10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

Ha, I'm not building it or playing with it (okay, okay, secretly I consider my entire Lego business playing with toys, so I guess that's not ENTIRELY true) - I'm parting that baby out so fast it'll make heads roll and tables flip.

Is that going to be that profitable? It only has 2-3 exclusive figures if I remember, right?

Is that going to be that profitable? It only has 2-3 exclusive figures if I remember, right?

It is. It's amazing how even the non-exclusive figures will sell well if you put them on fixed price and just wait for the buyer to find them or the market to move to it. And I'm not afraid to mix, match, lot, whatever it ends up taking.

Selling books taught me to go for the slow dime rather than the fast nickel.

(For those who don't enjoy chortling over a sorting table, my method would, however, seem like madness.)

It is. It's amazing how even the non-exclusive figures will sell well if you put them on fixed price and just wait for the buyer to find them or the market to move to it. And I'm not afraid to mix, match, lot, whatever it ends up taking.

(For those who don't enjoy chortling over a sorting table, my method would, however, seem like madness.)

What sets have you been parting out right now? I have kind of wanted to start doing it more - mostly to get enough ebay listings to be a top rated seller. I have done the Spider Man Ock Set and Lukes Landspeeder. Are there other really good ones?

If you chortle to yourself while you sort Lego, that IS madness. Ha!

Anyway aren't you concerned about the price/piece? $240 for 1990 pcs seems like it would make for a tight margin.

I'm only buying them in September (and October if there's another good promo after the VW Van), so I have the VW Van, the exclusive minifig, and the VIP points to factor into the calculation, too.

We'll see - I'm definitely a beginner so I could be making a mistake, but I'm only buying a couple for now, so it makes it a small mistake if there is one. And I'm looking at other SW sets, too.

I'm planning to basically make two or three purchases per week through LEGO Shop at Home in Sept and October - because of the nature of the promos, a bunch of different SW sets for those two months, and not "too much" of any one set to keep me under the dreaded stinky reseller radar.

Will the Ewok Village really be in high demand?  I feel like a lot of people will be holding off on purchasing this set until it eventually goes on sale.

Also, any chance that a new set introduced in September will be heavily discounted in November during Black Friday?

Will the Ewok Village really be in high demand?  I feel like a lot of people will be holding off on purchasing this set until it eventually goes on sale.

Also, any chance that a new set introduced in September will be heavily discounted in November during Black Friday?

I do not think that the set will be heavily discounted on Black Friday. It was just released about two months before.

I don't see it happening. Think about the B-wing, the new X-wing, etc. I haven't even seen the X-wing in another store than Lego yet. There is a good chance Ewok Village may not be at other stores until after this all happens.

Its high but it has a crap load of minifigures and extras. I think it is worth it.

I bought one already so I better.

To be honest, the Ewok Village set needs more conflict.  Had it come with a Scout Walker or two, it would have been a fantastic set.  The Ewok haters would have had a reason to buy the set: so they could demolish the village and its inhabitants using the Scout Walker(s). :D :D :D

Also, the trap with 2 logs coming together does not make sense without a Scout Walker, IMO 

This set is pretty awesome. If kids get ahold of it, they're going to love it. I built it last night and I can see it being great for play. I wish there were more playsets like this in the LEGO Star Wars universe, but instead we just keep getting remade ships and walkers.

And there is the point I think a lot of people keep forgetting. The kids are gonna absolutely love this huge playset. I think way too many grown-ups are just Ewok hatin' to see the possible potential and shrug it off. This is definately one of the few more complete playsets out there.

Guest TabbyBoy

And there is the point I think a lot of people keep forgetting. The kids are gonna absolutely love this huge playset. I think way too many grown-ups are just Ewok hatin' to see the possible potential and shrug it off. This is definately one of the few more complete playsets out there.

This could be the "Dark Horse" that we wish we'd bought 2yrs down the road.  But, that doesn't mean I like the set myself.

Yup, I agree. Large play sets like the 10188 DS, 7879 Hoth Echo Base, and the Ewok Village will do really well. Why have the DS and Hoth Echo Base stayed around for so long? The kids love it, myself included. The high number of minifigures (main draw of a lot of kids I know), combined with the cool functions of the LEGO set makes it an eye catcher, and pretty high up on want lists. 

Plus, it is a pain for consumers to have to buy 2+ different sets to have a regular battle going, so with TLG combining everything together is genius, IMO. This is part of the reason why the "2-sided" SW battle packs were remotely successful.