Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

The movies would have been a lot better if they had cut all the unnecessary backstory, extra characters that weren't in the book, and other liberties taken.  PJ is trying to hard to make this a prequel and connect it to LotR when it's really it's own story and should be treated as such.  I kind of wish del Toro had directed the movies, I think they would have turned out better.

Having said that, the movies are still fun to watch for the spectacle of it.

Movies are meh.

Maybe the long versions will be more interesting.

If you want to wait to see all three movies, wait to the director's cut versions.

Director's cut would be better if they actually cut out an hour of each movie. I don't see extending it making it much better!

I have really enjoyed these movies, even having read the Hobbit book twice.  I know they have extended the original story and taken some liberties to bulk up the plot, but I have loved revisiting Middle Earth and find myself getting drawn into these movies.  I can't wait for the Battle of Five Armies and only wish there were more LOTR movies on the horizon from Peter Jackson.

• Like 2

My biggest gripe with the movies is that they don't seem to jibe QUITE as well with the OT as I'd like.  Goblins and Trolls talk,...Stone Giants......almost kind of like the Star Wars movies where the Prequels had more advanced stuff(ships, aliens, etc.) than the OT. 

I certainly don't mind Gandalfs concern with The Necromancer, his reasons for pushing the quest into motion, etc. etc.....it's all good connections to the OT.

• Like 1

I thought the first movie was good and the second picks up the story where they were left I guess, the first movie is very well titled as it basically a gathering then journey, I liked the chase given by azgog I think I'll like the second and third installments. I picked up some hobbit sets today, 3 x Guldur battles at 24.99 each from Asda and a elf army and guldur ambush as it connects to the bigger set, 14.99 and 9.99 from toysrus, I added a grievous wheel bike for 15.99 so I got free postage and the

My biggest gripe with the movies is that they don't seem to jibe QUITE as well with the OT as I'd like.  Goblins and Trolls talk,...Stone Giants......almost kind of like the Star Wars movies where the Prequels had more advanced stuff(ships, aliens, etc.) than the OT. 

I certainly don't mind Gandalfs concern with The Necromancer, his reasons for pushing the quest into motion, etc. etc.....it's all good connections to the OT.

The goblins and trolls talk in the books.  Also, the orcs talk in LotR's (they just aren't given many lines), and the cave trolls are a different beast than the trolls in the hobbit, so I'm ok with this.

It was explained to me by my high school history teacher (who was a big time star wars geek) that ancient rome was more technologically advanced than medieval europe after the empire fell, so the same could be said with the republic in star wars.  With the huge clone war and the empire taking over, technological advancements stopped or took a step back while the galaxy rebuilt.

• Like 1

I love the Hobbit movies, as they are very well made and fill in a lot of the little details and connections to the other stories of middle earth. I don't think any other book-to-movie series contains as much detail as PJ's LOTR and Hobbit movies.

If you're a big fan, definitely wait for the extended cut versions - not simply for additional footage, but for the "making of" documentaries...so fascinating.

I do kind of wish they made Hobbit first, then LOTR, because then the 'advanced' timeline wouldn't feel off (similar to Star Wars prequels feel more advanced than OT).

The motion-capture and digital stuff they do now is so life-like and incredible. Also, I was originally taken aback that they would split Hobbit into 3 movies - how is there enough material?!? But after seeing all the added details plus 45+ minutes of the "showdown with Smaug" I'm so glad there is a 3rd movie to look forward to!

• Like 1

I've noticed that some Lord of the Rings and Hobbit sets are disappearing from retailers here in the UK, this could be a strong sign that they are close to retirement. 

79008 LOTR Pirate Ship Ambush

79007 LOTR The Battle of Black Gate

79003 Hobbit An Unexpected Gathering

All out of stock at Amazon UK, Smyths, John Lewis, Argos, Toys R Us

Asda are currently knocking the Pirate Ship out at

I have a few of the TRU Lego gift cards and a few of the lego vouchers and the vouchers look like they cannot be stacked. I suppose we don't have to wait long to find out if that is actually the case but the offer does seem to have changed part way through.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker