Retiring Soon - open speculation

The mixer is very cool. Unloading the elements of the "carnival ride" from the truck and then construct it is pretty cool. Now we just need a caterpillar kiddie roller coaster to go with it.

And with Lego minifigs, it's really easy to include a decapitated person or two to make your "Terrible Carnival Accident" diorama really come alive (come dead?). 

• Like 3

I know it has been partially mentioned, in the SSD thread, but I thought I'd give more detail than has been shared.

For all those who have been counting on retiring of the SSD or hoping for the DS to retire -

Page 1, 2 and 3 of the Summer Catalog is full page color spreads of the new Sandcrawler.

Page 4 - Top 2/3 of page is the SSD in beautiful full color background with the Grey ship (and if we note what someone said about Rev 5 of the boxes) while I bought some and want it to, I think it is not going anywhere any time soon.  Long term still great investment.

Page 5 - Top 2/3 of page is the DS in beautiful full color background with the grey Death Star.

Page 6 - Half page Red X Wing UCS, Quarter Page R2 D2

I do notice the AT TE is not shown.

Also noticeable is:

0 Hobbit items showing

0 LOTR items showing

0 Iron Man showing

No Bat Cave and No Daily Bugle Showdown (or whatever its official title is)

No Grand Emporium and as previously mentioned No Sopwith Camel

Yes VW T1 showing

If I missed a photo on one please let me know.

They have so many themes now though they can't list everything of any theme it seems as if they expanded the catalog size it would add to much overhead cost.

This with the Amazon sales makes me think (pure speculation):

- Most LOTR and Hobbit Movie 1 sets are on the way out now

- SSD/DS around until at least end of year

- GE is going but who knows when

- Sopwith is gone sooner than others (going to buy my 4 soon)

- VW T1 around until at least end of year

I find it interesting that the Brick Show (which I love) had the confirmation on the SSD being gone but this thing gets a 2/3 page fill up on page 4 of the catalog.

Printing and marketing costs too much to fill page 4 with the clearance set for the purpose of clearance without saying it.  Combined with Rev 5, I think its on its way back for a while.  The new Movie I believe will want all new branding on all new Movie related boxes so I do not believe they are keeping it around for it as a centerpiece of the new Movie sets.

That's my theorization or the day. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to notate all this. It's basically an abstract. Nice

I know it has been partially mentioned, in the SSD thread, but I thought I'd give more detail than has been shared.

For all those who have been counting on retiring of the SSD or hoping for the DS to retire -

Page 1, 2 and 3 of the Summer Catalog is full page color spreads of the new Sandcrawler.

Page 4 - Top 2/3 of page is the SSD in beautiful full color background with the Grey ship (and if we note what someone said about Rev 5 of the boxes) while I bought some and want it to, I think it is not going anywhere any time soon. Long term still great investment.

Page 5 - Top 2/3 of page is the DS in beautiful full color background with the grey Death Star.

Page 6 - Half page Red X Wing UCS, Quarter Page R2 D2

I do notice the AT TE is not shown.

Also noticeable is:

0 Hobbit items showing

0 LOTR items showing

0 Iron Man showing

No Bat Cave and No Daily Bugle Showdown (or whatever its official title is)

No Grand Emporium and as previously mentioned No Sopwith Camel

Yes VW T1 showing

If I missed a photo on one please let me know.

They have so many themes now though they can't list everything of any theme it seems as if they expanded the catalog size it would add to much overhead cost.

This with the Amazon sales makes me think (pure speculation):

- Most LOTR and Hobbit Movie 1 sets are on the way out now

- SSD/DS around until at least end of year

- GE is going but who knows when

- Sopwith is gone sooner than others (going to buy my 4 soon)

- VW T1 around until at least end of year

I find it interesting that the Brick Show (which I love) had the confirmation on the SSD being gone but this thing gets a 2/3 page fill up on page 4 of the catalog.

Printing and marketing costs too much to fill page 4 with the clearance set for the purpose of clearance without saying it. Combined with Rev 5, I think its on its way back for a while. The new Movie I believe will want all new branding on all new Movie related boxes so I do not believe they are keeping it around for it as a centerpiece of the new Movie sets.

• Like 2

Printing and marketing costs too much to fill page 4 with the clearance set for the purpose of clearance without saying it.  Combined with Rev 5, I think its on its way back for a while.  The new Movie I believe will want all new branding on all new Movie related boxes so I do not believe they are keeping it around for it as a centerpiece of the new Movie sets.

Maybe the SSD is unofficially retired and they are just trying to clear the remaining stock of the set. This has been theorized already, but it could be true. Thanks you for noting all these details regarding the new catalog.

Edit: 3300th post! :jig:

• Like 1

Maybe the SSD is unofficially retired and they are just trying to clear the remaining stock of the set. This has been theorized already, but it could be true. Thanks you for noting all these details regarding the new catalog.

Edit: 3300th post! :jig:

Congrats on your 3300th post!

Maybe they have as many warehouses full of the SSD as the Lone Ranger. :) LOL

Congrats on your 3300th post!

Maybe they have as many warehouses full of the SSD as the Lone Ranger. :) LOL

From my understanding Lego sells a lot of smaller sets compared to the larger sets, but what doesn't make sense why would there be SSD sitting in a warehouse? If the set is near retirement, I would think that the set would be sold out in various BP's houses waiting to be sold.

Brickfanatics.com thinks the $99 10226 Sopwith Cemel is done this summer. Now that I think about it, kinda makes since for the $120 10220 VW van stays around after the $99 Mini Cooper arrives. Although a great build and display, 10226 seems under appreciated.

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/more-rumors-on-the-ucs-sets/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+brickfanatics+%28Brick+Fanatics%29

• Like 1

Most sets do not retire in the summer IMO. Most retire in Nov/Dec and a smaller percentage in the March-May time frame. I think any set that is in stock in June will be in stock in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Agreed for 95% of the sets if that. I was thinking production might stop in the summer but it takes months for sets to sell and Lego get to the point of labeling it retired.

I believe the only sets lately to have been labeled retired during the early summer were LOTR Weathertop and Marvel Hulk plUs Capt America.

I don't recall 2011+ exclusive that retired during the summer? Do you?

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

The mixer is very cool. Unloading the elements of the "carnival ride" from the truck and then construct it is pretty cool. Now we just need a caterpillar kiddie roller coaster to go with it.

I'm thinking about modifying the Funhouse Escape set to be an actual non-batman themed funhouse and roller coaster to go with the mixer set.  Just need to get a hold of some more of those track pieces.

• Like 3