Retiring Soon - open speculation

On 12/15/2020 at 11:05 PM, Belac said:

Interesting to hear your market so strong for these. I like the theme myself but think they would have been helped out with recognizable baddies. I have sold some of these, so there not totally stagnate here.

Yes, there are really not enough villains, especially in the large format (big figures). At least in the castle and in the school, because in the application there is a large werewolf bear

4 hours ago, raindog said:

Yes, it seems that the problem here is not BrickSet providing erroneous info but rather people using it not knowing how to properly read and interpret what the site says.  It's like a carpenter not knowing how a screwdriver works and then complaining that the screwdriver makes a lousy tool for scraping paint.

While I agree that I and other misread brickset's "availability on LEGO.com" as a beginning and end date your analogy of using a screwdriver as a scraper is off.

A better example would be misreading dates for a sale or a sale price for an item.  Mistakes happen.  No need to belittle or insult those who made a mistake.

14 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

While I agree that I and other misread brickset's "availability on LEGO.com" as a beginning and end date your analogy of using a screwdriver as a scraper is off.

A better example would be misreading dates for a sale or a sale price for an item.  Mistakes happen.  No need to belittle or insult those who made a mistake.

Shoot, I think a screwdriver works just fine scraping paint.  Just takes me a little longer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

Shoot, I think a screwdriver works just fine scraping paint.  Just takes me a little longer.

See, the analogy works: Using Brickset availability dates as an indication of retirement works too ... Just need to hold your sets a little longer.

Edited by Phil B

2 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I don't understand how you can mistake "Availability at LEGO.COM" as meaning a retirement date.  That's not a mistake but just not understanding the meaning.  Nevertheless, I meant no insult nor belittlement.  The answer to ignorance (lack of knowledge) is education, not insults.  I, myself, am ignorant of many, many things.  It can be a small blow to your ego to have an instance pointed out but, in the long run, it makes you a smarter and better person.  All that be said, I humbly apologize that you took what I said as a personal insult when it was not intended as such.  Indeed, until this very moment, I had not made note of any names that had made the "mistake."  But I'll make a special effort in the future to tiptoe around your feelings when answering or addressing any of your future posts, exracer327.  I wouldn't want anyone getting upset with me in the comfy confines of the internet.

3 minutes ago, cladner said:

image.thumb.png.0d54e20862416721bee06eec3cfda00c.png

gone in europe.  oos on amazon us and already $50, double the easily obtainable $24ish peramasale price making any lingering retail stock armswipable. even with a few small restockings, this one's gonna be $75-90 pretty quickly. 

Connix will be sought after

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, raindog said:

I don't understand how you can mistake "Availability at LEGO.COM" as meaning a retirement date.  That's not a mistake but just not understanding the meaning.  Nevertheless, I meant no insult nor belittlement.  The answer to ignorance (lack of knowledge) is education, not insults.  I, myself, am ignorant of many, many things.  It can be a small blow to your ego to have an instance pointed out but, in the long run, it makes you a smarter and better person.  All that be said, I humbly apologize that you took what I said as a personal insult when it was not intended as such.  Indeed, until this very moment, I had not made note of any names that had made the "mistake."  But I'll make a special effort in the future to tiptoe around your feelings when answering or addressing any of your future posts, exracer327.  I wouldn't want anyone getting upset with me in the comfy confines of the internet.

Who knew correcting someone's analogy would trigger someone.  Misreading a website (which I completely admit to, and apparently others have done) vs using a tool for a purpose it was not intended are two very different things.  But if you want to ignore me over my reading error, then go for it because sadly, I'm sure I will make that mistake again in the future.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread...

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

Who knew correcting someone's analogy would trigger someone.  Misreading a website (which I completely admit to, and apparently others have done) vs using a tool for a purpose it was not intended are two very different things.  But if you want to ignore me over my reading error, then go for it because sadly, I'm sure I will make that mistake again in the future.

You are taking all of this way too serious.  I thought that we were just having fun.  I'll just say, have a Merry Christmas, full of love and joy.  And may you get all the LEGO that your heart desires.

Edited by raindog

Straight from LEGO - Ideas Treehouse and Flintstones are NOT retiring.  Vestas Windmill and Volkswagen T1 Camper are "Retired", however some remaining backstock may become available for a brief time early in 2021.  But they are definitely not producing anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Straight from a Lego store? Or straight from Denmark?

Hey guys I'm just trying to be helpful. Laugh and joke all you want. I'm a former employee and I have a reliable source at the company so take the info or leave it.  I could care less.  There is a website on the company's internal server that lists all retired sets in any given year.  When I worked there (in my pre-reseller days), I used to print the list out for myself and it helped me plan out which sets to buy first for my personal collection when money was tight.  But everyone keep buying up all the Treehouses you want, sheesh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Zepp said:

Hey guys I'm just trying to be helpful. Laugh and joke all you want. I'm a former employee and I have a reliable source at the company so take the info or leave it.  I could care less.  There is a website on the company's internal server that lists all retired sets in any given year.  When I worked there (in my pre-reseller days), I used to print the list out for myself and it helped me plan out which sets to buy first for my personal collection when money was tight.  But everyone keep buying up all the Treehouses you want, sheesh.

I think people have stopped buying them already, for those that were buying them in the first place. I believe there was more unloading of these in the last few weeks than buying up new stock. Would be news to me about The Flintstones, however. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

I think people have stopped buying them already, for those that were buying them in the first place. I believe there was more unloading of these in the last few weeks than buying up new stock. Would be news to me about The Flintstones, however. 

I'd be amazed if they kept flinstones around versus Steamboat willie. If either come back, it will be my final time investing in an idea's set.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Zepp said:

I think he just wanted clarification as to your source. We all know LEGO managers say a lot of different things. We all appreciate the information if we know it's from a reliable source. Thanks for the update. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Brystheguy said:

I think he just wanted clarification as to your source. We all know LEGO managers say a lot of different things. We all appreciate the information if we know it's from a reliable source. Thanks for the update. 

I think a lot have heavily invested in Tree house this year.
How many on here have big stock held of these?

47 minutes ago, Zepp said:

Appreciate the info. But there have been hundreds of people here that have said "what the Lego store employee told them". There may even be a thread for it.

• Like 1