Retiring Soon - open speculation

can't help but think that once Mexico is back up and running they are going to crank out a big batch of sets that are slated for retirement. completely understand the current situation, but there would be a lot of pissed of customers that couldn't get one of these sets. and what would it take to fire up the line already producing said sets? and LEGO, as a company, is all about the customer.

could be wrong. but my guess is there will still be a chance at sets slated for retirement this year.

Edited by MotorCityMuscle
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

i think alot of potter stuff will go, AS & maybe rollarcoaster or treehouse?

I'm expecting the Hogwarts Express (75955) to go this year. And I'm expecting it to do well after retirement.

Assembly Square (10255) seems also like a likely candidate. There are some pretty big new sets available now and some older big sets need to make place for it, right ?

I don't think Rollercoaster (10261) will go just yet. It's the only big set which offers lots of rollercoaster track elements for MOC builders. Assuming it's still in good demand.

Treehouse (21318) ought to be on the regular Ideas retirement schedule of (year of release) + 1 year = year of retirement. I doubt it will do an exception like Saturn V did. This set could do pretty well after retirement. Similar to Old Fishing Store. Other Ideas sets sharing the same fate: Steamboat Willie, The Flintstones, and maybe also Dinosaur Fossils.

An outsider candidate for going out could be: The Upside Down (75810) from Stranger Things. It's in production for a year now, and the target audience is not very wide. EOF end od 2020 doesn't seem unlikely to me.

An entire Theme that could well be on the way out is the Overwatch Theme. I think it was a mistake for LEGO to spend their resources on this theme and I don't think it make a lot of money.

And finally, the LEGO Movie 2 Theme will see a lot of retirements is my expectation.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

Assembly Square (10255) seems also like a likely candidate. There are some pretty big new sets available now and some older big sets need to make place for it, right ?

Oos everywhere, hopefully we'll see it return a couple of times before it's gone for good... it's already 20% over retail price on the bay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HandyHand said:

An entire Theme that could well be on the way out is the Overwatch Theme. I think it was a mistake for LEGO to spend their resources on this theme and I don't think it make a lot of money.

There are 6 new sets due out in 2020 according to brickset

2 hours ago, HandyHand said:

Without any data, is it just conjecture this theme hasn't made LEGO money? What do you base it on?

By the way:

Creator Expert as a theme is discontinued. Future sets will have a "classic" black 18+ box design like 10273 in order to specifically target adults & get rid of "childish" box art. This will affect all future models that would fall into the Creator Expert line. (Source: StoneWarsDE)

Bummer, I enjoyed the old box art, don't really feel the new one. Modulars with a black box... 🤒

Edited by elmaslıefendi
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

Without any data, is it just conjecture this theme hasn't made LEGO money? What do you base it on?

I picked up a few Overwatch sets after Christmas on clearance. I spoke with the LEGO sales rep in a Walmart, where they weren't clearancing Overwatch. She said those other stores should not have put them on clearance. She told me Overwatch was one of the top sellers of the 2019 holidays and stores which were lucky enough to have stock left shouldn't be putting them on clearance.

1 hour ago, hushed said:

I picked up a few Overwatch sets after Christmas on clearance. I spoke with the LEGO sales rep in a Walmart, where they weren't clearancing Overwatch. She said those other stores should not have put them on clearance. She told me Overwatch was one of the top sellers of the 2019 holidays and stores which were lucky enough to have stock left shouldn't be putting them on clearance.

Which Walmart does a “LEGO sales rep” appear in person? Just curious, big city or flagship store?

39 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

Which Walmart does a “LEGO sales rep” appear in person? Just curious, big city or flagship store?

Big city. In Austin Texas, all of the Walmarts have a sales rep. I forget the exact schedule, but I will run across them about 3 times a year. They tend to get an assistant during the Fall. There used to just be one sales person for all of Austin, but now it's split between two, and they get into the suburbs some.

9 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

You're talking coffee right?

Black coffee FTW ! 🙂

Regarding the Overwatch Theme, that was just an assumption and possibly completely wrong. Maybe it's also doing better in the USA than in Europe? When I look at Dutch figures I don't see much interest in this theme. The teenagers playing Overwatch are often in their Lego Dark Ages, if they were Lego fans as kids before. That's why I speculated that the Overwatch theme may not be doing well. The teenagers playing the game aren't usually interested in Lego any longer I think...

I knew and know nothing about “overwatch” the game, some of the sets were good part out when on sale. 

FWIW. Investment, I asked the kids, they all PLAYED  the game and they all said it was OLD (as in last years thing) and it wasn’t much fun. No interest in the LEGO sets. 

Might be a good time to grab a couple of these: $255 FS no tax for 31313 Mindstorms @ Zavvi, retiring soon. Might not be the best price historically but it's OOS lots of places and may not come back. Questionable how it will compare value-wise to the successor, but it seems like a solid set we can at least make our money back on.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14052212-lego-mindstorms-ev3-robot-building-kit-31313-254-99-free-shipping?src=frontpage

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 3:46 PM, Al Legorical said:

I knew and know nothing about “overwatch” the game, some of the sets were good part out when on sale. 

FWIW. Investment, I asked the kids, they all PLAYED  the game and they all said it was OLD (as in last years thing) and it wasn’t much fun. No interest in the LEGO sets. 

Overwatch 2 is coming this or next year, so popularity for the game will rise again.

I also agree with HandyHand that these sets will be interesting for those kids once they’re out of their dark ages. Question is if you wanna keep those sets around that long.

6 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

don't ever buy at full price but just hit 5 smyths for assembly sq, 75954 potter castle & 71043 looks like they had a small delivery...

I’m not sure still they will retire the Harry Potter castle this year. The new set will attach to this, so why retire it when it will keep selling well? I have a store near me with 5 of these, maybe I’ll go pick them up.... just in case

13 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

don't ever buy at full price but just hit 5 smyths for assembly sq, 75954 potter castle & 71043 looks like they had a small delivery...

So you mean online or in store?

I see what you mean about a delivery. Stacks and stacks of 75954. Can't bring myself to pay 90 for it!

Edited by Lego Benito