Retiring Soon - open speculation

15 minutes ago, beatpoppa said:

How much interest is there among SW and/or minifig-collecting AFOLs in this set of 5 + At-At Hoth & now Endor 20th Anniversary microbuild giveaway sets?

Speaking for myself, I Bought a pod racer and snow speeder but not because of the minifigs, Was because I missed pod racer first time and wanted another Snowspeeder. The anniversary minifigs won't be as sought after as the originals obviously. The mini builds are Looking better all the time. Hopeful they bring on a few More.

• Thanks 1

Re: the five Star Wars 20th Anniversary sets
According to prognostications on this thread several of these sets are potentially retiring this year... How much interest is there among SW and/or minifig-collecting AFOLs in this set of 5 + At-At Hoth & now Endor 20th Anniversary microbuild giveaway sets?

That would be an awfully short lifespan for such iconic sets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, redcell said:

That would be an awfully short lifespan for such iconic sets.

I thought the same thing when reading EMazer's Sep 10 post:

These is a smoke/fire component to part of these lists each year. It makes no sense to have a run life of <1yr on these sets... but the Lego hive mind is inscrutable.  

Food for thought.

37 minutes ago, skinsfan0521 said:

Is there any real chance that the Toy Story 4 or Spider-man Far From Home sets are retiring soon? Seems to be a lot of big discounts on those sets, but they just came out this year.

Toy Story 4 are essentially all Juniors sets. The last movie Juniors wave that I can remember was the Incredibles, which lasted 7-12 months before retirement according to Brickset. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see some of these die off by the end of the year, with a couple stragglers finishing off in early 2020.

On the other hand, the Juniors Jurassic World line has overstayed its welcome. But I foresee Toy Story following the Incredibles pattern.

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Val-E said:

The list was published 2 weeks ago.

There is no "the list". I hear different stuff all over.

75955 is going to retire, that's in no list, Brickmerge says it's going. They make no mistakes.

Who knows what else is going and what LEGO decides to keep.

"The list" is obvious stuff that is just logic. No one can imagine 75620 or 21313 lasting longer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

There is no "the list". I hear different stuff all over.

75955 is going to retire, that's in no list, Brickmerge says it's going. They make no mistakes.

Who knows what else is going and what LEGO decides to keep.

"The list" is obvious stuff that is just logic. No one can imagine 75620 or 21313 lasting longer. 

Hogwarts Express was going to retire this year but got extended till 2020 last news I heard.  Why retire a best seller with no remake incoming after only one Xmas?

22 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Seems illogical to me as well, but LEGO and LOGIC we're generally never 2 words I used in one sentence. We'll see what happens!

Ya'll act like the #1 toymaker in the world doesn't have some logic to their madness. Do you think they just stumbled into their position? Just because you don't understand something does not make it illogical. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bmoG said:

Ya'll act like the #1 toymaker in the world doesn't have some logic to their madness. Do you think they just stumbled into their position? Just because you don't understand something does not make it illogical. 

lol.  where's the logic retiring raptor escape 75920 after a 2 month run  i mean it was logical that i made a ton of money off the set when the obvious shortage resulting by truncated inadequate production for a key set from a blockbuster motion picture - who would've thought that might have been popular.  lets just make this set here for TWO MONTHS.  quite logical i suppose. 

TLG  is a privately held company meaning there is no pressure on TLG to make money to a greater extent than previously .  there are zero share holders to answer to.  just rich family members who were born rich.  sooner then later Disney will buy TLG and then all reselling will be punishable by death . 

RETIRING CONTENT:  My First Celebration 10862 is sold out.  Can't wait for these to sell for $49.99.  on sale for weeks at bn.com for $7.50.  

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

There could be many reasons to stop production like that. Contract dispute, a broken raptor mold...
Yes, it seems illogical to us that lego would go through the difficulty of producing a new set, just to stop production two months after release. So there must be a logical reason why.
Lego is dumb, is not a logical reason.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, redcell said:

People often don't realize that when you put a lot of smart people together in a corporation, you often get some profoundly stupid and illogical decisions being made

I don't doubt that. But based on lego's current position as the largest toy company in the world I would say that the vast majority of their decisions are logical and have compounded to make them the champions. Many of their decisions would not make any sense to an outsider, but if you heard the internal decision making process and saw the results based on those calculations than perhaps they would make more sense. Even then, everyone is going to make mistakes now and then, but to say that logic and lego don't go together totally overlooks their market postion; obviously they get it right far more often than they get it wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donbee said:

There could be many reasons to stop production like that. Contract dispute, a broken raptor mold...
Yes, it seems illogical to us that lego would go through the difficulty of producing a new set, just to stop production two months after release. So there must be a logical reason why.
Lego is dumb, is not a logical reason.

raptor set was onsale and in production for 6 months in the rest of the world  after north america eol so it wasn't a broken mold.  i don't mind - that was an investment lay up.  These kind of illogical one offs and surprise retirements are what keep things interesting.  

yeah lets have a limited edition 5000 brickheadz that we won't publicize and only offer online at walmart and target and no where else in the world because no one would ever buy those :)  thanks again TLG for money in my pocket.

i never said lego was dumb.  just that the business decisions often seem to be counterproductive to maximizing their profit.     those same decisions often help me maximize my profit so I am happy with the status quo.

• Like 3

Originally the summer wave Potter sets were on a 1.5 year run but I think TLG saw the sales data from that first Xmas and decided to extend them all another year. If they have gone back on that decision, it´s new to me. I think it´s only the 2 Wizarding World sets that are done this year.

Another point is how many they have made for this Xmas and whether there s any flip potential like last year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redcell said:

People often don't realize that when you put a lot of smart people together in a corporation, you often get some profoundly stupid and illogical decisions being made

Group Think is real no matter how smart the individuals...actually the smartest individuals typically don't play well with others so it's often a detriment.

My pearl of wisdom from 45 years on this planet on this topic:

as the number of Girls/Women increase in a group...the louder the group seems gets

as the number of boys/men increase in a group...the dumber the group seems to get

One thing to remember s sets like RE were store exclusives and they only tend to produce specific number - in fact usually an over production for TRU.

Retiring HH before Halloween, TH out of turn, Dragon Sanctuary after 6 months when you needed the sanctuary to put all the dragons from the other set are some recent illogical ones that spring to mind. Brickheadz were a law unto themselves with Skellington practically retiring on release and Mickey and Minnie constantly OOS.

The Harry Potter train is neither a D2C nor a poor seller so I am pretty sure it won´t retire this year. It´s an excellent price point as a Xmas gift and won´t be a typical instant remake/rehash Falcon hatchet job.

• Like 1