Retiring Soon - open speculation

1 hour ago, red panda said:

I get the feeling Lego sales are down. I never thought I would see the day where they have to deep discount so many Star Wars products. Normally their deep sale items are stuff like ninjago water bottles, not flagship SW sets. Add to this inflation busting price increases and something feels up. Is the golden age over? hmm

Discount? What discount? I never saw one thing on sale at our LEGO Shop at Home.

2 hours ago, red panda said:

I get the feeling Lego sales are down. I never thought I would see the day where they have to deep discount so many Star Wars products. Normally their deep sale items are stuff like ninjago water bottles, not flagship SW sets. Add to this inflation busting price increases and something feels up. Is the golden age over? hmm

Maybe we have different definition of deep discounts but I haven't seen many of the flagship SW sets heavily discounted.

That was a pricing mistake but TRU here had it down to 105 euros because they considered it to be a Turd Fighter and did not want to stock it anymore. SAH had it marked down at CM too. Galería in Germany also had some deep discounts on this set, EV and Slave.

2 minutes ago, red panda said:

S&H have had 50% off on loads of SW. Resistance troop transporter, Vader tie vs a wing, flash speeder, first order snowspeeder, sith inflitrator etc etc etc

something is up this year.

It´s certainly not sales.

I guess they overproduced and the demand is not as high as it was during TFA mania.

With such different markets and interesting characters posting (I am looking at you val-e and tabby) would it make sense for a separate US retiring soon and a UK/Europe retiring soon thread? These posts seem less and less relevant to US brickpickers and many of the posts are negative in nature and bashing the Lego product. This site wants to promote the Lego brand in a positive way and having this distasteful criticism is not good for the readers or the site.

Edited by Brickshopper
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brickshopper said:

With such different markets and interesting characters posting (I am looking at you val-e and tabby) would it make sense for a separate US retiring soon and a UK/Europe retiring soon thread? These posts seem less and less relevant to US brickpickers and many of the posts are negative in nature and bashing the Lego product. This site wants to promote the Lego brand in a positive way and having this distasteful criticism is not good for the readers or the site. I come to this site and this thread for info on retiring products I am tired of reading the immature opinions of some very vocal members. It has gone on long enough!

One strong point of exception: In my limited years using this site I've come to find this board extremely valuable esp. because Europe retirements in my opinion have tended to foretell US EOL. If these boards were separate this international dialogue would be cut off.  Just my $.02

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Brickshopper said:

With such different markets and interesting characters posting (I am looking at you val-e and tabby) would it make sense for a separate US retiring soon and a UK/Europe retiring soon thread? These posts seem less and less relevant to US brickpickers and many of the posts are negative in nature and bashing the Lego product. This site wants to promote the Lego brand in a positive way and having this distasteful criticism is not good for the readers or the site.

Whether the news is positive or negative, it is always good to hear both sides of the coin. Sometimes sets retire early on this side of the pond so it is advantages IMO to have one thread and vice versa.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Brickshopper said:

I think you're missing the humor in Turd-E and TurdyBoy their comments. But as others have said, having one thread for all regions is beneficial for everybody since some sets retire in one region weeks or months before they retire in other regions.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Brickshopper said:

Agree on different threads, but I think you are confusing bashing with reasoned discusion and critical appraisal. For the UK at least, this is the first time I can remember 7-8 SW sets still not selling based on a direct 50% discount from Lego. That tells me they got demand badly wrong, it's not bashing, it's simple economics. 

if you believe in the power of LEGO and your own ability to sell , negative posts are meaningless and possibly helpful if they discourage future newb's from getting in da game. just grow an abs layer of skin and let the turds slide off your frictionless smooth coat.   as others have pointed out, europe retirements have been quite useful for directing capital allocation.  

in retiring soon news, i am wondering if minecraft skin pack 1 might be on the way out - back ordered for a few days now with shipping  by June 19.  was hoping to get these on sale before EOL.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, Brickshopper said:

It would make no sense whatsoever as retirements for many sets are usually so closely scheduled in both regions it is advantagous for the region that experiences the retirements after the other to be forewarned 

This post strikes me more as an effort at trying to shut down the everything-is-not-awesome banter that has developed as a result of LEGO's recent stratagies of ramping up production & prices and lazy remakes, which thwarts resellers' cozy plans. A prudish US cyber-wall to exclude outsiders in order to make Brickpicker great again, if you will. 

There is a clear difference between American and European culture in their sensitvity to negativity in general. A determination for everything to be able to turn out to be a winner if only steadfast super posititivey is employed isn't natural to the European psyche. A more blackish humour is the norm in general. The difference is usually very noticeable in comedy movies where the hapless main character suceeds with happy endings, whereas often the European movies the hapless protagonist remains in their hapless existence, serving as the butt of laughs.

This aversion to anything smelling of a negative attitude is commonly observed on this site. Positive forecasts of future performance of sets based usually on nothing more than wishful thinking are deluged with 'likes' from US members, whereas ones speculating everything might not be so rosy rarely receive anywhere near the same plaudits, even when couched in wit.

It's clear those 'bashing' LEGO love the product itself and the 'distasteful criticism' is merely ribald humour at LEGO's clear efforts to ignore AFOL's wishes and deliberate shift in policy to combat resellers. Appointing oneself as czar for what is and isn't good for the readers of this site is more distastful, IMO.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, cladner said:

if you believe in the power of LEGO and your own ability to sell , negative posts are meaningless and possibly helpful if they discourage future newb's from getting in da game. just grow an abs layer of skin and let the turds slide off your frictionless smooth coat.   as others have pointed out, europe retirements have been quite useful for directing capital allocation.  

in retiring soon news, i am wondering if minecraft skin pack 1 might be on the way out - back ordered for a few days now with shipping  by June 19.  was hoping to get these on sale before EOL.

Minecraft Skin pack has been call to check a few times, supposedly there was meant to be new skin packs and a crafting box coming out this year but nothing yet...

2 hours ago, Brickshopper said:

I of course can appreciate good ol fashioned complaining on an internet forum....However the word turd being used 50-100 times in 20 pages turd this turd fighter that etc is a bit excessive...I am not encouraging censorship lets just keep this thread and all threads clean and I just meant to say we could do without the repeated opinions and potty references of the most vocal contributors to this thread. I too like the advance notice of Euro retirements. I guess some see it as funny but I do not come here for this type of comedy/ criticism that is just my honest opinion I cant speak for other brickpickers or what is good for the site...I would be glad to not read the term turd-fighter again. Thanks for the discussion. now lets hear more about the ecto-1 retiring. This is big news or I am missing the negatives here as well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

Perhaps we could create a thread to discuss an alternative word to use instead of Turd. Maybe an entire thread for the use of the word 

I just got through selling a collection of retired Bionicles I got at 75% off and still struggled to turn a dollar.

In this instance , I think the term Turd is apt. Very apt. Lesson learned tho and we move on. :)