Retiring Soon - open speculation

Recently bought Pet Shop, GE and the Sopwith.  Was getting especially nervouse about the GE and had been putting it off.  May pick up another one. But the sets I don't have but am concerned might be EOL this year:

Arkham Asylum

Tower of Orthanc

VW

Batcave (really dislike this set though)

R2

Town Hall

The only sets I'd pick up now if you're worried are the VW and batcave, the rest will be around until next year at least.  R2 is iffy, but my gut says this one sticks around through the movie premier next year.

• Like 2

They are on to us!!!! That can be a interesting game changer down the line if it sticks

I agree completely, I think the jig is up.  I only wonder if this was focused on fixing it for Lego or fixing it for the millions of items they sell.  But I think it is done and over. It can only lead to more speculation and more of us having very good Win's and losses on snatching them near EOL.  Of course the old policy goes of, if it starts disappearing at any of the major retailers, and you really want it, get it early and don't cry later.  But it does take the fun of speculation out of it.

I will say for this retiring soon thread.  I am glad that 90% of what I will be investing in will be this year and early next year and then I am done (almost done at this point).  Outside of building with the kids I will not be investing in anything after those dates.  Time delay is too long fo all these current sets.  I may potentially invest more way down the road.  Outside of a few exclusives released in late 2012 and early to mid 2013.  I have a few concerns with over-saturation of sets.  Not by resellers but my Lego themselves.  They have a lot of product.  i will make an personal official decision once this year is over and we will know what is gone for good.

• Like 1

I will say for this retiring soon thread.  I am glad that 90% of what I will be investing in will be this year and early next year and then I am done (almost done at this point).  Outside of building with the kids I will not be investing in anything after those dates.  Time delay is too long fo all these current sets.  I may potentially invest more way down the road.  Outside of a few exclusives released in late 2012 and early to mid 2013.  I have a few concerns with over-saturation of sets.  Not by resellers but my Lego themselves.  They have a lot of product.  i will make an personal official decision once this year is over and we will know what is gone for good.

It makes all the sense in the world that Lego, upon seeing greater demand, produced more sets.  This not only increases revenue, but hurts resellers that they are trying to hurt.

Does Lego LEGO Shop at Home being sold out of the large pink brick 5560 and it being sold at half price mean that it is retired?

This set is definitely done. The "Boy" version is already retired and sold out, this is just a matter of waiting for existing product to disappear. To my knowledge the only major retailer that carries these is Target, and those are in store only. I think the new "Juniors" theme is going to supplant these.

Unfortunately, Amazon says they have 999 of these, but from reading from other posts, that may not be reliable. I bought a bunch, but seem to be having trouble unloading them. Maybe this is a Christmas only type of sale?

This set is definitely done. The "Boy" version is already retired and sold out, this is just a matter of waiting for existing product to disappear. To my knowledge the only major retailer that carries these is Target, and those are in store only. I think the new "Juniors" theme is going to supplant these.

Just got to wait it out. These are still avail from some small online only retailers, and Target still has them in store, etc. I am sure the "girl" versions of these sorts of things don't do as well as the more neutral colored "boy" ones, but those sell just fine when out of print. But yes, I think this set will sell better during Christmas and next year when the supply is diminished. If you paid the $15 stick em in a box and forget about em for 6 months :)

It makes all the sense in the world that Lego, upon seeing greater demand, produced more sets.  This not only increases revenue, but hurts resellers that they are trying to hurt.

Who cares if there are more sets on the market if the demand increases right along with it? Resellers are always moaning about how Lego is saturating the market, but they're forgetting that Lego has never been more popular. I don't give a squat if TLG doubles production as long as there are also twice as many buyers. These are the laws of "supply and demand" not just "supply".

(oops I clicked on "like this" instead of "quote")

If amazon changed the stock meter it means they read this forum as well.

I would bet that the multibillionaire amazon doesn't care about brickpicker forums and will certainly not change their website because of us... :)

Because of all of the investors (video games, albums, DVD collector's editions, etc.) i would say "maybe".

But not specially because of brickpicker.com and our lego purchases... these are like a drop in the bucket.

• Like 3

(oops I clicked on "like this" instead of "quote")

I would bet that the multibillionaire amazon doesn't care about brickpicker forums and will certainly not change their website because of us... :)

Because of all of the investors (video games, albums, DVD collector's editions, etc.) i would say "maybe".

But not specially because of brickpicker.com and our lego purchases... these are like a drop in the bucket.

"Never underestimate the power of the Brickpicker forum".

• Like 1

I hate to break it to many of you, but the ability to see how many sets Amazon had in inventory was always a worthless endeavor.  What many assumed was Amazon's inventory of a set probably had nothing to do with real stock numbers or future inventory if more shipments were on the way.  It makes for interesting discussion, but how many times has the 10188 Death Star gone down to zero in Amazon's history?  At least 3 or 4 times that I know of and the set is still going strong.  Judging EOL off of Amazon's inventory data is waste of time IMO.  You are better off using a Ouija board.

• Like 5

I hate to break it to many of you, but the ability to see how many sets Amazon had in inventory was always a worthless endeavor. What many assumed was Amazon's inventory of a set probably had nothing to do with real stock numbers or future inventory if more shipments were on the way. It makes for interesting discussion, but how many times has the 10188 Death Star gone down to zero in Amazon's history? At least 3 or 4 times that I know of and the set is still going strong. Judging EOL off of Amazon's inventory data is waste of time IMO. You are better off using a Ouija board.

Yup. It's more of just another gauge for spotting demand and seeing if sets are getting restocked quickly.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app