The Lego Movie

Darth Lego

The Lego Movie  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you seen The Lego Movie?

• 6 - 9
    • 10+
    • Never
  2. 2. What is your favorite set?

• 70800 Getaway Glider
    • 70801 Melting Room
    • 70802 Bad Cop's Pursuit
    • 70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace
    • 70804 Ice Cream Machine
    • 70805 Trash Chomper
    • 70806 Castle Cavalry
    • 70807 Metalbeard's Duel
    • 70808 Super Cycle Chase
    • 70809 Lord Business' Evil Lair
    • 70810 Metalbeard's Sea Cow
    • 70811 The Flying Flusher
    • 70812 Creative Ambush
    • 70813 Rescue Reinforcements
    • 70814 Emmet's Construct-o-Mech
    • 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship
    • 70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!
    • 70817 Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack
    • 70818 Double-Decker Couch
    • 70819 Bad Cop Car Chase

The local Toys R Us told my wife tonight that they can barely keep up with demand for these Lego Movie sets. The LEGO Store employee mentioned a similar statement the other day. I am with most everyone here...waiting to see how the movie does. On the other hand, regardless of how the movie does, this may be the only time that sets based on a Lego movie will ever be done. So in five to ten years, these may be investment gold. The one year sets were made for a Lego movie. Yes, i agree that they are kind of wacky but that might just be their best selling point in the future. So this is a bit of a dilemma right now trying to decide whether to take the plunge or not. 

Unless the movie is insanely popular i wont be investing in these. Remember you invest in sets that ADULTS want to buy, not kids. Kids dont have $500 to drop on a rare retired lego set, adults with disposable income dont think twice about spending $500-1000 on sets like Market street or even more for the UCS millennium falcon. So unless it becomes obvious that this movie is going to be a cult classic amount AFOLs i wouldnt touch these sets for investment.

Yeah, it's not like Ninjago ever did anything.  What a worthless bunch of red boxes :P

These sets could be a "Flipper's Dream."  If this movie really takes off, people(parents) will be scrambling for these sets.  I am not one to promote flipping, but I think it would be prudent for many of you "flippers" to stock up on some of these sets now.  Many are 20% off on Amazon and TRU.   

Guest TabbyBoy

These sets could be a "Flipper's Dream."  If this movie really takes off, people(parents) will be scrambling for these sets.  I am not one to promote flipping, but I think it would be prudent for many of you "flippers" to stock up on some of these sets now.  Many are 20% off on Amazon and TRU.   

You could be right, I've just ordered the entire range from Amazon Italy.  If they do well, it's double-VIP next month I think.  The movie isn't open in the UK yet but, I'd like your feedback please if you've seen it.

You could be right, I've just ordered the entire range from Amazon Italy.  If they do well, it's double-VIP next month I think.  The movie isn't open in the UK yet but, I'd like your feedback please if you've seen it.

"Ask your kids for feedback" is the correct way to view this.  LOL.  The opinions of adults on this matter are not relative.  

You could be right, I've just ordered the entire range from Amazon Italy. If they do well, it's double-VIP next month I think. The movie isn't open in the UK yet but, I'd like your feedback please if you've seen it.

Kids really loved it at the advance screening I went to. A number of them were singing the opening song when leaving.

Ex astris, scientia.

Guest TabbyBoy

Kids really loved it at the advance screening I went to. A number of them were singing the opening song when leaving.

Ex astris, scientia.

I can get a "dodgy" copy right now but, out of principle and chance of going to jail, I'll have to wait another week before seeing it.  Well, it'll be the Saturday as I have the take her out for dinner on V Day.  I think this movie could be a game changer for us in a good way.

Ed Mack is correct of course. Anyone who doubts this line in the sort term will miss out. Serious flipping potential. Especially for the exclusive sets - Rescue Reinforcements, and the Plumbing set for example. I think they will have a hard time keeping these on the shelves, and once they sell out online, there will be a nice window for you short term flippers.

Long term I agree, not sure there will be explosive growth, but I would still bet on Benny's spaceship at the very least.

• Like 1

Well I took my own advice and grabbed three of the Rescue Reinforcements at TRU for $55. This one seems to be sold out there (and I believe that it is an exclusive). Actually looks pretty cool and I may want to build it myself! On a side note: I was reading that Fandango reported the second highest ticket presale in its history. Only behind Toy Story 3, ahead of Planes, Monsters University, and Despicable Me 2 (all of which were sequels...) This despite the weather on the East Coast possibly limiting movie going for the weekend. I know I am going on Sunday...if only I can make it that long not opening my new sets!!!

Put me on the record for saying Metal Beard`s ship will be a big time winner. It looks incredible, even from just the one image that has been circulating. Lego has never done anything like it, a Steampunk/Sci-fi/Pirate mash up ship that actually delivers on the premise. Ships do very well regardless, but something like this will no doubt be a massive hit to collectors and hobbyists especially. That is my guess for the biggest winner, assuming a 2 year retail life from release date. If it`s big enough and Lego for some reasons decides to make it the next live star, it will take more time, but it`s a superbly unique set and will make an excellent display piece for virtually every Lego fan who can afford one. As far as I`m concerned, the "Lego Movie" connection is just a bonus, it`s incredible (did I already say that?  :ahappy: ). 

The rest of the sets, ya well, pretty sure most everyone who`s been paying attention has caught on. These are going to be a hit and a planned sequel will help ensure that they do in the future. All of the sets are very different from Lego`s past items. They are fresh (for lack of a better word) and have a very wide appeal. Kudos to the designers one all of them IMHO  :thumbsup: Everybody stock up if you can land decent discounts, on any of the sets, you`re not going to be disappointed. 

I'm also all about the Sea Cow. But I think Benny's spaceship will be another big winner. Way too much awesome nostalgia built into this set!

Took my 2 sons + a friend to see it today....and let me just say that in regards to this movie: everything is AMAZING! **edit - I meant AWESOME! Haha

Seriously though - a very enjoyable movie for all ages and the LEGO creations are way cool! There's even an AFOL-related ending and many "guest appearances" ....even by the 7965 (Like Stephen said above).

I still don't know about the sets for investment, but I can see them being really popular with kids!

---Keep it secret. Keep it safe.---