Retiring Soon - open speculation

U didnt miss anything. Unless you enjoy a false sense of excitement.

Well this time of year anything that sells out is automatically considered to be in its death throws according to BP members. If you can convince someone to sport a beanie and pronounce it dead on youtube it becomes gospel. Obviously the end of the year is when we need to pay attention. Maybe we should all shrink ourselves down to minfiig size and hop into a brick built carbon freezer and wake up then? I had a strange dream that this would be possible very soon.

Not sure where this end of year belief comes from.  Lego has been retiring sets all year so far.  The end of year will most likely see additional retirements.  Sold out status by itself means nothing.  Sold out status compiled with other relevent data and histories might start to paint a more clear picture.

Not sure where this end of year belief comes from.  Lego has been retiring sets all year so far.  The end of year will most likely see additional retirements.  Sold out status by itself means nothing.  Sold out status compiled with other relevent data and histories might start to paint a more clear picture.

That was my impression too. Lego might be slapping official "retired" at around end of year (or January), but sets could go to pre-death OOS at any particular time. And I wonder how Lego is going to handle summer city releases, trains for example... Will they run them side-by-side until end-of-year, or just do flash sale on older trains at some point (though other retailers would have to do the same)

I had a vivid dream last night in which I received simultaneous text messages from my contacts saying that several sets, including the GE, VW, and SC, had just retired. I saw the timestamps of the texts: May 28th.

Given the credibility of our other sources, I believe this dream is worthy of sharing. Ignore the vision at your own risk.

• Like 6

I am talking about exclusives. I forgot TLG produced other sets besides those :)

Well this time of year anything that sells out is automatically considered to be in its death throws according to BP members. If you can convince someone to sport a beanie and pronounce it dead on youtube it becomes gospel. Obviously the end of the year is when we need to pay attention. Maybe we should all shrink ourselves down to minfiig size and hop into a brick built carbon freezer and wake up then? I had a strange dream that this would be possible very soon.

Not always true.  According to Brickset, many of the most recent UCS sets retired in March or May, or at least enough to illustrate no definitive retirement  pattern for UCS sets:

10179  May 2010

10186  May 2009

10215  March 2012

10212  Dec 2012

10175  Feb 2009

10227  Nov 2013

10174  Mar 2009

While many sets do retire in the months of November or December because of the annual influx of new sets arriving at that time, occasional mid year releases do happen and may affect existing sets and their EOL dates.  Example: Maybe the recent release of the UCS Sandcrawler will cause another UCS set to be retired.  

Is the 10241 Triple-E going soon? 

Not sure about that but I do know that when I bought one during double vip it shipped out on May 2nd instead of the posted date of July6th. Thought that was strange, I really didn't want to have to pay for that one until a little later.

:thumbsup:

Guys I don't think the Finance executives for the Lego Group would keep their jobs long if they spend millions investment in creating 1 set such as the Triple E, having it sell so well it sells out constantly, and then discontinues it in its first year....not to be rude...but come on, use some logic here.

• Like 6

If this is true, why doesn't Lego just say that the set is retired? It seems like they wait a few months after the set is OOS and then they say it's retired.

Keep their options open perhaps? Maybe so that in the event another production run is made, they are bringing back a product from OOS or Sold Out status rather than a Retired status.

If this is true, why doesn't Lego just say that the set is retired? It seems like they wait a few months after the set is OOS and then they say it's retired.

They did move it to the last spot on the CUUSOO/Ideas page usually where items go when they are retiring

Keep their options open perhaps? Maybe so that in the event another production run is made, they are bringing back a product from OOS or Sold Out status rather than a Retired status.

I sometimes think that, but there are some particular cases where Lego could be 90% sure that they won't bring it back in to production.

Guys I don't think the Finance executives for the Lego Group would keep their jobs long if they spend millions investment in creating 1 set such as the Triple E, having it sell so well it sells out constantly, and then discontinues it in its first year....not to be rude...but come on, use some logic here.

It`s funny, people do this all the time with all kinds of sets. "Will ___ retire soon?". OOS does not equal EOL. Sometimes it does, but it`s not a consistent factor that you can point to. You`ve given a couple examples there, cost to produce/distribute and the short time frame. It`s ludicrous to speculate based on, well, pure speculation. Speculate on facts people, and try to consider the many, many factors that surround EOL dates and such. 

Anyway, regarding the Triple E, it`s in all likelihood sticking around until 2016 based on the average 2 year release period. Keep in mind that it is an exclusive creator set as well, meaning if previous sets are to be factored it, it could another year or two past that if not more. We don`t know, but it`s happening now, nor anytime soon. 

I believe 100% that the SSD is retiring,when well only Lego know, and maybe not to the end of the year, and me buying 40 of them well I

have great confidence on this. plus with the new Star Destroyer coming out why have 2 Star Destroyers out, but if anybody thinks it will still be out another year or so well thats up to you. and if it does hang around another year well I will get 5 more, Look for the last month the set has risen $100-250 over retail and a few sold for $675-699, so when everybody is sold out again and Lego has Sold out on there site well the price will rise faster than that. Ed