Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

It is said that the 3rd hobbit movie is to be released 17th December 2014, so I expect new hobbit sets and a small gathering of LOTR sets.... The 50% off sale means maybe they are not selling that fast here in the u.k, but it's not that unusual... Tesco recent,y had a 50 % off sale in superheroes and other themes but picking were slimish and items went fast. Smythstoys have them all 50% off but they have no stock online for delivery, nor can they guarantee them being on the shelf in store for most sets. If you buy them, go for the big sets, like the one with smaug.

I just check, the black gate and guldur battle are available for delivery at 50% off, soothers will probably be available too. Decision time.... I think these 2 sets are worth it. Buti Haven't got money to spend right now. I wouldn't think they will still be available t 50 % again.

Hold them for a few years is the way to go, you could get more, part them out for a little work and the profit would see you getting the sets you keep cheaper, but should definitely keep hold off them, prices could well drop if they are reduced everywhere, so think before you open any boxes. I agree, the elf set is a lot of figs for 14.99

Typical, I just spent this months money on a GE instead. :(

When you say the stores, is that their online stores? I don't think I have seen any LOTR/Hobbit sets on the shelves at John Lewis since Christmas. TRU had loads though - at inflated prices.

They have several stores dotted around the country, check their website, delivery is free over 39 quid.

John Lewis tend to price match other competitors, if they're notified (though they only have the larger hobbit/LOTR sets on their website it seems so probably wont compete with these items the 790XX stuff. TRU and Argos are busy getting rid of these sets at 50%+ off. I noticed the items on the TRU website about 10 hours ago, and they're all but sold out/unavailable now.

Guest TabbyBoy

Typical, I just spent this months money on a GE instead. :(

When you say the stores, is that their online stores? I don't think I have seen any LOTR/Hobbit sets on the shelves at John Lewis since Christmas. TRU had loads though - at inflated prices.

I think you did the right thing.  LOTR/Hobbit must be poor sellers in the UK which may also mean that post EOL demand may be low too.  You just have to look at the poor performance of Orc Forge and Weathertop in the UK so far.  People call me impatient but the Hulk, Wolverine, etc. did very well even when still on the shelves!  My trigger price for LOTR/Hobbit is -75%, no more.

I think you did the right thing.  LOTR/Hobbit must be poor sellers in the UK which may also mean that post EOL demand may be low too.  You just have to look at the poor performance of Orc Forge and Weathertop in the UK so far.  People call me impatient but the Hulk, Wolverine, etc. did very well even when still on the shelves!  My trigger price for LOTR/Hobbit is -75%, no more.

I have never seen 75% off on LOTR/Hobbit sets. They make up over 50% of all the sets I have. HD is doing well, I think the market was flooded a bit with the smaller sets, maybe TLC overproduced. But I think there will be returns, eventually. 79003 I think will do well. If I can get them at below the BP price I am usually happy :)

Guest TabbyBoy

I have never seen 75% off on LOTR/Hobbit sets. They make up over 50% of all the sets I have. HD is doing well, I think the market was flooded a bit with the smaller sets, maybe TLC overproduced. But I think there will be returns, eventually. 79003 I think will do well. If I can get them at below the BP price I am usually happy :)

I'm only keeping my 3x Orthanc and 2x HD but, offloading the rest as soon as I clear some profit. My big local Tesco was selling Gandalf Arrives for

I was planning on getting another four Grand Emporiums but spent the money on LOTR and Hobbit sets instead. I picked up six Pirate Ship Ambushes, eleven Black Gates, three Unexpected Gatherings and four Barrel Escapes. But best of all is the 12 gift cards that will be stacked together to get a free Pet Shop or heavy discount off a Tower Bridge, plus the 12