Retiring Soon - open speculation

On 9/27/2019 at 11:57 PM, Yellow Castle said:

Can we add 70618, DB to this as plenty of bounty’s on eBay here in UK at well below RRP. This is a lovely set but clearly lots of people hoarded and not strong (presently) in the after market.

Last month Argos dropped the price to £49.99 + offered a £5 gc if you spent £50 or more.  Everyone bought loads hence ppl are making profit even selling under rrp. They didnt sell out at £49.99 indicating there are billions still available.

1 hour ago, joneyyy1981 said:

they don't HAVE to anything... just asking how he knows... there is no gun to his head ffs

Lego produce a rolling exit date list as part of their wholesale ordering system and the only people privy to it are usual buyers or their friends. Lego don´t like this info being shared, same with all the new set info with confidential watermarks so not many people "in the know" want to say  how and why they know as it could cause them or their friends problems.

• Like 6

On 6/17/2019 at 1:24 AM, Saruman said:

btp? as in British Transport Police?

Any ideas on when Ninjago City is going? I was hoping it would be black fridayed at LEGO SaH and I might buy 2. Typically any set is a winner if you sell it on Amazon, except for Prince of Persia. Those sets are D E A D DEAD

You forgot about the Lone Ranger theme - I'm still trying to sell the 79107 Comanche Camp below RRP - still no chance... even on Amazon (in the EU). ?

1 hour ago, Infiltrator said:

You forgot about the Lone Ranger theme - I'm still trying to sell the 79107 Comanche Camp below RRP - still no chance... even on Amazon (in the EU). ?

I suspect that both the films and the LEGO sets fell victim to the political climate, lone Ranger the “woke” ness. And prince of Persia the Middle East connection... just a hunch.

I very much doubt there being a western (cowboy) theme any time soon, if ever again.

9 hours ago, Al Legorical said:

I suspect that both the films and the LEGO sets fell victim to the political climate, lone Ranger the “woke” ness. And prince of Persia the Middle East connection... just a hunch.

I very much doubt there being a western (cowboy) theme any time soon, if ever again.

I think the movies were just not that good. The prince of persia middle east connection would have made the sands of time game in 2003 quite an issue as 9/11 was only just two years before. It  sold very well and within a decade led to a crappy movie. 

The old western themed sets and lone ranger ones will probably not age well, I'm afraid. As an investor I would take that into account when purchasing. 

I just hope people will not start about the friendly portrayal of pirates being insensitive to their victims... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Legojona said:

I think the movies were just not that good. The prince of persia middle east connection would have made the sands of time game in 2003 quite an issue as 9/11 was only just two years before. It  sold very well and within a decade led to a crappy movie. 

The old western themed sets and lone ranger ones will probably not age well, I'm afraid. As an investor I would take that into account when purchasing. 

I just hope people will not start about the friendly portrayal of pirates being insensitive to their victims... :D

Maybe not but the last pirate “theme” sets were chess and amusement park ride. And yes I bought into Lone Ranger bigly ? that I got 100% wrong

Not retiring related (sorry) but I sent an idea to Lego to create a Speed Champion X(brand TBC), to make them bigger to be able to fit a motor in and do a kind of ScaLEGOtrix. I’m sure Hasbro has Patent on anything like this but hey, thought it might be a way of bringing SP range to life and fun for kids and adults.

On retiring note I like Speed Champions, they don’t give as good a ROI as they did after retirement but the 75871 mustang was a great investment, wish I’d bought more.

8 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

Is Hidden Side faltering?

all but two sets are 20% off already!

Standard practice these days. Nearly everything hits 20% off at Walmart/Amazon pretty quick after release. Many sets even start 20% off there. Just shows that your average retailer understands what people are willing to pay for something more than Lego does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brickvoyeur said:

Standard practice these days. Nearly everything hits 20% off at Walmart/Amazon pretty quick after release. Many sets even start 20% off there. Just shows that your average retailer understands what people are willing to pay for something more than Lego does.

I agree.  Nearly everything goes 20% off unless it's selling really really well. 

Makes me wonder if LEGO jacked the prices up 20% so they keep their profit margins.  Everyone wins - LEGO gets the price they really want; Target, Walmart, et al, put sets on sale drawing customers to their stores; the consumers think they're getting a deal because it's on sale.  It's all just a game... 

Except the LEGO purists who go directly to LEGO where things rarely go on sale unless it's dead or a real turd.  It's a shame LEGO doesn't at least up the VIP pts to 10% instead of 5% or whatever they're now at.

I know this isn't as exciting as bigger sets, but are the Green (10700) and Blue (10714) baseplates retiring? I know a couple years ago they retired the sand baseplate (10699) after it was on clearance for 50% off everywhere. And now, Green & Blue are on sale everywhere for 50% off. Seems like a similar pattern.

Thoughts?