Retiring Soon - open speculation

On 12/14/2020 at 5:52 AM, ravel said:

Many investors in Russia are sweeping away the Hidden Side series. 70435 70437 and are sold with a 100% markup already. Many sets are sold out, 70420, 70422, 70423, 70425. What are your thoughts on this series???

Interesting to hear your market so strong for these. I like the theme myself but think they would have been helped out with recognizable baddies. I have sold some of these, so there not totally stagnate here.

26 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Missed out too. I figured Target would blow these out. Never did see a good sale on the larger sets in this theme. Oh well, good luck to those that stocked up. 

AMZN still holding strong on the firetruck and abandoned prison.  Can't believe they still have stock.

The 'for every 3 Mystery Castles you get a free Steamboat Willie' deal @ Kohl's was $$ over BF weekend. 

2 minutes ago, SixBricks said:

These are pretty widely available in my local city right now, curious why you'd call this your biggest regret of the year?

Super short run, not available at many retail locations, never really went on sale, and it's a castle.  Amazon prices are at $240 with two sellers. I'm not on Amazon but that's a nice return for being unavailable at retail for less than a month. 

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:
8 hours ago, SixBricks said:
These are pretty widely available in my local city right now, curious why you'd call this your biggest regret of the year?

What city? In the US?

Since he is flying a Canadian flag on his profile I doubt that it is Atlanta, Georgia.  But who knows, I've been wrong before.  I was once married.....

Edited by raindog
  • Haha 1

Speaking for central Canada, the mystery castle has mysteriously disappeared from online and in store.  I was able to accumulate 11

of these but had to pay retail. I have 90 days to return them worst case scenario.  If all the rumors are true and the line is discontinued

then this will be a sought after set. Then there's always the chance of the big re-stock after Christmas, but not likely since LEGO Shop at Home is sold

out. Waiting to see how this plays out.

42 minutes ago, nami said:

Speaking for central Canada, the mystery castle has mysteriously disappeared from online and in store.  I was able to accumulate 11

of these but had to pay retail. I have 90 days to return them worst case scenario. 

Evidence once again why resellers are so hated by retailers.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, raindog said:

Evidence once again why resellers are so hated by retailers.

This may be controversial. However, I completely disagree. "Returns" are not why retailers hate us. Retailers hate us because we buy out "for sale" items that are used to drive broad customer satisfaction and ancillary sales.

Ex. If you went to target and bought 50 HP Castles at retail and they had 2000 available, they wouldn't care. They don't care if you return these as well.
Ex. You buy 200 of 200 Black Friday Promotional Slave 1's. Now they are mad. You return them after Black Friday? Eh, they'd probably resell them for more anyway. But mostly annoyed you bought them out during a promotional time.

Now obviously bulk returns may be annoying for stock levels and have some minor impact to restocking but ultimately its not the issue. If you've stood in the return line long enough, you will realize the general public is really crappy. A minty fresh Lego set that isn't opened and messed up is a welcome sight for retailers.

Edited by landphieran

14 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

This is what I was referring to in the Target is on to us thread. Seconding the mass return is not cool. 

I appreciated hearing this earlier this year, even though it stung at the time. Now I only buy what I plan to keep unless the set is just trashed. I've had really good luck with that recently, surprisingly so. After putting myself in other shoes I saw how it really does put you in a questionable spot to return multiple sets.

It actually helps me quite a bit. Meaning that if I'm ever tempted to buy a dozen of a single set, but I have that feeling or false comfort that "oh I can just return em if it doesn't pan out" then that means it's probably not a good buy in to begin with. I was either hoping for a better price or an unrealistic future value.

Worst case is not that you can return it, but rather, most Lego sets will rise in value eventually so you just have to hold it until after it retires.

Edited by RightDwigt
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cladner said:

lego aisles in store are so empty right now mass returns might be a like a miraculous restocking. 

image.thumb.png.5c272703f76196daded405a8c17d7377.png

I popped into Meijer, Walmart and Target last night and stock level was good, fair, and basically empty. The Friends section was literally empty. They had started to shelve other toys on the Lego shelves so it wouldn't look so barren.

2 hours ago, nami said:

of these but had to pay retail. I have 90 days to return them worst case scenario.  If all the rumors are true and the line is discontinued

then this will be a sought after set. Then there's always the chance of the big re-stock after Christmas, but not likely since LEGO Shop at Home is sold

out. Waiting to see how this plays out.

This is about as slammy of a dunk as possible. No need to worry.