Retiring Soon - open speculation

it is gone from everywhere I shop so makes me think it is retired
edit: I take that back amazon has it for 279.99 lol and is more expensive than a lot of sellers
I feel like it will stay. Even though the last Craig Bond film has been pushed out, they could have a 2 year license into 2021.

Regarding the Roller Coaster, I feel like it will stay. There haven't been any other red tracks in sets but the other parts are simple. I feel like with the engineering that went into that set, it will be a centerpiece to the amusement theme. I guess we will see once the black package takes over and what current items, if any, get the treatment.

22 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

pretty sure after Holidays...we will all be looking around wondering..."what just happened?

I am guessing that unreported retirements will be evident for many many sets

So what is your thinking on 75953/75954/75957? All three were first reported as retiring, then not and now available at deep discounts.

Mostly wondering what to do about my Willows. Flip them now for a decent profit and hope to restock in 2021 on EOL sales or hold on.

14 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

So what is your thinking on 75953/75954/75957? All three were first reported as retiring, then not and now available at deep discounts.

Mostly wondering what to do about my Willows. Flip them now for a decent profit and hope to restock in 2021 on EOL sales or hold on.

profit now or more profit later

depends...do you need the money or the storage space...then flip now (there's a reasonable chance to re-stock later...but will need to live w/ your decision if it disappears and price jumps)

if you're looking for bigger profits then you'll likely wait till till at least 2021 holidays or later ...the HP sets are well hoarded (given recent sales)...could be a 2+ year hold to reach the x2+ everyone is hoping for.

45 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

Flip them where?  Still widely available . . .

I'm not sure "most" buyers (or least enough of them) buy beyond the "buy box" regardless of the dates.  Plus, as many have noted, the stock is shipping much sooner.  By the time you get your inventory in to FBA, Amazon could be shipping current again.  FBM, why not.  doesn't cost you anything.

Take this with a grain of salt obviously (youtube comment from a week ago)

"Great video as always! So this interesting... Seems there is some conflicting information. I started working for Lego a few months ago, and we have a list we've been given of sets that are going to retire. We aren't allowed to just show people, but we are allowed to tell them what is retiring if they ask about stuff, so I think I'm safe to share some info here without violating any rules. Our list has the Whomping Willow, Night Bus and Great Hall on it still. I was told it is a fairy up to date list but perhaps not completely up to date it would seem. Just thought I'd share some extra info. Now the treehouse is still on there too, but I was told that one was up in the air, so I'm definitely inclined to go with what you said about it not retiring, and I believe Lego actually announced that somewhere? I'm curious if they actually announced that the other sets weren't being retired too, or if those are just rumors at this point?"

The big discounts on whomping willow have me as believing this... I'm regretting not stocking up on these 3....especially the knight bus at 20$

Edited by Bricklectic

"Great video as always! So this interesting... Seems there is some conflicting information. I started working for Lego a few months ago, and we have a list we've been given of sets that are going to retire. We aren't allowed to just show people, but we are allowed to tell them what is retiring if they ask about stuff, so I think I'm safe to share some info here without violating any rules. Our list has the Whomping Willow, Night Bus and Great Hall on it still. I was told it is a fairy up to date list but perhaps not completely up to date it would seem. Just thought I'd share some extra info. Now the treehouse is still on there too, but I was told that one was up in the air, so I'm definitely inclined to go with what you said about it not retiring, and I believe Lego actually announced that somewhere? I'm curious if they actually announced that the other sets weren't being retired too, or if those are just rumors at this point?"
The big discounts on whomping willow have me as believing this... I'm regretting not stocking up on these 3....especially the knight bus at 20$

I know a employee at Target and they scanned the price tag of the Great Hall at their store for me last week to see if they were getting anymore anytime soon and it came up as "discontinued" with "0 on the way". But this and the earlier post about Walmart not expecting anymore leads me to believe that Great Hall at least may be done.

1 minute ago, Shortbus311 said:

I know a employee at Target and they scanned the price tag of the Great Hall at their store for me last week to see if they were getting anymore anytime soon and it came up as "discontinued" with "0 on the way". But this and the earlier post about Walmart not expecting anymore leads me to believe that Great Hall at least may be done.

I think it may end up that retailers like Walmart and Target stop stocking them to clear shelf space but lego and online retailers may continue to sell until the rumored new retirement date. So it may be the last chance for clearance prices

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

a "fairy list" pretty much sums it up..

• Like 1

I may be a bit off base here, but I think Amazon may be solely driving some of these weird retirement schedules. 

Amazon is the only one selling Ship in a bottle and NASA Apollo. Amazon is the only retailer to have high volume retired sets late into the year (May). Ship in a bottle, Apollo and some technics last year. 

I don't think the HP sets are retiring nor Treehouse. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon was the only retailer selling them.

Side Note: Lego is using Amazon's fulfillment network in some capacity. I ordered 20 Millennium Falcons from Walmart earlier in the year and they were all fulfilled through "Amazon Fulfillment" I almost reported all of them missing because there was no indication it came from Walmart.

41 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Amazon is the only one selling Ship in a bottle and NASA Apollo. Amazon is the only retailer to have high volume retired sets late into the year (May). Ship in a bottle, Apollo and some technics last year. 

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/ship-in-a-bottle-92177
https://www.newegg.com/p/026-000Y-013Z7?Description=lego 21313&cm_re=lego_21313-_-9SIAKZVCYP1770-_-Product

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lego-nasa-apollo-saturn-v-92176

8 minutes ago, raindog said:

Yeah, but Lego SaH pretty much always also sells the store exclusive sets as well. I hadn't even thought of it, but I think @landphieran is right that Amazon probably requested they be brought back as they are/were consistently good sellers and likely has some kind of exclusivity on them. The Newegg link there is a to a reseller of the original ship in a bottle, not the 92177 re-release.

1 hour ago, landphieran said:

. I ordered 20 Millennium Falcons from Walmart earlier in the year and they were all fulfilled through "Amazon Fulfillment" I almost reported all of them missing because there was no indication it came from Walmart.

so you thought the 20 MF that arrived was part of a different order??? Hw many freakin MFs did you order?

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so you thought the 20 MF that arrived was part of a different order??? Hw many freakin MFs did you order?

Tooo many lol. I made some mistakes this year that's for sure. I made about 2k flipping with about a month hold but it was quite the initial investment. Wish I had 20 MF's worth of Friendship Buses or Crests right now :(

On 12/8/2020 at 11:17 PM, landphieran said:

Tooo many lol. I made some mistakes this year that's for sure. I made about 2k flipping with about a month hold but it was quite the initial investment. Wish I had 20 MF's worth of Friendship Buses or Crests right now :(

who am I to question anyone's strategy, but I am curious what criteria you used to pick the MF?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

who am I to question anyone's strategy, but I am curious what criteria you used to pick the MF?

Late night poor decision making. I hate fulfilling my own orders. HATE. I figured I could flip them pretty easily for 100$ profit around the holidays. They ship in cases and its a nice easy flip. (Terrible decision). A lot of other much larger sellers had the same idea and its been mostly a waste of time/money.

• Like 1