Retiring Soon - open speculation

if the HH was officially considered part of the creator blg modular series and if it retired this yr, it would easily end up being the 2nd or 3rd most valuable set in theme.  too bad i don't live in a world of "IFs". 

i love the HH set (as both a collector and investor) but don't see if going over the $800 mark anytime soon.  i'll be thrilled if it hits $500 3-4 years after retirement.

We will see in time but I think your wrong and for both of us I hope your are. I doubt the creator badge is going to effect this set as a whole. It is easily adaptable to become a modular building. I don't think people buying care much what theme tag is on a set.

We will see in time but I think your wrong and for both of us I hope your are. I doubt the creator badge is going to effect this set as a whole. It is easily adaptable to become a modular building. I don't think people buying care much what theme tag is on a set.

Well it depends on who is buying but some certainly do. Its like wanting to own all the UCS star wars sets.

No chance IMO Haunted House gets to $800. Just don't think there will be that many sets in general that sniff that.

I mean only something like 15ish sets have hit that mark ever - and the haunted house is great, but we are in a different era of Lego investing.

Thanks for feedback guys. So IMO, I don't think Star Wars is my theme as far as collecting. I'll leave that theme to you guys lol. I love all dwellings (Bag End, Simpsons house, HH), all types of Creator and many LOTR sets. :smile: :grin: :twerk:

You said twerk.....lol

You said twerk.....lol

Haha! Game, thanks for noticing lol!!! I'm gonna try to get another balloon cart when I buy another T1 on Wednesday ;). Then, my major weekend spending for grand opening at Westfarns Mall.... Tower bridge virgin! Maybe r2 as well!!!

Haha! Game, thanks for noticing lol!!! I'm gonna try to get another balloon cart when I buy another T1 on Wednesday ;). Then, my major weekend spending for grand opening at Westfarns Mall.... Tower bridge virgin! Maybe r2 as well!!!

I don't know how I missed that, lol...... I also do not have a TB yet probably the only exclusive I've slept on so far...... My balloon cart & sopwith shipped today, finally.

I also think Anakin is an excellent name for a young Jedi. :thumbsup: .....My nephews name is Luke, he's 7 & if you ask him his last name, the little booger will say Skywalker ....Not Joking!

<------------- Happens to be an outstanding Twerker.... lol

Well it depends on who is buying but some certainly do. Its like wanting to own all the UCS star wars sets.

No chance IMO Haunted House gets to $800. Just don't think there will be that many sets in general that sniff that.

I mean only something like 15ish sets have hit that mark ever - and the haunted house is great, but we are in a different era of Lego investing.

You could be right but, of those 15 sets that have hit that mark, does the HH hold its own as far as build quality, displayability, size, & general appeal? IMO HH has all the right stuff to make it a contender.  It is at least as awesome as any town modular (having built 4 so far myself), and when you compare it to something like Cafe Corner, which has literally no details/playability inside, it blows that set out of the water.  How much does CC sell for today?

Let's fast forward 5 years, you're an AFOL who recently emerged from the dark ages, you want to collect old sets you missed out on.  you like the modulars.  you're deciding if it is worth it to spend $1000 on HH or CC.  Which are you going to pick?  Consider what you get for the $.  I'm going with the HH every single time.  Dunno about you guys.

Curious if others think this makes some sense as I am also just speculating.  

• Like 1

DJIM I agree with you. If I'm a late collector and want to collect modular town type buildings for my large display and I have a couple grand to blow on lego will I buy an $800- $1000 HH or want the cafe corner for 2 grand that has no detail. I think to many people are underplaying this set and not giving the full credit that its worth. This set has to much going for it if the name badge makes a set worth more money I can easily have a custom box made.

this will make it to $800 .  all the modulars will eventually too.

it just depends on how long you are willing to wait.

there will always be some demand.

the supply will go down.

the price will go up.

plus by then all the rounds of quantitative easing will catch up and US dollars will be worth a lot less so besides being brickin' cool,  legos bought now are good hedge against future inflation.

plastic gold.

I think that you guys are underestimating what effect the amount of investors have on the prices of sets moving forward from DEC 2011. Hey I agree that it would be awesome if the HH hit 800 but I don't think it's gonna happen. And this stuff about it will get there you just have to be willing to wait is misguided. All sets plateau eventually, they just don't continue to grow forever. If anyone is basing their guess of future worth on older modulars that is a waste of time. If I'm wrong I will be happy as I have some and I will sell them for 800 a pop.

I understand the large masses of new investors each year, but not everyone has the money to buy large sets and a lot of people haven't been buying haunted houses there missing out. This set isn't like FB or GE which has been out for 5 years to much time for investors to hoard loads of them. Its gona be harder to sell the sets people all have. Haunted House is lower on the pole

While I don't like to damper enthusiasm for certain sets, I agree with steven. Many investors are hoarding this set, and have been consistently for the past two years. The difference in the number of hoarders from when CC was out to now is significant, and HH is by no means under the radar. As an example, last year Amazon had a sale where HH were $135. Investors loaded up big time.

Completely agree that HH is really a high quality set. I've built one and I've got a couple stashed away too. If expectations are kept realistic for a return, hopefully they will be exceeded!

This set has not even been out for 2 years. 2017 would be a realistic retirement date.

except the rest of the series is done, and Lego isn't even carrying these in B&M stores, and don't expect them to return.  i would not be surprised if this set retires before the end of the year.  

as for most investors holding HH and that having an effect on price...will only apply for a 2 year period after retirement...from what i can tell, "most" investors don't have the capital or patience to see a maximum return on their sets and aren't holding for more than a year or two after retirement. 

except the rest of the series is done, and Lego isn't even carrying these in B&M stores, and don't expect them to return.

MMV or Joust anyone? LOL. Exclusives sell online, not in stores. Lego stores are for advertising, not to move product. Think of their B+M locations as a walk thru catalog and you will do much better.

You could be right but, of those 15 sets that have hit that mark, does the HH hold its own as far as build quality, displayability, size, & general appeal? IMO HH has all the right stuff to make it a contender.  It is at least as awesome as any town modular (having built 4 so far myself), and when you compare it to something like Cafe Corner, which has literally no details/playability inside, it blows that set out of the water.  How much does CC sell for today?

Let's fast forward 5 years, you're an AFOL who recently emerged from the dark ages, you want to collect old sets you missed out on.  you like the modulars.  you're deciding if it is worth it to spend $1000 on HH or CC.  Which are you going to pick?  Consider what you get for the $.  I'm going with the HH every single time.  Dunno about you guys.

Curious if others think this makes some sense as I am also just speculating.  

DJIM I agree with you. If I'm a late collector and want to collect modular town type buildings for my large display and I have a couple grand to blow on lego will I buy an $800- $1000 HH or want the cafe corner for 2 grand that has no detail. I think to many people are underplaying this set and not giving the full credit that its worth. This set has to much going for it if the name badge makes a set worth more money I can easily have a custom box made.

You all are both missing the biggest detractor. It literally doesn't make much of a difference how nice the set is. There are probably 50X more Haunted Houses out in the wild at least. Its about rarity. There will always be 10x more Haunted Houses for sale down the road then there were for the Cafe Corner at the same time.

More Supply = more competition and options = less price.

Look at the Fire Brigade where all these people were going crazy about it. Its already slowed down and its not even to $300 yet. You think its going to get to $800? Not a chance. And the Haunted House could be around even longer than it was.

There are many people that have large HH stashes trust me.

Yes - 100 stars for you. The main problem.

Emazers has over 70 of these.