Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

Guest TabbyBoy

This Lego investing game has more sides than some kind of dohecadedronoid, some sets are good quick flippers, some mid term, long term, fast sellers, steady appreciators, yo-yo's....

Did you know that a dodecahedron is comprised entirely of perfectly tessellating pentagons?

The more time goes on, the less faith I have in these 2 themes. Even months after EOL, prices are struggling to get even close to RRP. Out of both themes I think Tower of Orthanc is the only one worth getting, Helm's Deep, Orc Forge & Weathertop have been very disappointing. StarWars is timeless but, LOTR will soon be forgotten.

I'd completely disagree with this, so far the retired LOTR's sets have done very well in my opinion. Helms deep already

• Like 2

I know I've only been here a month or two but boy I am getting tired of people crying about their sets not increasing.  I mean I've been there.  Last week on impulse I picked up nine 6166 for $20 each and I don't have a bite yet.  Maybe I should have only got four instead of nine but I'll move forward and learn from it.  Before I learned of brickpicker I picked up quite a few 70808 at a good discount, then I found this site, sold half at a loss of about $3 each and took that money, bought exclusives, and never looked back.  As my First Sergeant in the Army used to say, if there's one thing I hate it's watching a grown man cry.  As for Helm's Deep, I don't own any but I'm about to.  Did some research, made some phone calls, and guess what, when I come back from some family business I'm going to pick up 3-5 and with at least a discount of 30% off.  I wasn't around here during the holidays but I'm hoping everybody bought these LOTR sets at deep discounts so even if you are having doubts, you can at least hock it on ebay and get your money back at MSRP.  Have confidence in your decision making and adjust fire if you need to.

• Like 2

The more time goes on, the less faith I have in these 2 themes. Even months after EOL, prices are struggling to get even close to RRP. Out of both themes I think Tower of Orthanc is the only one worth getting, Helm's Deep, Orc Forge & Weathertop have been very disappointing. StarWars is timeless but, LOTR will soon be forgotten.

I still have faith... I know there are diehard LOTR fans. But it is disappointing that the retired sets aren't taking off big time....

--------------------

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/mo-state-bricks

I think this might be the canary in the coal mine, so to speak - the first waves were still around at retail (for sure online) long after the USA Today article and I think are a key indicator of what post EOL themes might be like in the future (unless they are less than 18 months at retail).  Since so many got in so low (well below MSRP) I'm not actually that shocked they haven't skyrocketed yet.  I still think growth will be decent by Oct. - Nov. this year, but not like the growth we've seen with past sets/themes.

I really don't understand comments like these.  I can still find wave 1 LOTR at stores.   I was just at TRU today and they were 5 deep in Mines of Moria (granted, at $99 TRU markup, but still).  I was at a TRU last week that had 2 HD sitting on the shelf.  I just bought 3 Weathertop sets at Kmart clearance a few weeks ago.  These sets just retired, there is still stock out in the wild.  Give it time.  Everyone for some reason thinks they will make instant money the moment that "retired" tag hits on lego.com. 

It seems like it's a rare occurance for a set to skyrocket once retired.  It happens a few times with sets like cafe corner, zombies, etc, but that's not the norm.

LOTR is a great theme, well known and well loved.  New AFOLs come into the market every day, and they will be looking for classics like LOTR.

• Like 2

I really don't understand comments like these.  I can still find wave 1 LOTR at stores.   I was just at TRU today and they were 5 deep in Mines of Moria (granted, at $99 TRU markup, but still).  I was at a TRU last week that had 2 HD sitting on the shelf.  I just bought 3 Weathertop sets at Kmart clearance a few weeks ago.  These sets just retired, there is still stock out in the wild.  Give it time.  Everyone for some reason thinks they will make instant money the moment that "retired" tag hits on lego.com. 

It seems like it's a rare occurance for a set to skyrocket once retired.  It happens a few times with sets like cafe corner, zombies, etc, but that's not the norm.

LOTR is a great theme, well known and well loved.  New AFOLs come into the market every day, and they will be looking for classics like LOTR.

dang where do you live that you cant still find weathertop, mines of moria and other discounted LOTR sets, i havent seen any of these sets in my area since before Christmas. If i were you i wouldnt pass these up.

My absolute final view on these themes are once they are scare they reach high prices, the current problem is there is lots of availability, especially in the U.S and this is meant to reach high prices after eol, lots of the sets were retired months and months ago by Lego. I think maybe it show that lego is a kids toy and the themes like by kids aswell as afols are going to be better immeadiate sellers, the brickshow brothers said they thought These themes would be more popular with adults, and if you think about it the movies for LOTR were released years ago, maybe hobbit is more popular as it is more current. Afols can afford entire themes in one go if they so desire so after eol you could suggest the sets being sold are being bought by afols just getting into lego or kids that were collecting superheroes or star wars last year and want something different. It is annoying that John lewis still have over 800 goblins kings,compared to 150 Jabba palaces that were only retired at Christmas. It's like being at a market, you have 8 food vendors and seven of them are selling burgers and hotdogs and each one has a queue of 20 people, the other van is selling badger & squirrel pies and is not attracting many customers, moral of the story, sell what is popular and what eveyone wants, i dont mind waiting on my handful of lotr/hobbit sets, as other wise owl seasoned investors have said... Patience. Indiana jones sets, I'm not sure how they were doing shortly after eol, but I u understand they reach high prices now.

I think LOTR will pick up in 2015 :)

i expect all LOTR sets above retail by mid 2015....

And some doubling by then (Helm's Deep)

It takes time, sadly this forum and the LEGO investing community in general has been invaded investors seeking quick profits. They expect every set to perform like Zombie weeks after retirement, thats just not going to happen. Honestly im happy with 50-100% returns in a 1-2 year time period, thats MANY times better than any stock could do, and an insane amount compared to the 1% CDs banks are offering or the 4% i could save in interest by paying off my mortgage early.

• Like 2

It takes time, sadly this forum and the LEGO investing community in general has been invaded investors seeking quick profits. They expect every set to perform like Zombie weeks after retirement, thats just not going to happen. Honestly im happy with 50-100% returns in a 1-2 year time period, thats MANY times better than any stock could do, and an insane amount compared to the 1% CDs banks are offering or the 4% i could save in interest by paying off my mortgage early.

Exactly.... Well i am not worried.... for LOTR .... especially if we only get 2 waves..... now if 3rd wave comes this might cause appreciation to slower since Gondor will be wanted a tad more than Rohan i would assume (they do look cooler :P)

But 1st wave of LOTR will appreciate nicely in 2015..... But i doubt any set will surpass 150% retail(maybe Helm's Deep!)..... not like anything is wrong with that....

All shops in UK have been dumping these at 50% off.  Toys R Us, John Lewis, Argos etc.  Even sets that have been out less than a year.  Are they retiring the lines?  As I am quite new this is the first time I have seen a major sell off like this of one theme.  Is this just clearing the way for new waves or are they done for good?