Retiring Soon - open speculation

I realize Betrayal @ CC is technically not UCS (and also is not selling well), but it was issued in the UCS cycle where no true UCS set occurred.  Has LEGO ever retired two UCS type sets at the same time (I.E. Y-Wing and BaCC)? 

It seems more likely that one of those two would most likely go in the spring time, when the next UCS type set would be issued.  The Y-Wing has had several sales, but I've only seen one sale for BaCC.  What do you guys think?  Would they still end two sets at Christmas time?  Seems more like LEGO would try to drive sales and then end one of the two later.

7 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I realize Betrayal @ CC is technically not UCS (and also is not selling well), but it was issued in the UCS cycle where no true UCS set occurred.  Has LEGO ever retired two UCS type sets at the same time (I.E. Y-Wing and BaCC)? 

It seems more likely that one of those two would most likely go in the spring time, when the next UCS type set would be issued.  The Y-Wing has had several sales, but I've only seen one sale for BaCC.  What do you guys think?  Would they still end two sets at Christmas time?  Seems more like LEGO would try to drive sales and then end one of the two later.

CC and Y wing are both done in terms of production. Lord knows how many Lego and Amazon still have in warehouse, though.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Val-E said:

One thing is a reissue within the same line, we have seen plenty. Another is a reissue in another line.

And a third thing is: What would keep TLG from doing it anyway? They've pretty much been giving sh*t about any "(portfolio) traditions" they had been keeping up for decades, so why does it "have to be" different in this case?

20 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

And a third thing is: What would keep TLG from doing it anyway? They've pretty much been giving sh*t about any "(portfolio) traditions" they had been keeping up for decades, so why does it "have to be" different in this case?

Common sense. I think that an immediate rerelease with a price hike is a conspiracy theory to file with 9/11 being an inside job.

That they could do it 3 or 4 years down the line, maybe.

In any case, reseller scum have more than enough of these in stock to screw themselves undercutting each other until then. See Ecto 1 for more details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Common sense. I think that an immediate rerelease with a price hike is a conspiracy theory to file with 9/11 being an inside job.

That they could do it 3 or 4 years down the line, maybe.

In any case, reseller scum have more than enough of these in stock to screw themselves undercutting each other until then. See Ecto 1 for more details.

Thing is "common sense" is not a part of TLG's business or product strategies anymore.

On the other hand I agree with your assumption regarding the hoarding of the Saturn ideas issue.

It´s a perfectly valid argument for the point I am making - no IDEAS (or indeed other theme) has been re-released as part of a different theme. Minecraft is the closest but the actual sets were different.

They could have done it with Ecto and the GBHQ, Mars Rover or the Delorean.

On the other hand there will be a record number of Creator Expert sets released in 2020 so the chances are higher than ever if it was going to happen.

I think it is more likely that they make a separate theme based on the success of the NASA rocket... O wait, they did :)

It would also make sense if they get a rehash of the Creator expert space shuttles from a few years back that are branded by NASA. I would buy a version with more detail that goes from 1200 pieces to around double that. 

10231-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It´s a perfectly valid argument for the point I am making - no IDEAS (or indeed other theme) has been re-released as part of a different theme. Minecraft is the closest but the actual sets were different.

They could have done it with Ecto and the GBHQ, Mars Rover or the Delorean.

On the other hand there will be a record number of Creator Expert sets released in 2020 so the chances are higher than ever if it was going to happen.

It is a perfectly valid argument if the point you're making is to compare apples and oranges.

My point is: The chances for Saturn V to become the first to break the (old) rules and get a(n updated?) Creator Experte reissue ("right") after the retirement of the Ideas version are much, much better (and also in a very different, much better suited situation than your other examples were in) than any of the mentioned cases where it did not happen.

(btw: please quote the posts you're answering to, else it's hard to always keep track of your "answer" posts)

Edited by Frank Brickowski

12 minutes ago, Legojona said:

I think it is more likely that they make a separate theme based on the success of the NASA rocket... O wait, they did :)

It would also make sense if they get a rehash of the Creator expert space shuttles from a few years back that are branded by NASA. I would buy a version with more detail that goes from 1200 pieces to around double that. 

10231-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

The one that was already rehashed back in the day? Not gonna happen while there is the new City space sub theme.

I think Lego will give a bit of breathing space for 2 or so years.

13 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

It is a perfectly valid argument if the point you're making is to compare apples and oranges.

My point is: The chances for Saturn V to become the first to break the (old) rules and get a(n updated?) Creator Experte reissue ("right") after the retirement of the Ideas version are much, much better (and also in a very different, much better suited situation than your other examples were in) than any of the mentioned cases where it did not happen.

(btw: please quote the posts you're answering to, else it's hard to always keep track of your "answer" posts)

Well, according to Promobricks, it was going to retire 2 years ago so I guess they must have already re-released it without telling anyone. Raising the price is no problem for keeping it as an Ideas set considering they did that in Spain on 1/1/2018....

2 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Except for 9/11 actually being an inside job... Not going off-topic, but research WTC 7... who still believes this nonsense?

Staying  :offtopic:  http://pilotsfor911truth.org Interesting site.

Besides Con S Piracy is ubiquitous throughout humanity, 

? to topic :- LEGO very well “know what they are doing”, they sure as heck know that resellers stock up bigly on certain sets, and will play the game.
Like using RETIRING soon. Limited purchase quantity (initially) deliberately under feeding the market and “Exclusive”

Data analytics is BIG, they have enough to predict sales pretty accurately, but some sets do go unexpectedly “hot” and that’s where our money is made

I think they realize they’ve overplayed UCS

9 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

Data analytics is BIG, they have enough to predict sales pretty accurately, but some sets do go unexpectedly “hot” and that’s where our money is made

I think they realize they’ve overplayed UCS

There are still not capable of setting up a properly working website. What more does it take to prove that are are VERY FAR from tech-savvy?