Retiring Soon - open speculation

On 10/20/2019 at 4:46 PM, redcell said:

Hulkbuster Smash was a $30 set and is going for $103 on Amazon currently.  76105 and 76104 will do just fine post-EOL.

Agreed - I don't see it getting to $100, but it's been one of the top-selling sets on Amazon since its release and I can't imagine it won't stay popular after it retires.

21 minutes ago, glucapg said:

For example? 

(here's me trying to so off my Newb BP knowledge):

the obvious one is Apocalapseburg: truly unique and creative...would stand on its own merit without the Movie, IMO (Very Planet of teh Apes and a center piece for Zonbie themes).

It's a great investment because of the minifigs...there boast a eclectic mix of unique DC characters...the star is the EVER popular Harley quin (She has a cool movie coming up but she doesn't need one as she's one of the most popular characters..probably amongst Adult male 35-50 lol...which overlaps well w/ AfoL demographics btw))

The negative is that its a big set with all the known issues of large box...but being a prime piece out candidate also helps mitigate...the Minfigs alone were fethcing 65% of the set price ion ebay in past months....the HQ mf is like a $50 bill)

The current sale price of $219 is attractive and I was tempted, but I think come black friday we may see a full 30-35% off...no way a set like this hits 50%...they will all get hoarded at 30% off.

I think the sleeper is Rexselsior...I really don't see many of these around...and held a solid $100 for its life on ebay...I could see kids a year form now wanting it because I think it's a real hit for the target boy LEGO age...and parents willing to fork over the 2x readily for it.

• Like 1

Even with the whole theme 50% off, only one tlm2 set managed to make amazon top 100.  Emmett house #92 meh Why waste ur money investing in TLM2 theme when It sells poorly now.  Doesn’t bode well.  And 75% off  is just around the corner and then ur into a long hold at 50% bye bye Cagr

just my two cents.  Maybe I’ll be wrong but I doubt it.  So many easier tried and true investment choices but to each their own.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cladner said:

Even with the whole theme 50% off, only one tlm2 set managed to make amazon top 100.  Emmett house #92 meh Why waste ur money investing in TLM2 theme when It sells poorly now.  Doesn’t bode well.  And 75% off  is just around the corner and then ur into a long hold at 50% bye bye Cagr

just my two cents.  Maybe I’ll be wrong but I doubt it.  So many easier tried and true investment choices but to each their own.  

People are just looking for the next double decker couch.

16 minutes ago, Val-E said:

People are just looking for the next double decker couch.

i think we will see a clearance blow out on these in the 75% off range. 

some of the TLM sets have done alright - metal beard duel but it took a long time to get there.

then there's 70809

meanwhile $19.99 permasale 10736 has tripled in price in under a year.  that's the kind of return action i look for.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, cladner said:

i actually think the dream house will do ok.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I think the sleeper is Rexselsior...I really don't see many of these around...and held a solid $100 for its life on ebay...I could see kids a year form now wanting it because I think it's a real hit for the target boy LEGO age...and parents willing to fork over the 2x readily for it.

One man's opinion......probably wrong

I hadn't seen this set on a store shelf until yesterday (I hadn't really looked at stuff for months). I was intrigued by the size of the box and set, but as I looked at the box "art" and looked at the ship, there wasn't one thing that made me want to buy this. Drab, boring, awful ship design, etc. Many times, I see a box, and it triggers the desire to buy. This box triggered my desire to not even bother looking at the back.

For piece count/price, the set will still be a mild winner, one day, at 50%.

• Like 1

I like the party bus (70828). It's got a sleek and creative design, and I think it would appeal to kids who like the Friends theme--especially along the lines of the pop-star stuff. Of course, that's not based on any real data, as my Target is sitting on these 7 deep and it can't even crack the top 100 in building toy sales on Amazon even at its current 50%-off price. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyBricks said:

I like the party bus (70828). It's got a sleek and creative design, and I think it would appeal to kids who like the Friends theme--especially along the lines of the pop-star stuff. Of course, that's not based on any real data, as my Target is sitting on these 7 deep and it can't even crack the top 100 in building toy sales on Amazon even at its current 50%-off price. 

i like 70838. batman figure alone is doing well. @£50 dont see how you can lose

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, freakchem said:

I'm afraid that Saturn V will come back in Creator catagory right after retire...

Let's say this did happen: what would the agreement have to be with the creators of the IDEAs submission? Do they still get a cut of sales since it is the same product? I have to imagine that, once it retires, it's done. 

8 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

Let's say this did happen: what would the agreement have to be with the creators of the IDEAs submission? Do they still get a cut of sales since it is the same product? I have to imagine that, once it retires, it's done. 

LEGO is ruthless. I can imagine them retiring it, reissuing it as a Creator Set + 1 piece and pricing it at 150-180. 

9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Then why retire it in the first place?

There has to be a reason, we'll probably never know... 

I think LEGO realized they underpriced the damn thing.