Retiring Soon - open speculation

I believe 100% that the SSD is retiring,when well only Lego know, and maybe not to the end of the year, and me buying 40 of them well Ihave great confidence on this. plus with the new Star Destroyer coming out why have 2 Star Destroyers out, but if anybody thinks it will still be out another year or so well thats up to you. and if it does hang around another year well I will get 5 more, Look for the last month the set has risen $100-250 over retail and a few sold for $675-699, so when everybody is sold out again and Lego has Sold out on there site well the price will rise faster than that. Ed

I am with you, it's just I wonder if Target is onto something. If SSD is still in, it makes absolutely no sense to raise the prices for those two sets, since that would slow down their sales given availability at SAH

In other words, I have not pulled the trigger on investing in sets like most people here do. Where you hold onto the set until after retirement then sell as MISB. Would the GE be a good place to start since it is perceived to be close to EOL. I would like to try my hand at this but I am not a High Roller which is why I stick to parting out sets on bricklink. Plus the GE is available on Lego Shop @ Home right now and with other retailers jacking up the price I think Lego Shop @ Home is my best bet for the best price. Thanks

In other words, I have not pulled the trigger on investing in sets like most people here do. Where you hold onto the set until after retirement then sell as MISB. Would the GE be a good place to start since it is perceived to be close to EOL. I would like to try my hand at this but I am not a High Roller which is why I stick to parting out sets on bricklink. Plus the GE is available on Lego Shop @ Home right now and with other retailers jacking up the price I think Lego Shop @ Home is my best bet for the best price. Thanks

LEGO Shop at Home is your best option , if you are buying less than 5 or 4 sets.......

• Like 1

It`s funny, people do this all the time with all kinds of sets. "Will ___ retire soon?". OOS does not equal EOL. Sometimes it does, but it`s not a consistent factor that you can point to. You`ve given a couple examples there, cost to produce/distribute and the short time frame. It`s ludicrous to speculate based on, well, pure speculation. Speculate on facts people, and try to consider the many, many factors that surround EOL dates and such. 

Anyway, regarding the Triple E, it`s in all likelihood sticking around until 2016 based on the average 2 year release period. Keep in mind that it is an exclusive creator set as well, meaning if previous sets are to be factored it, it could another year or two past that if not more. We don`t know, but it`s happening now, nor anytime soon. 

How Long did the previous Maersk ship last? 10155 came out in 2010. Was it only available for a limited time?

I have to admited, the Non US CAGR  (UK is 5%) of this ship puts me off buying any more of the current one unless it is discounted. Which, I think it unlikely.

The Maersk train seems to be doing a lot better. But again, how long was this set out for?

I have thought the same. Why pay full RRP at another retailer if you can get an effective 5% discount from LEGO Shop at Home. Of course this only works on sets, that are Hard to Find or Exclusive.

If you want an idea how the GE may perform at EOL, look at 10197 FB. There were a lots of threads on this set last year with many being very pessimistic about its EOL performance. But it has shot up in price. Not guaranteed of course but I suspect the GE will perform in a similar manner.

• Like 1

I have thought the same. Why pay full RRP at another retailer if you can get an effective 5% discount from LEGO Shop at Home. Of course this only works on sets, that are Hard to Find or Exclusive.

If you have a Red Card, Target's a better choice. You can return in-store, and you get the 5% discount immediately instead of credit towards a future purchase.

I am with you, it's just I wonder if Target is onto something. If SSD is still in, it makes absolutely no sense to raise the prices for those two sets, since that would slow down their sales given availability at SAH

except for all the people afraid to order SSD and GE at LEGO Shop at Home because they'll get banned if they order two of something.

so target makes money off of them and sometimes the boxes aren't as nice.

except for all the people afraid to order SSD and GE at LEGO Shop at Home because they'll get banned if they order two of something.

so target makes money off of them and sometimes the boxes aren't as nice.

If Target is thinking that far ahead, they would also know that all those people who afraid to buy at Lego SAH in multiples, are very unlikely to pay inflated prices for the sets that don't have EOL in very near future. Which implies that Target assumes that SSD and GE do have EOL in near future?

This is kindof an interesting take on the "under/over supply issue"

This job description includes "Adjust forecast levels to manage demand, mitigating supply problems that would result in low in-stocks, backorders or excessive inventories"

http://www.lego.com/en-us/jobs/jobdescriptionpage?title=Forecast+Manager+(Enfield%2c+CT)&id=51943515&cmp=SOC-INUS13OctOtherSocial

This is kindof an interesting take on the "under/over supply issue"

This job description includes "Adjust forecast levels to manage demand, mitigating supply problems that would result in low in-stocks, backorders or excessive inventories"

http://www.lego.com/en-us/jobs/jobdescriptionpage?title=Forecast+Manager+(Enfield%2c+CT)&id=51943515&cmp=SOC-INUS13OctOtherSocial

Oh, cool, you could actually "manage demand"... Wonder how that is going to work out for "no discount exclusives"...  Ah, right - you circulate rumors of imminent EOL on internets!

If Target is thinking that far ahead, they would also know that all those people who afraid to buy at Lego SAH in multiples, are very unlikely to pay inflated prices for the sets that don't have EOL in very near future. Which implies that Target assumes that SSD and GE do have EOL in near future?

Not true as TRU sold out after the price was increased to $550.00 as well as they were selling for that price on amazon and Ebay.    Retailers are getting it, money to be made here until it is gone.  TRU may have increased them all to mask the ones they really wanted to raise it on.  Who really knows but these huge companies contribute significant man power and resources to figuring out what will make a consumer buy from them.  The good news is that most people will not buy the GE and SSD, DS now that they are back in stock, as the sub conscious takes over and reinforces that you have time, no big deal.  I am glad these are back to top off my allocations.  The quick move up in price was a fantastic indicator of the opportunity.  Most folks won't drop this much money anyway, so it really reinforces that there will not be as many in inventories as people think.

• Like 1

Not true as TRU sold out after the price was increased to $550.00 as well as they were selling for that price on amazon and Ebay.    Retailers are getting it, money to be made here until it is gone.  TRU may have increased them all to mask the ones they really wanted to raise it on.  Who really knows but these huge companies contribute significant man power and resources to figuring out what will make a consumer buy from them.  The good news is that most people will not buy the GE and SSD, DS now that they are back in stock, as the sub conscious takes over and reinforces that you have time, no big deal.  I am glad these are back to top off my allocations.  The quick move up in price was a fantastic indicator of the opportunity.  Most folks won't drop this much money anyway, so it really reinforces that there will not be as many in inventories as people think.

I think TRU sold out at inflated price back then because it was the _only_ official retailer who had SSD at the time. 

Well, LEGO does have two X-Wings out right now, one UCS, one a normal playset, so I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of having both sets out at the same time. 

That is true, but the normal playset X-Wing should be retiring soon if the two-year pattern continues with this set.

I am not afraid of getting banned by Lego Shop@Home in the slightest. I don't make multiple orders for the same set or buy a ton from them. I am a very small fish. I did order two GE from them last night though. I get all my parting out sets from other retailers as the price point is usually much better.

Thanks again for all the input everyone has given me so far. I try to like all the posts that respond to me but if I didn't like your response then I just missed it and will get to you sooner than later. I sincerely appericate all the encouragement and information everyone has given.