Retiring Soon - open speculation

2 hours ago, cmartin33 said:

You'll be fine. My warehouse isn't climate controlled and my seals are fine.

Might depend on what kind of extremes you are talking about.  At my former shop it wasn't climate controlled and after one year of -10 to 105 temperature swings seals definitely started to weaken.

Depending on the seasons, Dehumidifiers, moisture absorbers, silicon gel sachets and if a box does warp due to moisture, I found a hair dryer or small heater can help de-warp (not 100% guaranteed) and some boxes take longer than others. Professional storage units are better for boxes but obviously more costly and eats into profits. Plastic boxes do help if left closed properly. Swings and roundabouts. If anyone else has tips be good to know.

On a retiring note, has anyone else noticed LEGO are letting some sets quietly fade away without an RS tag (e.g.75888)? I thought we should have had 200 sets retire this winter but never saw that many RS tags on SaH? To me it seems less sets retired this winter.

5 hours ago, Yellow Castle said:

On a retiring note, has anyone else noticed LEGO are letting some sets quietly fade away without an RS tag (e.g.75888)? I thought we should have had 200 sets retire this winter but never saw that many RS tags on SaH? To me it seems less sets retired this winter.

I really think the retiring soon tag is only used to drum up interest.  There are quire a few that will slip quietly into the night.  I think 40354 is done and that's not on anyone's list.

5 hours ago, zaphoid said:

I really think the retiring soon tag is only used to drum up interest.  There are quire a few that will slip quietly into the night.  I think 40354 is done and that's not on anyone's list.

In my  country,  this one is a steaming turd! 

Screenshot_20200109-185512_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

We will happily send you as many as you want.

We will happily send you as many as you want.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ED-209 said:

In my  country,  this one is a steaming turd! 

that just goes to show how region affects different sets.  These have been sold out in the US since the beginning of the year, and are selling for ~$17-$20 on Amazon and eBay while still not officially retired.  I've got a few and plan to hold until next Chinese New Year (maybe pair with the Lucky Cat)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

BB supposed to retire this year. If the sources are credible it'll go along with a second modular, supposedly DO. Crazy right? Two at once!

Think I'll have to start looking at modulars now looking at the success already of the PR . Why oh why did I just not click the purchase button on lego shop, I was so tempted but just assumed I would have my money tied in it for too long so left alone. I'm guessing alot of people went the same way as me due to how its performing right now.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, raulaco said:

Think I'll have to start looking at modulars now looking at the success already of the PR . Why oh why did I just not click the purchase button on lego shop, I was so tempted but just assumed I would have my money tied in it for too long so left alone. I'm guessing alot of people went the same way as me due to how its performing right now.

Umm, no. That thing is hoarded by a lot of people. I can't think of any AFOL that doesn't have this set already. The price hiking up so fast is due to "LEGO is better than gold"-newbies that don't mind paying 200 for a recently retired modular. 

6 minutes ago, raulaco said:

I love the modular but they worry me as an investment. It's a lot of cash to tie-up in one item. A shitty buyer on ebay would be disappointing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Umm, no. That thing is hoarded by a lot of people. I can't think of any AFOL that doesn't have this set already. The price hiking up so fast is due to "LEGO is better than gold"-newbies that don't mind paying 200 for a recently retired modular. 

True.  DO & BB did ok because of the short life and out of order retirement.  Modulars in general have not been good investments since the beginning.  FB & GE were the last hits.

1 minute ago, gmpirate said:

True.  DO & BB did ok because of the short life and out of order retirement.  Modulars in general have not been good investments since the beginning.  FB & GE were the last hits.

I wouldn't say since the beginning. I think every modular did well as a big set except for PC, PS & PR, which are all around the 200 mark. And even these could double your money if your buy-in was 30% off.

Umm, no. That thing is hoarded by a lot of people. I can't think of any AFOL that doesn't have this set already.

Wow. How many of the millions of AFOLs do you know?
I hope you didn’t take too much time through out your day thinking through each one. If you took just one second to think of one name it would take you...
Sorry, I ran out of fingers.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, donbee said:

Wow. How many of the millions of AFOLs do you know?
I hope you didn’t take too much time through out your day thinking through each one. If you took just one second to think of one name it would take you...
Sorry, I ran out of fingers.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Do I have to mention the word "personally" in that sentence? 

People like you p*ss me off. I'm curious do you have too much time or do you enjoy this?

• Haha 1

You speak with such certainty in nearly everyone of your posts that it is also off-putting. Presumably, the reason why this modular has been out so long is because it is a phenomenal seller for LEGO. The market isn't static. There are always new entrants that will have missed this one. At $112 you aren't going to lose money on this set unless you are just really terrible at selling LEGO. Just because it doesn't make sense to you to buy it doesn't mean it's not a good decision for someone else. I'll give you the same advice my wife and I do our 8 year old: talk less and listen more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, pharmjod said:

You speak with such certainty in nearly everyone of your posts that it is also off-putting. Presumably, the reason why this modular has been out so long is because it is a phenomenal seller for LEGO. The market isn't static. There are always new entrants that will have missed this one. At $112 you aren't going to lose money on this set unless you are just really terrible at selling LEGO. Just because it doesn't make sense to you to buy it doesn't mean it's not a good decision for someone else. I'll give you the same advice my wife and I do our 8 year old: talk less and listen more.

Which is funny given all the talking you’re doing in opposition to the general consensus. 

10 minutes ago, pharmjod said:

Well, we spoke about RRP didn't we? I have a bunch of PRs myself, I just wouldn't buy them for 150€. And that's nothing not to be certain about. I guess I should keep my opinion to myself then, it's not like this is a forum or sth where people express their opinions on topics.

I'm really sorry. PR is a great buy at 150€. I don't know a single AFOL personally that has this set. Amazing potential. If you don't want to miss out, go buy rn off eBay for 200€/£, trust me you won't regret it!

Edited by elmaslıefendi
Dang, forgot to add 'personally', didn't want to mislead any donbees, sorry.