Retiring Soon - open speculation

19 minutes ago, skinsfan0521 said:

I know this isn't as exciting as bigger sets, but are the Green (10700) and Blue (10714) baseplates retiring? I know a couple years ago they retired the sand baseplate (10699) after it was on clearance for 50% off everywhere. And now, Green & Blue are on sale everywhere for 50% off. Seems like a similar pattern.

Thoughts?

msrp is $7.99 so $4.99 is not 50% off - 38% off.  amazon has the msrp jacked to $9.99.

if they are retiring it is a good investment.  if they aren't retiring u sent ur money on vacation for nothing and won't be able to put that money to work buying actual retiring sets.

3 minutes ago, cladner said:

msrp is $7.99 so $4.99 is not 50% off - 38% off.  amazon has the msrp jacked to $9.99.

if they are retiring it is a good investment.  if they aren't retiring u sent ur money on vacation for nothing and won't be able to put that money to work buying actual retiring sets.

Good point on the MSRP. I didn't look it up and was just going off of what Amazon had listed. Thanks.

Completely agree that if they're not retiring, they're a terrible buy... which is why I was asking the question. ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, skinsfan0521 said:

I know this isn't as exciting as bigger sets, but are the Green (10700) and Blue (10714) baseplates retiring? I know a couple years ago they retired the sand baseplate (10699) after it was on clearance for 50% off everywhere. And now, Green & Blue are on sale everywhere for 50% off. Seems like a similar pattern.

Thoughts?

TLG retiring "the" green baseplate sounds as likely as TLG retiring the 2x4 brick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frank Brickowski said:

TLG retiring "the" green baseplate sounds as likely as TLG retiring the 2x4 brick.

Agreed. But why would they ever retire any baseplate?? The whole concept of ever retiring any color of baseplate is completely ridiculous to me. But, they did it with 10699 and that turned into a winner.

Just now, Frank Brickowski said:

they just bring out a new shade of green.

the blue baseplate has been oos in australia shop at home for over a month but no other signs of EOL.

personally i would not put money in baseplates without solid info - i have not heard any rumors of baseplates going.

if i had to guess which baseplate would go i would guess it would be the larger grey one - amazon has run out of of stock of that several times in the last 6 months but always restocked.  that has been in the past a decent sign of eol but not so much lately.

2 minutes ago, cladner said:

if i had to guess which baseplate would go i would guess it would be the larger grey one - amazon has run out of of stock of that several times in the last 6 months but always restocked.  that has been in the past a decent sign of eol but not so much lately.

That seems just as unlikely as green. Giant grey baseplate has been around FOREVER. I always had one growing up that some Aunt bought for us in Europe. 

Agreed. But why would they ever retire any baseplate?? The whole concept of ever retiring any color of baseplate is completely ridiculous to me. But, they did it with 10699 and that turned into a winner.
There was about a year where the Blue Baseplate was unavailable from LEGO back in 2015-2016 I believe. Only way to get it was via an Education Baseplate pack. And as already mentioned, the green Baseplate went from regular green to bright green at some point a while back as well.

Plus, there are other Baseplate colors that are or have been available via LEGO Bricks & Pieces but never standalone, like the Reddish Brown Baseplate Jang uses in his railyard.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

There was about a year where the Blue Baseplate was unavailable from LEGO back in 2015-2016 I believe. Only way to get it was via an Education Baseplate pack. And as already mentioned, the green Baseplate went from regular green to bright green at some point a while back as well.

Plus, there are other Baseplate colors that are or have been available via LEGO Bricks & Pieces but never standalone, like the Reddish Brown Baseplate Jang uses in his railyard.

AFAIK the last baseplate that retired completely was the 10699 sand/tan baseplate.
Green underwent a color change an became bright green instead of classic green.

1 hour ago, Infiltrator said:

AFAIK the last baseplate that retired completely was the 10699 sand/tan baseplate.
Green underwent a color change an became bright green instead of classic green.

Perusing some forums I read very unconfirmed rumors white base plates are coming back.

44 minutes ago, ZULU said:

Bugatti is bye bye

say it isn't so?

I've been on the fence w/ this one for better part of a year...I know it's supposed to be an upgrade to the orange Porsche, but a super car that most won't ever even see on the road as a subject matter and the higher price point had me reluctant.  Anyway if price drops 35%, I may pull the trigger...but I probably won't miss it too much...I'm sure the next top of the line Technic sports car will have me drooling and forgetting the Bugatti 

46 minutes ago, Yellow Castle said:

Why is Bugatti not worth buying?

Probably personal taste, but I honestly think it’s the ugliest hypercar of all time, a UGoat if you will!

definitely a niche market for the set. The actual car is simply bragging rights for those that own one

I predict the aftermarket will price it at 2x rrp and sit on it for a longtime 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

say it isn't so?

I've been on the fence w/ this one for better part of a year...I know it's supposed to be an upgrade to the orange Porsche, but a super car that most won't ever even see on the road as a subject matter and the higher price point had me reluctant.  Anyway if price drops 35%, I may pull the trigger...but I probably won't miss it too much...I'm sure the next top of the line Technic sports car will have me drooling and forgetting the Bugatti 

How about 20% ?

• Sad 1

We are talking about this bugatti, right? https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/bugatti-chiron-42083 Because when I checked this link, LEGO was showing still available. Is 75192 UCS MF going this year? It has been 2 years, but possibly LEGO overproduced this after the initial wave and they dare not put it on sale so they are waiting for stock to run out on its 3rd year maybe?

18 minutes ago, Saruman said:

We are talking about this bugatti, right? https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/bugatti-chiron-42083 Because when I checked this link, LEGO was showing still available. Is 75192 UCS MF going this year? It has been 2 years, but possibly LEGO overproduced this after the initial wave and they dare not put it on sale so they are waiting for stock to run out on its 3rd year maybe?

I think the speculation is that it will retire after the holiday, not that it is done right now. It has had some sales already, being on Wood for 225ish a few months back. So it wouldn't surprise me to see it go on a holiday discount and have stock dwindle sometime in January. This is obviously assuming that they are done producing them. I personally have 1 for personal build and another to sell eventually, and would love it to retire. Bring on another one next year though. I have already built the Porsche, and it is an incredible build.

6 hours ago, Val-E said:

AFAIK neither UCS MF nor Chiron are retiring soon. There is a new supercar next summer and no way is the Falcon done yet, it´s a cash cow.

Neither are in the latest consumer catalog. Many current large sets also conspicuously absent. As well as pretty much the entire list provided by our confidential informer a while back

8 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

Neither are in the latest consumer catalog. Many current large sets also conspicuously absent. As well as pretty much the entire list provided by our confidential informer a while back

could it be that they are so expensive (different) from the rest that only a few chains / supermarkets actually sell them? Thus LEGO chose the way to promote in the catalogue those sets that are generally available everywhere..  it was the same all these years back when the "largest" city sets were also not included in the catalogue since they were so large and expensive that only a handful of the mechants would stock them and offer for sale.

Edited by crayxlp
  • Like 1

You can't show off the brand new regular scale millennium falcon in the catalog and then put it to shame with the UCS version, that doesn't work well and there is also the new UCS Star Destroyer to show off. Lots of technic cars in the catalog as well and the new excavator. There's never room for everything and you've got to show off your latest wares most importantly.

• Like 1

Re: the five Star Wars 20th Anniversary sets

According to prognostications on this thread several of these sets are potentially retiring this year... How much interest is there among SW and/or minifig-collecting AFOLs in this set of 5 + At-At Hoth & now Endor 20th Anniversary microbuild giveaway sets?

Edited by beatpoppa