The Lego Movie

Darth Lego

The Lego Movie  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you seen The Lego Movie?

• 6 - 9
    • 10+
    • Never
  2. 2. What is your favorite set?

• 70800 Getaway Glider
    • 70801 Melting Room
    • 70802 Bad Cop's Pursuit
    • 70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace
    • 70804 Ice Cream Machine
    • 70805 Trash Chomper
    • 70806 Castle Cavalry
    • 70807 Metalbeard's Duel
    • 70808 Super Cycle Chase
    • 70809 Lord Business' Evil Lair
    • 70810 Metalbeard's Sea Cow
    • 70811 The Flying Flusher
    • 70812 Creative Ambush
    • 70813 Rescue Reinforcements
    • 70814 Emmet's Construct-o-Mech
    • 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship
    • 70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!
    • 70817 Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack
    • 70818 Double-Decker Couch
    • 70819 Bad Cop Car Chase

We don't know yet as nobody has found any. It shouldn't be much longer before at least one is spotted.

Well, this just in. A new polybag has been spotted. It seems this is given out if you book tickets for The Lego Movie. :dontknow: (The Brick Fan)

11832526156_c3f0896422_o.jpg

Aside from his 'wink', all this uses is the Sleepyhead's torso and legs. I'm actually getting annoyed with all the little Emmet's out there. Jeeze.... :wacko:

Iv'e heard Odeon are giving away polly bags if you order your tickets online. I'll post information when I find out. Stomping

As the title implies, I waffle on whether to bother with these from an investment standpoint. I'm strictly an investor; I don't play/build my sets.  I have looked around the forums a little and have caught half conversations/opinions and I have read the article but I remain indecisive.

So far I have broken down my own pro/con list:

Pro

• Really cool, albeit crazy looking current sets.

This is personal preference, which means nothing for investors but being a bearded fellow myself, I absolutely love Metal Beard.

Expecting esthetics to bring profit isn

As an investor i don't really think i'll touch many of these sets. They seem a bit odd and haphazard to me, but i'm sure there will always be a couple that do well, only time will tell.

As a builder i really only want to get Metal Beard. The pirate/Mech mix is awesome and i intend to pick one up at some point. Might stay away from the Sea Cow, just seems a bit big to me.

If the movie does well and there are "iconic" scenes, well then the sets that are based on those scenes will do well.  I predict that there will be one or two odd sets that will do well also because of pure design, exclusive to one outlet, etc.   Another pro is that Lego really hasn't done sets like this before that I know of that seem to be just "thrown together" with a lot of different elements (reflective of the movie).  I'm playing the wait and see game, but I have a hunch that there will be a few winners in this bunch.

Unless the movie is insanely popular i wont be investing in these. Remember you invest in sets that ADULTS want to buy, not kids. Kids dont have $500 to drop on a rare retired lego set, adults with disposable income dont think twice about spending $500-1000 on sets like Market street or even more for the UCS millennium falcon. So unless it becomes obvious that this movie is going to be a cult classic amount AFOLs i wouldnt touch these sets for investment.

These sets remind me of the Time Cruisers theme from the mid-nineties. I am sure these will do much better, especially with a major movie backing them up, but they are still too strange for my investing taste. Maybe if the movie is still popular come next holiday season I might buy a few of the larger sets for quick flips (i.e. the dolphin cruiser), but none of these interest me long term. I'll spend my money elsewhere, like on exclusives.

I bought 3 (Glider, Ice Cream Truck, and Cuckoo) along w/ some other things when they first came out and TRU had them at MSRP and 25 off 100, so got them at 25% off and threw them in basement.

Daughter see Getaway Glider in store and wants it.  Buy it to build and sheesh---just a mess of parts that seem thrown together and the build was really flimsy.  I do like the minifigs that came w/ that particular set, but meh for the most part on these. I'm bearish on the movie as well.

I am in agreement with the general consensus of the thread thus far.  These sets are neat to look at since they are original and kinda wacky, but nothing about them seems to scream "investment winner!"  Too many variables at play here.  As others have said, the smart thing to do at this point is wait and see how the movie is received.  If it flops terribly, this could go the way of the Lone Ranger.  And the jury is still out on that one.

I will say this though... unless Metalbeard's Sea Cow is disappointing up close when it comes out, I think any money I spend on this theme will be going towards that set first and foremost.  As far as I can tell, it looks awesome, and people love ships!

I will get the UniKitty set for my daughter and I'm sure we'll get the ice cream truck for the city we are building because of the 2 in 1 build, not the movie build. Same goes for the trash truck. I'll get Benny's spaceship for myself and for when my son is old enough. I'll blame all of you guys for persuading me to get Metal beards mech thing and that's about it until i see the next wave. No investment sets for me in this theme so far.

I've already purchased the 9 CMFs I like from this set as well, so no more of those.

As people are saying, it depends on how the movie is received...I for one will be at the first showing and will be looking for the box office numbers and reviews.  As brickcrazyhouse said....if it does well and there is a second movie in a few years these all will be winners.

Worst case (i.e. movie bombs and these sets go the way of the dodo fast).  I would say the following are my ones to watch:

70807 - MetalBeard's Duel

70811 - The Flying Flusher

70813 - Rescue Reinforcements

MetalBeard's SeaCow of course

and Benny's Spaceship (I am going to have a fleet of these all to myself and most likely go broke in the process :P)

The others are descent and given the right sale I would pick any one of them up....

Just my two bricks....