Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

Went by a WM couple of days ago that is a bit out of my way to check out their clearance stock. They had enough Mirkwood Spiders and Attack of the Wargs on their shelves for the coming apocalypse. Grabbed 2 Spiders and 1 Warg. May go back for more after the May the 4th weekend.

Personally, I never believed in the hobbit sets. I hate the movies and the sets just are not appealing to me. So I do not own a single one of them. I hope one day you all make me regret not buying them and you may all swim in profits. I rather invest in something else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

let them go, buy a GE.....

That's what my initial gut is telling me to do, but it's hard to pass on a set at 50% off from a popular license. I don't buy to flip, so I'd be holding for at least 2-3 years. Current eBay sold listings are rather weak. I'm wondering if this set could make it to $45-$50 or more in 2-3 years. That's where I would need it to be to make it worth my while.

I would not even buy them at 80% discount. I really do not believe in the hobbit sets. I hate the movies. I do not like the sets. I would not even want to make profits on these sets.

I hope for all of you who invested in them that I am wrong and that you may swim in profits. :money:  

I like some of the Hobbit/LOTR sets.....but if I'm spending a hundy eighty on LEGO.....I'm getting a big set like a Haunted House,Emporium or that ilk.  That being said, I'd farm those dozen.....a few here and a few there over a period of time....but I wouldn't lose any sleep if/when someone else gets them.

• Like 1

I came across at least a dozen mirk woods today at $15. I didn't bite. I already have three bought at that price from last summer. I am contemplating going back. Someone convince me, please.

....They have glow-in-dark pieces and spider nets good for Halloween decorations. :dontknow:

I came across at least a dozen mirk woods today at $15. I didn't bite. I already have three bought at that price from last summer. I am contemplating going back. Someone convince me, please.

Sweet deal, i would have bought them all.

I would not even buy them at 80% discount. I really do not believe in the hobbit sets. I hate the movies. I do not like the sets. I would not even want to make profits on these sets.

I hope for all of you who invested in them that I am wrong and that you may swim in profits. :money:

Well all of my LOTR and Hobbit sets have done exceptionally well so far, i look forward to the next few years as the rest of my collection retires and they all grow in value :twitch:

Honestly their value isnt dependent on whether YOU like the movies or books, its the millions or even billions of people all over the world who do love the stories and would like to have a LEGO set of their favorite parts of the story.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems TRU Germany is getting rid off all their LOTR inventory.

Online these sets are now marked as 'discontinued line', among with the Monster Fighters, and in my local TRU store afer a huge discount week there were long empty rows of shelves that had formerly been filled with these sets. 

I hope these are not the early signs of a premature end of LOTR.

I think the writing is on the wall for the future of Hobbit/LOTR. Many stores carry these lines sparingly or have clearanced them in favor of newer themes. LEGO has no LOTR sets planned for 2014 that we know about, just the final Hobbit wave later this year. They already released the Hobbit video game with no other installments expected. I think after the final Hobbit movie comes out in December we could see LEGO let the line die out in early 2015, but then again they could always surprise me.

I think the writing is on the wall for the future of Hobbit/LOTR. Many stores carry these lines sparingly or have clearanced them in favor of newer themes. LEGO has no LOTR sets planned for 2014 that we know about, just the final Hobbit wave later this year. They already released the Hobbit video game with no other installments expected. I think after the final Hobbit movie comes out in December we could see LEGO let the line die out in early 2015, but then again they could always surprise me.

Is it possible a big set of Hobbit theme?

Is it possible a big set of Hobbit theme?

The biggest will be:

79018 The Lonely Mountain

858 pieces, $129.99

Of course there's still a chance that we get a "special" set, that will survive to the theme (like the Haunted House for monster fighters, or the Joust for Kingdoms).

Anyone getting the idea that Lego really doesn't care about the fakes? It doesn't affect what they sell very much.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Lego might not care, but New Line Cinema should. The scam artists aren't paying royalties because they don't have a license to market these likenesses. I could see New Line going after eBay if eBay does nothing to police the fakes.

On topic, I agree HD is a clear winner. I think most sets will perform well EOL. I'm high on PSA and UG especially. I flipped most of my Shelob Attacks sets already for double my money after fees/shipping, that one will probably hit $40ish at Christmas so for those who bought in at $15ish that's easy money. I like MEA and MoM as well. Really no clear losers in this theme.

I think that Unexpected Gathering is a winner here.  It's both a classic set for both Lord of the Rings AND the Hobbit.  Plus, it really is a beautiful little set.  It's one of the few I actually have displayed at my house (my wife won't let me build anything really big).  It's not super-expensive, but it is just expensive enough that I think you'll get decent profit once it retires.  Plus, it comes with five important minifigs (no filler goblins, orcs, elves or anything you don't really care about).  Can't tell you how many people commented on the set when they came over.  After they said, "You're an adult and collect Leogs?" nonsense, then their comments actually turned into, "This is really awesome."  As far as other sets that are still retail or discount out there, I think Dol Guldur and Battle of the Black Gate have long-term potential as well.  but again, as many of you have stated, I think the reason Lord of the Rings has limited appeal is that it probably really is mostly adults/teens going after them.  Most young kids haven't seen the movies.  Even the Hobbit movie, in many ways, is more violent and brutal than Lord of the Rings.  So, little kids aren't asking for these for Christmas as much.  The only ones who will are kids who KNOW about Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit and just think that whatever set they get is cool.  I know my youngest son likes Star Wars sets for that very reason.  He hasn't seen any of the movies (yet) but he knows about Star Wars, and would rather have a Star Wars ship set than some generic Lego outer space set.  I  just have a feeling that, because the Lord of the Rings legos haven't been HUGE sellers, that could actually help their value long-term since they probably haven't made as many, and they're retiring more quickly.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I like them a lot, and I'm trying to get my hands on as many as I can at the right price. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

79004 has gone?

Here, it has been on sales on LEGO Shop at Home with 30% off. Now it's "Sold Out" ("Retiring soon" and "Please call" in the US)

It may come back (like the 79105 Baxter), but I would be surprised if it still is available in the next months (cool licenced set, and the third movie is coming).