sitting on my shelf for years and years, regardless of discounted price. I'd rather invest in something that I can sell within a year after retirement, or thereabouts. That's how I run my biz, no need to chastise for doing things that way. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brad W said:

I don't want inventory sitting on my shelf for years and years, regardless of discounted price. I'd rather invest in something that I can sell within a year after retirement, or thereabouts. That's how I run my biz, no need to chastise for doing things that way. 

my bad...should not have made a judgment

49 minutes ago, dx0520 said:

Ninjago cities have become a staple for collectors, it has reached adult fandom status akin to modulars.

So unless they’re also remaking modulars, they won’t remake Ninjago cities.

Yea, reason why I ask is in additional description I saw somewhere (but can't seem to find it now...) indicated that this new set will look good with the City and Dock sets...  But maybe I totally dreamt that up.  I've been missing sleep recently due to work so wouldn't put it past myself...

17 minutes ago, LegoTriathlete said:

Yea, reason why I ask is in additional description I saw somewhere (but can't seem to find it now...) indicated that this new set will look good with the City and Dock sets...  But maybe I totally dreamt that up.  I've been missing sleep recently due to work so wouldn't put it past myself...

There is an image of all three together. If you made this up, then we are both in the same fever dream. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Brad W said:

*cries in 2013 stock in my inventory*

• Haha 3

Just now, $20 on joe vs dan said:

would really like to see Ninjago City connected directly to Ninjago Gardens; the way LEGO shows it w/ the docks in the middle doesn't work for me

I agree. Go ahead and do this over the weekend for us. :)

To set it up like it's shown in the image, there at least needs to be more depth to Docks with some taller buildings further to the back. Since City is a corner, I think a setup with Gardens connected to one side and Docks on the other would look nice.

2 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

would really like to see Ninjago City connected directly to Ninjago Gardens; the way LEGO shows it w/ the docks in the middle doesn't work for me

I'll bet that marketing thought it would blend together with Ninjago City too much. By putting the docks between the two big sets it creates better visual separation. Otherwise City and Gardens would sort of blend together into one giant building.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

I agree. Go ahead and do this over the weekend for us. :)

To set it up like it's shown in the image, there at least needs to be more depth to Docks with some taller buildings further to the back. Since City is a corner, I think a setup with Gardens connected to one side and Docks on the other would look nice.

El restaurante del fin del mundo: Todo lo que debes saber ...

and 

Dan don't break seals

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Kinda funny that it's still available..clearly most here hit their limits at $80 and free Dickens

Seems like people are worried about the restock. To me worst case scenario is that Lego made/found another 1k sets and is restocking AMZ/WM/SAH now. Can't imagine this is a massive restock. As pointed out, it's retired. Like $20 pointed out, SAH may not be poofing soon because weve all maxed out already. At AMZ/WM this would be gone in seconds. 

So its just an opportunity. Grab it while it lasts with some rinks if you have a F/F network that isnt tired out of buying for you.

Illusion of plentitude.

Edited by Bricklectic