Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

Me too. You guys make me jealous with all your Kmart deal talk.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

After all the talk here the other day, I found the K-Mart nearby my house and went to check it out. It made Roses look like Nordstrom and as far as Lego deals... It had none. I remember when K-Mart was a respectable department store.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I found some MoM on sale for 70 at a local store. It doesn't seem like this one has appreciated much since retirement. Is this a good price to grab them or are the discounted sets acquired by others going to keep the price down for a long while?

Ask Darin if he is going to sell anytime soon ;)

I remember when K-Mart was a respectable department store.

That's probably the saddest part. I can remember a time when growing up shopping at Kmart for many years besides places like Walmart. The store was clean and well organized with its great selection but then something must have changed some odd years ago causing the entire facility to make every surface feel dirty at the point where even a clean surface somehow had a spot of grime, variety in goods narrowed, and organizational skills were lost as store flow had no rhyme or reason whatsoever.

How are you people still finding LOTR in stores :P. Besides the smattering of the newest Smaug sets they are gone everywhere around me....

I can barely find Dol Guldur Ambush and Lake-Town Chase at my one Walmart with not a single Lord of the Rings anything at Target. After what had transpired last year with the short run Advent Calendars, I'm afraid The Desolation of Smaug sets could potentially be retired quicker than we would realistically believe them to be. I hope they do pop back up a little later in the year but then again there is a third wave of The Hobbit sets coming up just in time for the final part playing in theaters.

Just walked through a local WM and found 30 Riddles for the Ring for $7.00 ea. Not really sure about this set/price for investment.

i wouldnt bother, not that they are bads sets but there just never seems to be enough profit in the smaller sets. But then thats just my attitude, for some people as long as they can make a dollar they're happy, i personally am not going to bother investing in a set unless i think it will at least double and even then i typically dont mess with anything under $40-50. Why would I come home, and spend and hour filling ebay orders to make $5 when i can stay and extra hour and my job and make $30... :logik:

None of my local Wal-marts, Targets, or similiar stores carry any middle earth sets in my area. The only place to find them locally is the Lego store and TRU. Even after the last wave came out, I only saw them on shelves for a few months.

I really think I should pick up those urak-hai army sets at $30 but is that really low enough of a price to turn a profit? Right now I'm only seeing them on eBay for $35 - $50.

I was at TRU yesterday, and a Mines of Moria set was sitting there.  Wasn't there last week.  But the box is pretty mangled and crushed/ripped on two of the corners.  They're asking basically $95 for it, or something like that.  My question is, does TRU give any kind of discount for mangled boxes if you ask?  And if so, how far should they come down for me to make it worth it.  I hear such diverse opinions on this set anyway.

None of my local Wal-marts, Targets, or similiar stores carry any middle earth sets in my area. The only place to find them locally is the Lego store and TRU. Even after the last wave came out, I only saw them on shelves for a few months.

I really think I should pick up those urak-hai army sets at $30 but is that really low enough of a price to turn a profit? Right now I'm only seeing them on eBay for $35 - $50.

Turn a profit now? Probably not much of one. If you are looking to flip, not a good idea. If you are looking for a set people will find valuable one day, and you are willing to hold it for a year, it's a decent deal at MSRP

I was at TRU yesterday, and a Mines of Moria set was sitting there. Wasn't there last week. But the box is pretty mangled and crushed/ripped on two of the corners. They're asking basically $95 for it, or something like that. My question is, does TRU give any kind of discount for mangled boxes if you ask? And if so, how far should they come down for me to make it worth it. I hear such diverse opinions on this set anyway.

@ 95$ even with a discount I don't think you can make a good investment on the set unless you can somehow get a discount and stack it with some kind of a promo . TRU will give you a 10 -20% off for damaged boxes but it is up to manager or supervise discretion. Ymmv

Where are you finding uruk hai army sets for $30 at?

Where are you finding uruk hai army sets for $30 at?

Small local toy shop in my mall. Lots of sets overpriced even by TRU standards, but they had 4 of the army sets with a "sale price" of $29.99. I asked the guy if he would sell me all 4 for $100 and at first he said no because I was just going to re-sell them for more until I assured him with photos from my cell phone that I just wanted to build out my helms deep castle with a longer wall. Then he agreed.

Small local toy shop in my mall. Lots of sets overpriced even by TRU standards, but they had 4 of the army sets with a "sale price" of $29.99. I asked the guy if he would sell me all 4 for $100 and at first he said no because I was just going to re-sell them for more until I assured him with photos from my cell phone that I just wanted to build out my helms deep castle with a longer wall. Then he agreed.

Lol...what does it matter if you were going to resell them? Oh well glad you got a nice deal on them...I was able to pick up the last 4 at a tru near me with the recent 20off coupon and gc they can out to like $28 ea

Could you forwards me that photo? If that's what it takes.

I've noticed that some Lord of the Rings and Hobbit sets are disappearing from retailers here in the UK, this could be a strong sign that they are close to retirement. 

79008 LOTR Pirate Ship Ambush

79007 LOTR The Battle of Black Gate

79003 Hobbit An Unexpected Gathering

All out of stock at Amazon UK, Smyths, John Lewis, Argos, Toys R Us

Asda are currently knocking the Pirate Ship out at

Think you could well be right CB. Grabbed a couple of -50% sets in a TRU the other day but stock was getting very low if not gone (sets that were heavily discounted).

Still had stock of Goblin King though! That wasn't a surprise!