Retiring Soon - open speculation

4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

#1. if you see a popular set at 65% off...it's a good buy no matter the circumstances

#2 my version shows it at $64.99 + tax

RRP for Harley is $100 and not significantly discounted elsewhere AFAIK since it's debut. Also typically one of the sets that sells out whenever popular sets get scarce.

#1  l disagree.  But if your strategy is to buy at a good discount with no regard to time or circumstance that is certainly your prerogative.  We all have our ways.

#2  Right on

4 hours ago, BrickLover80 said:

Have there been any rumblings about the big Hogwarts Castle (71043)? I could see the Great Hall and Train last as long as the Theme is around this time (licence expires in 2022???) But can they really have two $400 sets in that line?

Star Wars and HP popularity has been neck and neck recently in terms of voters for popular sets (Brickset); so having multiple $400+ sets isn't a barrier for HP, since SW has had multiple (IMO).

how do you when the HP license will expire? and obvious followup, why wouldn't LEGO renew?

I think the overall argument is shelf space.  This seems to be a key factor in retiring sets.  I am used to seeing a special display (Clear box w/ built sets) for Star Wars sets and Ninjago at most Target stores. Is there room for HP set display as well? HP sets; now w/ 4 large castle modulars plus the smaller sets take up quite a bit of shelf space.  Is all this shelf space sustainable?

1 minute ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Shelf space should be sustainable for anything that sells well.

that begs the question...shelf space is finite...so what goes to make room?

For the vets out there has the amount of shelf space dedicated to LEGO in Target/Walmart changed over the years?  I have noticed that LEGO footprint has almost doubled since Covid...but weren't sure if it's an aberration  

13 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Star Wars and HP popularity has been neck and neck recently in terms of voters for popular sets (Brickset); so having multiple $400+ sets isn't a barrier for HP, since SW has had multiple (IMO).

how do you when the HP license will expire? and obvious followup, why wouldn't LEGO renew?

I think the overall argument is shelf space.  This seems to be a key factor in retiring sets.  I am used to seeing a special display (Clear box w/ built sets) for Star Wars sets and Ninjago at most Target stores. Is there room for HP set display as well? HP sets; now w/ 4 large castle modulars plus the smaller sets take up quite a bit of shelf space.  Is all this shelf space sustainable?

I read at some point that it's a 5 years deal. Of course, Lego might renew if the HP sets keep selling well but they stopped in the past for a few years after the movies ran their course. It will all come down to $$$'s.

The Castle is one of the few HP sets that's readily available, both at SAH and AMZ/Walmart. Maybe they made a lot but it could also be that the market is saturated. If you wanted one, you bought it. There will always be kids growing into the Train or the Great Hall but the Castle is a different animal. Again, just speculation. Would be nice to know, of course. Because if it goes, ice rink plus MBOM is a nice promo to stock up.

19 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

that begs the question...shelf space is finite...so what goes to make room?

For the vets out there has the amount of shelf space dedicated to LEGO in Target/Walmart changed over the years?  I have noticed that LEGO footprint has almost doubled since Covid...but weren't sure if it's an aberration  

Both my nearest target and Walmart have decreased space in the last 2 years. Walmart is down to a single side of an aisle and target removed a quarter of what they had available. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

Both my nearest target and Walmart have decreased space in the last 2 years. Walmart is down to a single side of an aisle and target removed a quarter of what they had available. 

This may be regional, but I find Targets have INCREASED their LEGO since the closure of TRU. Basically one full aisle both sides, and one side of another aisle in all nearby Targets.

Walmart, the smaller more RURAL stores seem to have shrunk their LEGO sections quite dramatically - Half one side of an aisle now (from a full aisle) - The more Urban stores seemed to have basically stayed about the same. One full aisle both sides with an endcap usually. The obnoxious part is more and more stores putting **** in glass cases.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Achilles said:

This may be regional, but I find Targets have INCREASED their LEGO since the closure of TRU. Basically one full aisle both sides, and one side of another aisle in all nearby Targets.

also most stores i hit now have an extremely out of the way in the corner endcap in the collectibles section next to the books/blu-ray where they keep IDEAS, larger selection of architecture and occasionally larger Creator Expert and Technic sets.  usually the lego sets are facing the rear wall and you would never know they were there without walking all the way around the back of the endcap.  pretty stupid marketing  but its that way at all stores.  the last xmas they sold elves sets, they kept them all there so no one bought any because they weren't seen and there was bonkers clearance at every store.  i miss elves.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

You guys do realize that shelf space is not relevant for what stays and goes, don't you? It isn't like Lego execs are sitting around worrying about shelf space in Target when they have multiple online outlets. There are plenty of examples of Lego maintaining numerous large sets at one time, none of which took up any shelf space except in a few select stores that generally started with "L" and ended with "ego".

Retirements are driven by internal metrics and considerations invisible to us.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, redcell said:

You guys do realize that shelf space is not relevant for what stays and goes, don't you? It isn't like Lego execs are sitting around worrying about shelf space in Target when they have multiple online outlets. There are plenty of examples of Lego maintaining numerous large sets at one time, none of which took up any shelf space except in a few select stores that generally started with "L" and ended with "ego".

Agree 100%.

Shelf space is what determines clearance rounds and prices (like the current WM craziness), but I don't think LEGO gives a s*** about retailer shelf space. That's not their problem to solve.

Lego absolutely cares about shelf space in stores and how their products are displayed. If they didn't they wouldn't have regional reps traveling to the stores. I have seen reps adjusting aisle displays, changing prices and putting out new products. Why not let the individual stores handle all of these tasks instead of paying people to do it for them if they didn't care?
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:
11 hours ago, redcell said:

Lego absolutely cares about shelf space in stores and how their products are displayed. If they didn't they wouldn't have regional reps traveling to the stores. I have seen reps adjusting aisle displays, changing prices and putting out new products. Why not let the individual stores handle all of these tasks instead of paying people to do it for them if they didn't care?

I have also seen this. Lego is very focused on their brand perception. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:
12 hours ago, redcell said:

Well, yeah, I never said they didn't care about shelf space...I said that shelf space is not particularly relevant when it comes to retirement decisions.