Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

And not enough people producing more or shipping those which have already been sold.  I noticed that many of these have been backordered for at least a couple of months.

LEGO LEGO Shop at Home is starting to look like Target toy aisle Christmas time

I don't remember so many current sets being backorder/OOS

• 3 weeks later...

Lego did put out a statement regarding COVID-19 on the Ambassador network:

Announcement: Product availability

I'm sharing a message from The LEGO Group regarding product availability, you can share this with your communities and on your channels: 

During the past few months we have seen a strong demand for our products as families and hobbyists turn to building to help them get through this difficult period. As a result, we have been working incredibly hard to make sure that our products are available online in our stores and our retail partners’ ecommerce sites.

We have been fortunate that our factories in Europe and Asia continue to operate.  Our factory in Mexico has been closed for the past few weeks after the Mexican government ordered all non-essential manufacturing sites to close while the country focussed on preventing the spread of the virus.  We have been using our full global supply chain to ship products to all markets and fulfil orders as best as possible.

While COVID has created a very dynamic and uncertain environment, at this stage it hasn’t impacted decisions about when to retire products

This leaves more questions than answers for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hushed said:

Lego did put out a statement regarding COVID-19 on the Ambassador network:

This leaves more questions than answers for me.

Well, at least it explains the low stock or out of stock situation of many sets in the USA, while they are still available normally over here in Europe. 

7 hours ago, HandyHand said:

Well, at least it explains the low stock or out of stock situation of many sets in the USA, while they are still available normally over here in Europe. 

Agreed. I can imagine LEGO is currently receiving a lot of questions regarding products currently TOOS at SAH, specifically about whether those products have been retired earlier than usually or not. The above statement simply clarifies that those products are TOOS due to production shortages, which is important as LEGO recently sent out their newsletter for EOL sets.

That being said: 71043 really does seem to be EOL in Europe now - just in time for the next HP D2C set?

It seems to be suggesting that - particularly in North America - some sets that were going to retire this year still will, without every returning to normal availability. Might actually be worth stocking up on certain sets now if possible.

Edited by Captain_chaos

2 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

It seems to be suggesting that - particularly in North America - some sets that were going to retire this year still will, without every returning to normal availability. Might actually be worth stocking up on certain sets now if possible.

I'm hoping for this scenario. Many people are buying the wrong large exclusives right now, retiring sets that will be sought after 8 months from now are still in stock.

3 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

What sort of sets do you think? Will be interesting to see what they have on the shelves when stores like Smyths reopen.

Edited by Lego Benito

"While COVID has created a very dynamic and uncertain environment, at this stage it hasn’t impacted decisions about when to retire products "

Its strange sentence... The logic says that when I am talking about some new, unexpected factor affected the production capacity, then the retirement plans should be changed... It can easy happen, that some sets, which retirement is planned for the end of year and are now out of stock, will be available just for moment, and disappeared again quickly due the resellers panic buying, so their real life will be strongly shortened....

About 71043 - I cannot imagine finishing this iconic, flagship set too soon, just after incomplete 2 years, while the standard sets are still alive and coming more and more waves... Even new D2C set will not affect this set - there is no other building / scene in HP world, which can be similar to this castle...

18 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

I'm only guessing what will retire at this stage, but 10255 seems like a fairly obvious example. 

Aye, you're probably right there. The Diner ceeps like it's been around for a long time now, as well.

I'm worried about the Ideas Treehouse as I really want that for my own collection. Hope it doesn't slip away.

17 minutes ago, Lego Benito said:

Aye, you're probably right there. The Diner ceeps like it's been around for a long time now, as well.

I'm worried about the Ideas Treehouse as I really want that for my own collection. Hope it doesn't slip away.

You could get the treehouse on El Corte Ingles UK these days for about 159 €. If you use ********** UK, another 16,5% will be deducted from the net amount so you’re looking at 140 € total. Packaging isn’t always the best, so you might get a damaged box from Spain.

A list from 2019 Dec blogs sees Falcon + Death Star getting retired this year along with the 20 yr anniversary collector sets: https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-star-wars-sets-retiring-in-2020-and-2021-revealed/amp/

47 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

i think we will see one of the modular's retire. but i'm not sure if it's Assembly Square. it might be the Diner. 

i believe the Death Star is almost certain to poof this year. 

HP and Disney Castle could be likely candidates as well. who knows. 

I predict a double retirement of Assembly and either Diner or Corner Garage. The latter has been received rather poorly, at least in Europe, and could have a similarly short run as the Brick Bank. Downtown Diner seems to be doing much better.

6 minutes ago, Kekskrabbe said:

I predict a double retirement of Assembly and either Diner or Corner Garage. The latter has been received rather poorly, at least in Europe, and could have a similarly short run as the Brick Bank. Downtown Diner seems to be doing much better.

The Corner Garage would need to retire at the end of 2021 to have the same life as Brick Bank. Diner might go, but I doubt there will be a double retirement. The retirement of Detective's Office and Brick Bank was probably to 'catch up' on retirements, since Pet Shop had lasted so long that there was no retirement in 2015.

• Like 2

For my the Assembly square is no. 1 candidate, because of 1. longest production, 2. high price (remember soon EOL of City Hall?).

Dont expect double retirement, we dont have so much modulars now.

Cant imagine the retirement of Garage just after 2 years, even it is the worst and expensive set. It is a hot candidate for sooner retirement out of the order, but maybe next year.