Retiring Soon - open speculation

5 hours ago, Brystheguy said:

Ninjago City temporarily OOS on Amazon.

Last month I ordered 2x 70620 at Amazon Spain (209 euro each). Should ship latest end September, but they emailed me that they will not receive new stock and had to cancel the order - it's done...

1 hour ago, OrangeChiliPeP said:

Personally I assume all that information comes from a normal dealer / trader catalog. These catalogs never show exclusive or d2c sets because normal dealers are not allowed to order them. 

In Netherlands/Belgium multiple retailers had it on sale with 25-30% off. I can name 5-6 that had it, most sold out. 1 normally takes backorders, but not for this set. Guess rumors are true.

Last month I ordered 2x 70620 at Amazon Spain (209 euro each). Should ship latest end September, but they emailed me that they will not receive new stock and had to cancel the order - it's done...
In the UK still in stock at a number of Smyths stores and in-store promo gets you £50 off a £250 spend until the 29th.

It's a nice set so might get one for a personal build but I'm no longer going for large sets. Too much hassle.

26 minutes ago, thebrickdad said:

It's a nice set so might get one for a personal build but I'm no longer going for large sets. Too much hassle.

Few years ago I bought some large (Star Wars) sets: Ewok Village and UCS Sandcrawler. Now, 2¾ years after their retirement, I still have them in my storage.

I won't put my money into such big large expensive sets anymore. Taking up too much storage space and taking too long to appreciate enough to be worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebrickdad said:

In the UK still in stock at a number of Smyths stores and in-store promo gets you £50 off a £250 spend until the 29th.

i think @ £200 its a safe buy. maybe i'm wrong. even if you had to dump it, you would get your money back, blimy used are going for 180£ ish

2 hours ago, HandyHand said:

Few years ago I bought some large (Star Wars) sets: Ewok Village and UCS Sandcrawler. Now, 2¾ years after their retirement, I still have them in my storage.

I won't put my money into such big large expensive sets anymore. Taking up too much storage space and taking too long to appreciate enough to be worth it.

There are still large sets worth investing in. Just make sure they don't say Star Wars on the box...

1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

I don't know been some pretty good ones the last 2 years

Yup I am very happy with DO & OFS. Walmart slashed those near the end and they have doubled the sale buy in. Same with BB. 

Hard part now is picking the right ones. Used to be easy. I'm passing on these large ninjago city sets. I did load up on Destinys Bounty. 

Edited by marcandre

12 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

The LEGO investing business is a lot easier in the US, people there seem to buy anything that is EOL. In Europe you can delete everything Super Heroes (and Simpsons) from your list. So, the real investing experts are the European guys: Much more wrong buying choices, fewer discounts and less profit to be made.

SH are not so negatives...Simpson very weak

in addition, in each country every theme has different success...only Harry Potter likes everybody everywhere

2 hours ago, exracer327 said:

What about minecraft sets?  I've never really gotten into those but I've heard a few people say they are good after EOL.  Is that true everywhere or only USA again?

The 2 large Minecraft sets were winners but we are also going a bit off topic.

I wonder if we get any short run Minecraft sets this year.

7 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

The LEGO investing business is a lot easier in the US, people there seem to buy anything that is EOL. In Europe you can delete everything Super Heroes (and Simpsons) from your list. So, the real investing experts are the European guys: Much more wrong buying choices, fewer discounts and less profit to be made.

basically, the question is, how many sets (in percentage) gets the TLG sold at FULL RRP price - be it in US or EU.. does anybody venture a quess? 

3 new Ideas sets announced today included 2 larger playsets... Not sure whether this represents an increase the number of IDEAS offerings available going forward split between small sets and playsets.  OFS and Treehouse sets seem in-line with these larger playsets, but hard to peg what retires given there are no playsets to replace per se... Here are the 5 oldest still selling:

6/2017 - Apollo Saturn V

2/2018 - Ship In a Bottle

4/2018 - Tron

8/2018 - Voltron

11/2018- Pop-up Book

Can't figure logic of pulling Saturn 5 in 50th anniversary year, but I long ago gave up guessing the hive mind that is TLG.